247Sports Interview w/ Fleck

Westfield Gopher

Reaction score
Parts 1 and 2 can be found in the link.

Great interview. Elite recruiting story at the end of Part 3.

"Fleck: I think if you asked my wife Heather, there was one time I won't tell you where, but I love to eat, I love recruiting, and I love going out and eating. And we eat some very exotic things during in-home visits, and I'm all about it.

However, I'm kind of limited, how much I eat now in people's homes to not offend anybody, however there was one time when I was the head football coach at the prior school I was at. I love to eat at parties as I'd be the guy to just eat everything on the table and I ate some some some spinach dip. I loved spinach dip, but then I go so sick in the middle of a home visit.

I am just pale green and I'm doing everything I can to make sure that that I'm not going to throw up all over their like their sofa. And you got to keep bringing it and keep bringing it and as I keep bringing I am just pouring sweat. My coach with me looked at me like, oh my gosh coaches really get into this, then they kind of knew that I was getting a little sick. But I wasn't going to say anything. I was going to keep going. If I threw up, I was going to swallow it back down and keep moving because we need the kid.

We get in the car and I tell the coach with me that you have to get me somewhere fast because it doesn't matter where it comes out from, it's not going to be good. He got me to a Starbucks. And I still remember that there was a line to the actual bathroom and I'm sitting this can't be much worse. Not only that, I had two more home visits that night.

And every time I went into next home, they had this huge smorgasbord and it was one of those experiences I'll never forget because I was so sick. And you still had to Row The Boat man. You still had to change your best and at those next two places you still had to eat and still had to force it down. But I would probably say that was the most unique experience I ever had that people talk about on my staff to this day. I don't think I've ever had spinach dip in anybody's house ever ever since.

It was completely worth it though as we signed all three of those guys and they were game-changers for us."

Top Bottom