25 Worst College Football Towns in the Country

The article was pretty dumb even for a bleacher report article. It claims that the Gophers play in below zero temperatures, which is false. The average high in Minneapolis in November is 41 degrees, the average low in November is 26 degrees. This guy has no clue what the weather is like in Minnesota, and certainly not in relation to the weather relative to other northern cities, the difference is insignificant.

Average high for games played at home for October 15th and later this year.

Iowa = 60 degrees (4)
MN = 57 degrees (4)
WI = 56 degrees (3)
MI = 55 degrees (3)

Nothing annoys me more that someone in the mid-west stating how frigid Minnesota is compared to where they live (ie Chicago, Madison, Iowa). During the football season, it's practically a wash. It does get more extreme here between Jan-Apr. See attached for the High's & Low's by school. Not a big difference.

It's just something to jab Minnesota....it's about all they have.

Big Ten Season Temps.jpg

Nothing annoys me more that someone in the mid-west stating how frigid Minnesota is compared to where they live (ie Chicago, Madison, Iowa).

I found this amusing when I decided to move back to MN from Chicago where it's maybe 5-10 degrees warmer in winter. Is there any practical difference between 15 F and 25 F? It's not as if you're going to be running in shorts or grilling out, so your lifestyle in winter is basically the same. I prefer snow in December, rather than the miserable 35 degrees and rain we would sometimes get in Chicago.

How many of the 21 Gopher games played at TCF were played "in subzero temperatures" as the author claims? Just wondering.

If someone comes here in January just when there is a blast of arctic air, they will feel that cold, and see it as confirmation that Minnesota is just an especially cold place. If they stay at home and get hit by that same blast of arctic air, they won't think that their city is especially cold, they will just think that this is an unusually cold day.

Minneapolis is a bad college football town. Fickle fanbase, lack of tailgating space, traditionally a bad to mediocre team, small(er) stadium, mediocre student support, etc. At a good college football town, the entire town is a party on game day, not so in Minneapolis.

Minneapolis is a bad college football town. Fickle fanbase, lack of tailgating space, traditionally a bad to mediocre team, small(er) stadium, mediocre student support, etc. At a good college football town, the entire town is a party on game day, not so in Minneapolis.

I may be a little biased as having grown up in the Twin Cities, but I think Minneapolis is a great city. Of all Big Ten cities I'd say it's easily top 2 as a city (right up with Chicago). But for the same reasons you mention above, it's not necessarily a great college town, much like Chicago, LA, or Philadelphia. Life here doesn't revolve around the University of Minnesota. In Madison, Ann Arbor, Iowa City, Columbia, etc. it does revolve around the local university.

Ya, that's cause there is something else to do in Minneapolis. If that's what it will take, I don't think we'll ever get there.

Right...50 years is recently?

In the context of 130 years...yes, 50 years is recently. The first 80 years of Gopher football were great, and not so much for the last 50. The inability of some people to look at things historically is mind-boggling to me. I'd expect as much from Wisconsin fans, since football started there in 1993, but not from a fan of a program with a 130-year history.

Q: How many DI-A programs have as many or more national championships than Minnesota?
A: 8 (Alabama, Notre Dame, Michigan, USC, Oklahoma, Ohio St., and Pittsburgh)

Q: How many DI-A programs have as many or more national championships than Wisconsin?
A: All of them.

No matter how you look at it, we are in the top 7% of programs historically, and I'm supposed to go along with "traditionally...bad to mediocre"? Sorry, I'm not buying it. "Traditionally outstanding" is more like it.

Minneapolis as a city - great, fantastic in every way except the winters can be tough

Minneapolis as a college town - pretty awesome place

Minneapolis as a college football town - poor. We're a hell of a lot better off than we were during the dome years, but the gameday scene here is much worse than every other BCS gameday I've visited (maybe 12 or so spread across the county).

I think the barn can be saved at some point. People WANT to get into Gopher basketball, but this is some run of luck the last couple years. I hope the culture changes at TCF, but I feel like it'll be a twenty year process. I've never been to a game at Northwestern - can anyone tell me if it's a wild and crazy time? My instincts tell me it's not and never will be. I think they're similar to us being in a large metropolitan area.

I've never been to a game at Northwestern - can anyone tell me if it's a wild and crazy time? My instincts tell me it's not and never will be. I think they're similar to us being in a large metropolitan area.

You can't compare Northwestern to Minnesota. 100% different in every aspect, outside of playing the same sport in the same conference.

You can still say its a bad college football town...

No matter how you look at it, we are in the top 7% of programs historically, and I'm supposed to go along with "traditionally...bad to mediocre"? Sorry, I'm not buying it. "Traditionally outstanding" is more like it.
We may have some historical success, but we absolutely do not have a winning tradition. It's not a "tradition" of winning if you haven't won in half a century, traditions are ongoing and repeated on a regular basis. USC has a tradition of winning, Alabama has a tradition of winning, we don't.

Ya sure Minnesota is cold. It was 35 degrees yesterday in Brainerd. Mid 30's this weekend. No snow on the ground. A week and half ago I was thinking of putting my dock back in.

You can't compare Northwestern to Minnesota. 100% different in every aspect, outside of playing the same sport in the same conference.

I don't think the two schools/programs are very similar. I just think it's disadvantageous for a football program to be in a large metropolitan area. Off the top of my head, they would be the two big ten schools that fit that description.

Top Bottom