2024 Softball Portal

As we softball fans wait in fear for who could wind up on the portal to transfer out, it is worth mentioning that to date, the Gophers have net-gained by transfers over the past 10 years or so in my opinion. The Gophers have done a really good job, through the instability of two coaching changes, to retain players who were already in the starting lineup at the time they transferred out.

To my memory the big losses of regular starters were Lindaman to Florida in 2018 and then Leavitt to Texas A&M and Evans to UCF in 2022 (and even as of yesterday, that Evans can hit).

That is a quite good record of retention in this world. Let’s hope the retention work is again well done by the Gopher coaches this Spring and Summer.

MacKenzie Denson had a good year at Tulsa. Wish she would have gotten more of a chance at MN.

Addie Leschber has entered the portal. The portal officially opened today. There will be many more players entering in the next few days. Hopefully, the Gophers will keep theirs. Thanks, Addie. Good Luck!

Last edited:

I do not like that transfer. I was always pro-Leschber. I though she has a beautiful swing with a lot of upside potential on our team.

Yes, I always thought her potential far exceeded actual results. She had some good games early in both her seasons but never could really get going in conference play.

I think she needs to play where she is the bona fide starter and I didn’t see that happening here.

On the flip side, portal losses = opportunities to pick up even better players from the portal.

So we will see when everything shakes out whether this was a net gain or net loss.

Yes, I always thought her potential far exceeded actual results. She had some good games early in both her seasons but never could really get going in conference play.

I think she needs to play where she is the bona fide starter and I didn’t see that happening here.

On the flip side, portal losses = opportunities to pick up even better players from the portal.

So we will see when everything shakes out whether this was a net gain or net loss.
I liked Addie and hoped that she would improve. As a lefty, her chances to play in the field were the outfield or first base. Unfortunately, she was not able to win a position in the field and was in a battle for the DH. She won the battle part way through the season. However, she hit around .210 with mediocre power. A DH needs to do more than that. I wish her the best of luck wherever she lands.

Now that 48 teams have been eliminated from the tournament, there may be more activity in the portal.

Top Bottom