2nd Illinois State School in B1G?

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Spoke with both Illinois state senators pushing bill to explore feasibility of 2nd state public school worthy of B1G inclusion. More to come</p>— ESPN Big Ten (@ESPN_BigTen) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPN_BigTen/statuses/448136696496812032">March 24, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

They better plan to start funding Northwestern, because I dont see any other school in that state that would bring anything to the table for the B1G to include them.

University of Chicago's triumphant return??

CBS: Illinois lawmakers want third in-state Big Ten school

Illinois State, Big Ten member? Southern Illinois-Edwardsville, Illinois's and Northwestern's new league rival?

It sounds far-fetched -- to put it politely -- but two Illinois Republicans argue that high admissions standards at the two current in-state Big Ten schools mean that the state should explore if another state school (like ISU or SIUE) could earn an invite to Jim Delany's league.

"'Big Ten,' to me, means a top state school,” state senator Michael Connelly said, per the Chicago Sun-Times. “There's a lot of pride in that ... Indiana, Iowa [are] swooping in, and they're taking some of our really [academically] talented kids out of the state — and sometimes for good.”

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...-lawmakers-want-third-in-state-big-ten-school

Go Gophers!!

UC is still a BT member.....but Lake Forest on the other hand....

UC is still a BT member.....but Lake Forest on the other hand....

No they aren't. That is a myth. They are a member of the Committee on Institutional Cooperation along with all the B1G members. They left the conference in 1946.

From the folloing link: http://www.bigten.org/school-bio/big10-school-bio.html

After nearly 30 years as a 10-member conference, the conference consolidated to a nine-school league when the University of Chicago formally withdrew its membership in 1946. Michigan State College (now Michigan State University) was added to the Big Ten in 1949, bringing the number of affiliated conference schools to 10 once again.

Anyway, probably fairly irrelevant. U of Chicago will not be playing sports in the B1G anytime soon.

Regardless of quality of school, based off the last expansion the chances of any new school being in a state that the B1G is already in are very slim, assuming Notre Dame is still uninterested. Maybe if they got a big player like UNC or GT and couldn't find a second in a new state. But those would be very unrealistic scenarios.

If the big was desperate for one or more new teams, Iowa State and/or Kansas are leagues more realistic than another Illinois school.

Neither of them are close to the Big 10 academically.

Illinois State, Big Ten member? Southern Illinois-Edwardsville, Illinois's and Northwestern's new league rival?

It sounds far-fetched -- to put it politely -- but two Illinois Republicans argue that high admissions standards at the two current in-state Big Ten schools mean that the state should explore if another state school (like ISU or SIUE) could earn an invite to Jim Delany's league.

"'Big Ten,' to me, means a top state school,” state senator Michael Connelly said, per the Chicago Sun-Times. “There's a lot of pride in that ... Indiana, Iowa [are] swooping in, and they're taking some of our really [academically] talented kids out of the state — and sometimes for good.”

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...-lawmakers-want-third-in-state-big-ten-school

Go Gophers!!

Am I reading this right? The two senators feel that because some kids from Illinois are leaving the state, the B1G should allow another Illinois school to keep them in-state? In that case, why don't the Minnesota politicians lobby for MSU-Mankato to join the B1G?! What a ridiculous idea...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Spoke with both Illinois state senators pushing bill to explore feasibility of 2nd state public school worthy of B1G inclusion. More to come</p>— ESPN Big Ten (@ESPN_BigTen) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPN_BigTen/statuses/448136696496812032">March 24, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This is much to do about nothing. Just a couple of knucklehead politicians trying to get the false hopes up of the most dimwitted of their constituents. Everyone knows that any future expansion is about marketshare which means the most likely candidate for B1G expansion would have to be UofM-Crookston.

Sorry, but NDSU, SDSU & UND would get into the Big Ten before another school from Illinois. Adding to the list of schools that would get in before another Illinois school? UConn, Boston College or Boston U, UMass-Lowell, the other UMass, SLU, Memphis, Boise St, Maine, Delaware, Vermont, the aforementioned Kansas, and why not, York University. Yeah, I think the B1G would prefer to expand into Canada than add another Illinois school. Oh, seems I forgot Rhode Is. lol

Haha, good stuff dpo.

While it would work great as the punchline to a "college football started in 1993" joke, Wisconsin actually did win the first Big Ten football championship in 1896. I'm not sure what 19 was getting at.

While it would work great as the punchline to a "college football started in 1993" joke, Wisconsin actually did win the first Big Ten football championship in 1896. I'm not sure what 19 was getting at.

For some reason I thought UC won the first Big Ten title. I'll leave it to others to figure out why.

Maybe I just saw Wisconsin and freaked out.

Wow, Illinois pi$$ing away tax dollars on a study that will lead to nothing? Color me shocked

Go Gophers!!

Apparently the Illinois legislators need more kids to think like a young Tom Cruise.

This is hysterical.

UC is the greatest university in the world.

Top Bottom