2024 Recruiting

Still hoping to get Trinity Wilson and Zubich in this class.

Highlights are highlights but Wirth appears to have a good instinct for the game. And finally some size! I think that there is a lot to work with here. Her ability to hit the outside shot and also put the ball on the floor should keep the defenses off balance. Passes out of the double effectively. Tracks rebounds and blocks out. I love the ability to call the ball on the block and seal off the defender as she slides towards the basket. Keeps the ball up high in the post.

She does not appear to move quickly but this is deceiving as she runs the floor with effort. I think that she can be a very effective player with some additional polishing.

Interesting player....I've seen her play twice. Not real good competition. She was probably facing 5'7"-5'8" post players in those games. She's got time to improve.....you can't teach that kind of size.

Now that the Tessa bandaid has been ripped off, the Gophers are off to the class of 2024 in recruiting. Guessing they will try and make a slash in portal before next year but we have seen how that has worked out before. Here is the known 2024 Gopher Offers, with notes at the bottom with updates.

Offered/In-State:

Jordan Zubich,
5’10 G, Mountain Iron-Buhl HS

Out of State Offers:

Allie Ziebell,
6’0 W, Neenah HS (WI) ESPN Ranked #5 (out of super 60)

Britt Prince, 5’11 G, Elkhorn North HS (NE) ESPN Ranked #10 (out of super 60)

Tahj Bloom, 6’3 F, Grayslake Community (IL) ESPN Ranked #38 (out of Top 60)

Teagan Mallegni, 6’0 G, McFarland HS (WI) ESPN Ranked #59 (out of Top 60)

Berry Wallace, 6’1 W, Pinkerington Central HS (OH)

Chloe Spreen, 5’9 G, Bedford North Lawrence (IN)

Avery Howell, 6’0 G, Boise (ID)

Angelina Smith, 5’9 G, Bolingbrook HS (IL)

Kayl Petersen, 6’0 F, Waupun Area HS (WI)

Amiah Hargrove, 6’2 W, Christopher HS (IL)

Taylor Stremlow, 5’10 G, Verona HS (WI)

-Zubich is interested and likes Minnesota, but her Middle name is Literally CAROLINA. If the North Carolina Offer comes, it likely ends the recruitment and have heard a visit to UNC is pending before the 22-23 high school season starts.

-I've heard Trinity Wilson's offer was pulled after Alyssa Wirth commit.

-In regards to the four WI Players in 2024 with offers...

*Ziebell likely wayyyyyy out of their chances
*Petersen assumed to be going to Marquette
*Mellegni sounds like has an unofficial top 3 that doesn't include gophers

If it was me advising on strategic planning, I would pass on the 2024 guards Olivia Olson and Alivia McGill of Minnesota. Instead I'd:

-Focus on retaining the players the Gophers have -- especially the current top guards. Once the Gophers start making big headlines next season they will surely have transfer portal opportunities. Keep them home.

-Reload in 2025 by focusing on the elite Aaliyah Crump and other 2025 prospects.

-Fortify depth. Can always use another hard-to-find "big."

Melissa Maines has been elevated to the title of Assistant AD/General Manager of Women's Basketball. That's a great move, even historic.

In the new world of college basketball -- and the big-time Big Ten -- the school needs to win at things other than what the coaches are doing.

So when South Carolina and $25,000 per year comes calling for Crump, let's be clear that Melissa Maines has the ball. If that means saving up in advance with a 3-year plan, great. Do whatever it takes to empower Maines to make that shot. And in the interim Maines should be working relationships in the community to build the support to reload this program after the Fab 4 approach the end of their historic run.

If it was me advising on strategic planning, I would pass on the 2024 guards Olivia Olson and Alivia McGill of Minnesota. Instead I'd:

-Focus on retaining the players the Gophers have -- especially the current top guards. Once the Gophers start making big headlines next season they will surely have transfer portal opportunities. Keep them home.

-Reload in 2025 by focusing on the elite Aaliyah Crump and other 2025 prospects.

-Fortify depth. Can always use another hard-to-find "big."

Melissa Maines has been elevated to the title of Assistant AD/General Manager of Women's Basketball. That's a great move, even historic.

In the new world of college basketball -- and the big-time Big Ten -- the school needs to win at things other than what the coaches are doing.

So when South Carolina and $25,000 per year comes calling for Crump, let's be clear that Melissa Maines has the ball. If that means saving up in advance with a 3-year plan, great. Do whatever it takes to empower Maines to make that shot. And in the interim Maines should be working relationships in the community to build the support to reload this program after the Fab 4 approach the end of their historic run.
you would pass on Olivia Olson? she is the #1 PLAYER IN MINNESOTA for the 24' you'd pass on getting the #1player? are you kidding? so you'd also pass on Tessa Johnson, because we already have guards? c'mon now

you would pass on Olivia Olson? she is the #1 PLAYER IN MINNESOTA for the 24' you'd pass on getting the #1player? are you kidding? so you'd also pass on Tessa Johnson, because we already have guards? c'mon now
Despite efforts by Minnesota, Tessa Johnson signed with South Carolina and Olivia Olson has committed to MI. Is there a point to continue recruiting them?

Despite efforts by Minnesota, Tessa Johnson signed with South Carolina and Olivia Olson has committed to MI. Is there a point to continue recruiting them?
I am sure both players talked with Whalen after their respective commitments and made it clear whether they were 100% solid or not. I do not see many basketball players flip their commitments. Depending on their relationship, Whalen may reach out on occasion to check in but it is highly likely that the Gophers have moved on.

yes I know but reading his post it sounded like he meant he would straight up pass on them if they weren't already committed.. that's all.. I'm just saying had they not committed I'd still be pushing to get them to come here.. you can never have enough good guards..

Taylor Stremlow, 5’10 G, Verona HS (WI) announced top 4 on Instagram and Gophers not on it. Final Four are Wisconsin, Iowa, Penn State and Illinois so wherever it will be a Gopher opponent.

Here is the updated known or at least have not publicly pulled or removed gophers from list 2024 offers.

Offered/In-State:

Jordan Zubich,
5’10 G, Mountain Iron-Buhl HS

Out of State Offers:

Allie Ziebell,
6’0 W, Neenah HS (WI) ESPN Ranked #5 (out of super 60)

Britt Prince, 5’11 G, Elkhorn North HS (NE) ESPN Ranked #10 (out of super 60)

Tahj Bloom, 6’3 F, Grayslake Community (IL) ESPN Ranked #38 (out of Top 60)

Teagan Mallegni, 6’0 G, McFarland HS (WI) ESPN Ranked #59 (out of Top 60)

Berry Wallace, 6’1 W, Pinkerington Central HS (OH)

Chloe Spreen, 5’9 G, Bedford North Lawrence (IN)

Avery Howell, 6’0 G, Boise (ID)

Angelina Smith, 5’9 G, Bolingbrook HS (IL)

Amiah Hargrove, 6’2 W, Christopher HS (IL)

Once again Facts to Consider:

*Ziebell likely wayyyyyy out of their chances

*Mellegni sounds like has an unofficial top 3 that doesn't include gophers

*Zubich is visiting UNC this weekend, so that could be close to be over recruitment wise.

*There is some questions if Trinity Wilson has her offer back or no. She was sitting behind the Gopher bench at the last game next to Alyssa Wirth so many gophers going for two post players in this class.

Jordan Zubich received an offer from North Carolina.

I could be wrong, but any recruit who has put a top however many they choose has not seemed to pick the Gophers. I felt like they had a chance with Johnson, but usually I don’t even feel like they have a chance. I don’t like these kids wasting the Gophers time. As for Zubich…..I think it would be foolish to go anywhere besides Minnesota. I know her Dad coaches football, which would make attending early games tough. She would get a ton of support from local fans if she went to Minnesota. I can almost guarantee MIB would be represented at every game. (I compare her to Wagner) However I have said, if they don’t want to be gophers I don’t want them. This current team is a bunch of kids who want to be gophers, and WILL be successful soon.

I could be wrong, but any recruit who has put a top however many they choose has not seemed to pick the Gophers. I felt like they had a chance with Johnson, but usually I don’t even feel like they have a chance. I don’t like these kids wasting the Gophers time. As for Zubich…..I think it would be foolish to go anywhere besides Minnesota. I know her Dad coaches football, which would make attending early games tough. She would get a ton of support from local fans if she went to Minnesota. I can almost guarantee MIB would be represented at every game. (I compare her to Wagner) However I have said, if they don’t want to be gophers I don’t want them. This current team is a bunch of kids who want to be gophers, and WILL be successful soon.
While I agree usually a list can sometimes signal not picking gophers, I think it more so has to do with the amount of contact the player has to deal with. When they do the top 5,6 10 etc, other schools (usually) stop reaching out so it's less time making call backs etc.

Players like Heyer, Braun and Holloway had final lists but did not publicly post or name them. I will always appreciate a player like Maya Nnaji not having the gophers on her final 13 list. She wasn't interested and didn't waste their time. Heyer had a final 4, Nia had a final four and Mara had a final 6.

I wouldn't say to put a ton of weight into final lists. I say a more tell-tale sign is where are they going for their official visits. Right now GBB only gets four officials so those four schools a good indicator which schools are in the lead or legit contention.

Last edited:

Believe she only took 1 official visit, to her "dream school" North Carolina, think we can all see where this is headed.
guess some kids just need the attention even when there is really no decision to be made.:sneaky:

It'll be pathetic if anyone besides parents and teammates and coach show up. Anyone else who would attend something like this needs to get a life.
I’m guessing when you’re from a small town (or collection thereof), there might be a lot of people show up.

I’m guessing when you’re from a small town (or collection thereof), there might be a lot of people show up.
Like that episode of Married with Children, where they are on vacation in Dumpwater, Florida and the event that weekend or whatever was to "meet the man who met Andy Griffith"! And all the locals were supposedly excited.

I suppose this could be the same. Show up at the school and stand next to your neighbor, pretend to care, then head to the local dairy queen with everyone else and gossip about it for the rest of the day.

Something to be said about being in a metropolitan area....

Like that episode of Married with Children, where they are on vacation in Dumpwater, Florida and the event that weekend or whatever was to "meet the man who met Andy Griffith"! And all the locals were supposedly excited.

I suppose this could be the same. Show up at the school and stand next to your neighbor, pretend to care, then head to the local dairy queen with everyone else and gossip about it for the rest of the day.

Something to be said about being in a metropolitan area....
These comments are ridiculous. This is a big thing for a small Iron Range town who supports its programs (football too) with a lot of pride. There's no need to belittle it or a young person who has worked very hard to put herself in a position like this. She also did two official visits and not one.

And it has really has nothing to do with metro vs. outstate. For so long the towns on the Range and Duluth have been all about hockey, so it's fun to celebrate great events and hard work like this in other sports where kids are having success.

There are more northern girls basketball players who will be going D1 over the next 2 - 5 years, and a sophomore at Duluth Marshall received his first D1 offer the other day named Brooks Johnson. His sister Chloe is one of the top 7th graders in the whole country. Regan Juenemann is also a sophomore at Duluth Marshall and is getting some nice D1 attention. Again, there is no need to tear these kids down.

Last edited:

These comments are ridiculous. This is a big thing for a small Iron Range town who supports its programs (football too) with a lot of pride. There's no need to be belittle it or a young person who has worked very hard to put herself in a position like this. She also did two official visits and not one. And it has really has nothing to do with metro vs. outstate. For so long the towns on the Range and Duluth have been all about hockey, so it's fun to celebrate great events and hard work like this in other sports where kids are having success. There are more northern girls basketball players who will be going D1 over the next 2 - 5 years, and a sophomore at Duluth Marshall received his first D1 offer the other day named Brooks Johnson. His sister Chloe is one of the top 7th graders in the whole country. Again, there is no need to tear these kids down.
This is 100% correct. Be happy for these kids. My goodness, imagine if it were your own kid, would you want people to be happy for them and celebrate them? This isn't a small school thing. This happens everywhere.

Regarding it being foolish to go anywhere besides Minnesota...while I don't agree with this at all (the Gophers need to earn recruits vs. automatically assuming they will get kids just because someone is a native Minnesotan) pretty soon that will mean St. Thomas. When that new arena gets built, this program will be getting even more Minnesota hoopers.

Last edited:

I've seen her play a handful of times. She's a project (and there's nothing wrong with that)....but the stats look great in part because of the competition she plays against. Just not a lot of high level players from smaller schools in Western WI. She towers over her competition on most nights and to her credit, uses that size to put up big numbers. Hope that can translate to the B10.

Truthfully I think with the roster where its at now and the limited scholarships available for the next couple years I think using the remaining scholarships on transfer guards is more important than high schoolers. Theres a good young core to build around now, hit the transfer market the next couple years and then hit the 25 and 26 classes hard and since some Zubich supporters showed up over night this has nothing to do with her.

Last edited:

Top Bottom