21 True Freshmen Played for Vols on Sunday.

I think it's a little different in the SEC. The players are so highly rated, that the assumption is that they'll leave early for the NFL anyway - making the 5th year senior type player more of a novelty.

I think it's a little different in the SEC. The players are so highly rated, that the assumption is that they'll leave early for the NFL anyway - making the 5th year senior type player more of a novelty.

Or possibly the revolving door at coach there has caused any players with a pulse to transfer at their first opportunity. The program is becoming so irrelevant that the trend will likely continue. Vanderbilt is very close to passing them in prestige. And that is saying something. The new coach did have a winning record last year, so maybe they can turn a corner.

Or possibly the revolving door at coach there has caused any players with a pulse to transfer at their first opportunity. The program is becoming so irrelevant that the trend will likely continue. Vanderbilt is very close to passing them in prestige. And that is saying something. The new coach did have a winning record last year, so maybe they can turn a corner.

Every ladder Vandy climbed under Franklin pretty much crashed last Thursday.

Every ladder Vandy climbed under Franklin pretty much crashed last Thursday.

Both them and Wake Forest had crushing losses. You are correct, they very well could slide right back into irrelevancy as well.

Can we please not talk about this game :'(

Take solace in the fact that Tennessee could lose every one of its SEC games...plus they will get killed in Norman a week from Saturday. Have you seen that schedule? I can't imagine there's one tougher.

Oh yea right, hell the SEC is another damn NFL! Get serious, no good team is going to rely on 21 freshman. Maybe, just a few couldn't staying school, or maybe the new coach cleaned house, or maybe nobody wants to go to Tennessee. There is so much hype about the SEC that it is ridiculous.

I just finished reading On Rocky Top- a front row seat to the end of an era. The author, Clay Travis had special access to Tennessee in Fulmer's last year. It is a pretty good book and by the end, Travis has come to see that Tennessee may be making a big mistake by firing Fulmer (and hiring Kiffin). That turned out to be pretty true as Tennessee has never come back to being a power in the SEC. It also documents how quickly fans turn on a coach and a program in the internet age.

Fulmer comes across as a pretty good guy.

http://www.amazon.com/Rocky-Top-Fro...qid=1409771873&sr=1-8&keywords=phillip+fulmer

Take solace in the fact that Tennessee could lose every one of its SEC games...plus they will get killed in Norman a week from Saturday. Have you seen that schedule? I can't imagine there's one tougher.

How would that make me feel better? I'd rather they win the SEC. All I can say is that that team is legitimately good. They didn't beat up on some cupcake, many picked us to be the best non power-5 conference team. We made a lot of mistakes but that was no fluke, the Vols could make some noise this year.

The only solace I can really take is I'm starting at a new school on the 10th and can now just watch the Aggies as a fan.

They could but I think they get 2-3 wins in conference. (Vandy, Kentucky, and Mizzou???)
5-7 / 6-6 is best they will do.

Oh yea right, hell the SEC is another damn NFL! Get serious, no good team is going to rely on 21 freshman. Maybe, just a few couldn't staying school, or maybe the new coach cleaned house, or maybe nobody wants to go to Tennessee. There is so much hype about the SEC that it is ridiculous.

Yikes...I didn't mean to strike such a chord. I agree that SEC hype gets a little overblown at times, but I do think they end up playing true freshman more often than some other conferences. Now, I can't speak specifically to the situation at Tennessee - it was just something I've noticed while living in SEC country. I was watching an interview with Les Miles, and he was speaking about 'playing as a true freshman' being a major selling point for his program, and how it was a necessity because he loses so many juniors every year. I bet it's analogous to what we, as Gopher hockey fans, go through.

Top Bottom