247 Sports: 2016-17 Gophers basketball preview

Cayman

Reaction score
My overall season prediction has the Gophers ending with a 17-15 record (7-11 in the Big Ten). This is a decent improvement over last season, though it still may fall short of fans expectations. I like the Gophers to win at least one of their three big non-conference games (against Arkansas, Florida State, and Vanderbilt), though I expect they'll drop at least one game to a lesser team as well. For that upset, I'm picking UT-Arlington, which returns just about everyone this year and pulled off a couple of nice upsets last season.

http://minnesota.247sports.com/Article/2016-17-Gophers-Basketball-Preview-48661742

He predicts our record and lineups, but probably the best part of the article is farther down where the author explains why he's still a believer in Pitino, and I'm inclined to agree with him. Early recruiting missteps, like Lofton, McNeil, and Martin blowing up in our faces, or setting our sights a little too high on top 50 and 5-star players from out of state in 2014, or near missing on Reid Travis, were a fairly significant reason for why we were so bad last year. We could have had a couple upperclassmen guards to go with Mason, and maybe not had to force Dorsey and McBrayer to play 20 minutes a game. If Pitino is learning from past mistakes, and isn't a moron when it comes to x's and o's, he and his staff have shown that they can recruit, and I think sticking with him could pay off down the line.

It's pretty good, I think we beat UT Arlington because Pitino's been hyping them at every turn. I'am thinking 10-3 or 11-2 in non con.I do think they find away to beat Maryland and or Michigan at home, but not sure about winning at NW or PSU. Those teams aren't doormats anymore and quite frankly winning on the road in this league is hard

Top Bottom