2024 Offensive Line

well, Boe and Shaw are done. assuming everyone returns,
you have Ersery, Cooper, Johnson, Lewis and Carroll as the top 5 linemen. the big question is who plays Center? do they move Johnson to C, or bring up one of the younger OL candidates at C?

without a depth chart, I honestly couldn't tell you who the backup C was this season.

you have Ersery, Cooper, Johnson, Lewis and Carroll as the top 5 linemen. the big question is who plays Center? do they move Johnson to C, or bring up one of the younger OL candidates at C?

without a depth chart, I honestly couldn't tell you who the backup C was this season.

You missed Nathan Roy. Otherwise good stuff.

I believe I saw Cade McConnell listed as the back up center during the season. I think Karter Shaw got looks at center as well, but he is out of eligibility.

Johnson could be an All-American and the next JMS, if he would agree to give Center a shot. Good path to the NFL too.

Not that he couldn't do just as well at Guard. But we have Cooper and Lewis already at Guard, and we will need a rock solid Center for the next three years.

Just sayin

...Not that he couldn't do just as well at Guard. But we have Cooper and Lewis already at Guard, and...

How does Roy fit in? I don't know all the o-line real well. I have to think he will play.

He would have to be really good to play as a true FR. Yes, Greg Johnson got playing time, but in general the Gophers - and most B1G teams for that matter - would prefer to have an OL of more veteran players to get the most experience and strength out there.

maybe Roy is that kind of player who can jump in right away - but he would be the exception and not the rule.

Besides Roy, we also have Brett Carroll in the 2024 class. He is playing, along with Roy and Perich, in the HS All American game. Slotted as a Center I believe. Might not play in 2024 at C, but he will be getting groomed.

Last edited:

How does Roy fit in? I don't know all the o-line real well. I have to think he will play.
My opinion (nothing more):

there was no valid reason for Johnson to play. He did fine. But he didn't add anything over Cooper or Lewis.

I wild guess that Fleck's hand was forced there, in some sense. Either had to promise to play him as a true freshman in order to get him here, or felt like he had to do that to prevent him from transferring out. Something like that is my wild guess. I could easily be wrong.

It just never made a lick of sense to me why you want to disrupt the cohesion of the OL (very important) in order to throw an 18 year old out there who is, like I said, fine, but not in any way better than your starter. Made no sense to me.

So ... sure, Roy could end up in a rotation, in that sense.

To me, I would never play an 18 year old at OL, if I could help it. I also would never rotate guys on the OL. You don't need to. Cohesion is more important there than "freshness". Opposite of the DL, there.

Wasn’t sure about him. Four Gophers in the HS All American game has got to be a first for us.
Is this the only such game?

No offense meant even in the slightest .... but part of me wonders if they have certain criteria for "geographic diversity" in order to maximize ratings?

It's not like playing in this game shows you off to colleges. You're committed before you ever play.

I’d like to see four new starters along with Ersery. I’ll take the growing pains. I don’t think the returning kids who started other than him are plus B10 players and we may have several stars in waiting not even counting the incoming freshmen.

I’d like to see four new starters along with Ersery. I’ll take the growing pains. I don’t think the returning kids who started other than him are plus B10 players and we may have several stars in waiting not even counting the incoming freshmen.
Since Boe, Shaw, Cooper(I think) are out of eligibility, you're focusing on the right side....Carroll and Lewis?

Carroll was HM all B1G this year. A lot of people believe he's better suited at G. I'd like to see that change and see how he performs at a position suited to his strengths.

The question is, have the Gophers recruited other tackles that can step in??

Last edited:

I’ve been thinking about this a lot as it seems this is the group that needs to be improved/replaced to keep the focal point of our team. All the skill positions are in good shape, and besides Nubins spot, the defense looks to be solid throughout.

I think Cooper/Carroll return (could be wrong) so it’s more about replacing the interior and strengthening the right side. I think it’s rather telling that the staff hasn’t prioritized OL transfers in the portal thus far.

I think ideally Ersery and Cooper keep the left side. On the right I'd like a body already in the room to step up for the RT position. Someone like Tripp/Nelson/Purcell? That allows a massive amount of talent to slide into the G/C positions. Carroll at RG and then center should be someone who plans to stay there for their career.

Give me: Ersery, Cooper, McConnell, Carroll, Purcell

McConnell was the “back up center” and Purcell is an older player who was a borderline 4star coming out of HS. This then leaves you with Johnson/Lewis who have experience, Ruschmeyer/Hunter who have some age. Avoid playing true freshman at any cost, there’s guys like Alvarez, Williams, Tripp, and Nelson who are young but seem to have the talent to start sometime soon.

I’ve been thinking about this a lot as it seems this is the group that needs to be improved/replaced to keep the focal point of our team. All the skill positions are in good shape, and besides Nubins spot, the defense looks to be solid throughout.

I think Cooper/Carroll return (could be wrong) so it’s more about replacing the interior and strengthening the right side. I think it’s rather telling that the staff hasn’t prioritized OL transfers in the portal thus far.

I think ideally Ersery and Cooper keep the left side. On the right I'd like a body already in the room to step up for the RT position. Someone like Tripp/Nelson/Purcell? That allows a massive amount of talent to slide into the G/C positions. Carroll at RG and then center should be someone who plans to stay there for their career.

Give me: Ersery, Cooper, McConnell, Carroll, Purcell

McConnell was the “back up center” and Purcell is an older player who was a borderline 4star coming out of HS. This then leaves you with Johnson/Lewis who have experience, Ruschmeyer/Hunter who have some age. Avoid playing true freshman at any cost, there’s guys like Alvarez, Williams, Tripp, and Nelson who are young but seem to have the talent to start sometime soon.

Carroll referenced in the post, Quinn Carroll:

The Carroll coming in, Brett Carroll:

Stability is something that will help the Gophers and OL takes time to gel. There are teams transforming through the portal and OL isn’t a group you want to be doing that IMO.

There will probably be some of the most intense competition on the OL this spring and we’ll see what it looks like in March.

I’d like to see our tackles better at pass protection.

My opinion (nothing more):

there was no valid reason for Johnson to play. He did fine. But he didn't add anything over Cooper or Lewis.

I wild guess that Fleck's hand was forced there, in some sense. Either had to promise to play him as a true freshman in order to get him here, or felt like he had to do that to prevent him from transferring out. Something like that is my wild guess. I could easily be wrong.

It just never made a lick of sense to me why you want to disrupt the cohesion of the OL (very important) in order to throw an 18 year old out there who is, like I said, fine, but not in any way better than your starter. Made no sense to me.

So ... sure, Roy could end up in a rotation, in that sense.

To me, I would never play an 18 year old at OL, if I could help it. I also would never rotate guys on the OL. You don't need to. Cohesion is more important there than "freshness". Opposite of the DL, there.
My speculation is that Johnson earned the starting spot.

On paper Quinn Carroll would hold the right tackle spot. All-Big Ten Honorable Mention 2022, 2023. Started most games at RT, especially tougher games.

Seems like Gophers are deep at guard. Moving Quinn Carroll to guard makes that glut even worse. Unless like someone said someone else could actually be better at right tackle.

Does anyone think Nathan Roy will play tackle?

Power 5 Scholarship Offers: Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, Kentucky, Miami, Michigan State, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Penn State, Syracuse, Tennessee, UCLA, USC, and Wisconsin

Roy is a monster. Watch his highlights and you’ll see him mauling one defender after another. Checking in at 6’5” and 275 lbs., these high school players simply don’t stand a chance. But more than that, Roy’s athleticism also stands out. Not only he is overpowering when blocking downhill, but he can also move well laterally and clear a path for ball carriers attacking the edge of the defense. His combination of size and athleticism is why he has more than a dozen Power 5 offers. This is a huge commitment — both figuratively and literally — for the Gophers.

Can play tackle or guard and should provide depth at both in college. Has room to add weight and get stronger, but could be someone who plays early in his career and projects as a multi-year starter at a Power Five institution and will have a chance to play beyond college.

--
Roy has a chance to play year 1. And you have to assume it's his spot for 3-4 years once you think he's ready. 4 star recruit.

Someone was mentioning center. So does new lineman Brett Carroll ideally get slotted for grooming to center where they want long-term stability? I assume he would be ready for that in his second season. I thought he was first a guard but now it sounds like center.

Left tackle Aireontae Ersery was All-Big 2nd team and AP first team. Started most games at LT especially harder games.

Now at this point I think the offensive line sounds on solid ground.

With the o-line I haven't paid enough attention to comment, and when I did read about it here at GH it went out of my memory. That is what I think I'm hearing.

And several names tossed around for maybe this or that, Lewis, Johnson...

Last edited:

Roy looks to be a real catch, but at 275 he's probably going to have to put on weight (this coming from someone who is really old and watched Milt Sunde play gurad/tackle at about 220 when at the U). I don't know how it works, but he might need a year to put on the weight without losing technique and mobility. By contrast, Johnson was already hovering around three bills when he came on board.

I'll let the experts figure all that out, but Roy looks like the real deal from reading all the scouting reports.

My speculation is that Johnson earned the starting spot.
Johnson wasn't the starter. He got two starts vs MSU and ILL when I believe Cooper was out or limited for some reason. Cooper started all other games.

https://gophersports.com/documents/2023/12/18/12.26.23_BowlingGreen_Notes.pdf
page 25

I have no doubt you meant that he earned the playing time. That's largely a semantics argument that I have no interest in.

What I "know" is that cohesion between the starting five guys is the most important thing on the OL. You don't need to rotate guys in there and my opinion is that is more detrimental than helpful. Hence why they don't do it at the NFL level, whereas they do rotate guys in at DL at that level.

Johnson played fine, but he didn't add anything beyond what Cooper and Lewis already provide.

Cooper and Lewis can (and I assume will) both come back. We have our guards. We need a center. Johnson could be the next JMS, if he is willing to commit to the position.

I'm intrigued by Johnson at center. But if McConnell is decent I'm not sure you take Johnson off the field at guard for him to learn the center position. Assuming it takes longer than an off-season to transition. Spring ball will answer a lot of questions.

If you mainly face 40 fronts, center is easier than guard. You're mainly double-teaming with a guard and/or climbing up to block an LB. Where it's a bitch is on 30 fronts. But we haven't faced too many of those in the Big Ten.

The hard part is getting snapping down, especially if you've never done it. That just takes reps after reps after reps.

Right, so from reading this, i've learned experience, size and everything else really doesnt matter when it comes to the Oline. So lets start 275 lb freshmen along with Ersery.

What a joke,

Size, Age, Experience and Technique matter. So lets not throw out the beef because we have a few shiny new toys.

Carroll did a nice job at RT,
Lewis was adequate at RG
C who knows with Boe graduating
LG Cooper was solid
Ersery was good at LT,

Freshmen at 275 cant compete immediately in the Big Ten.
Johnson already had the necessary bulk to play, but that's rare.

Who do you think will be the five starters for 2024?
Expect Nathan Roy to play right away. The kid is simply special. From all I’ve heard he’s made huge strides physically since the end of the season. Loves the game and loves his teammates, elite competitor. Easy to see why he loved Fleck and really connected with the team.

Johnson wasn't the starter. He got two starts vs MSU and ILL when I believe Cooper was out or limited for some reason. Cooper started all other games.

https://gophersports.com/documents/2023/12/18/12.26.23_BowlingGreen_Notes.pdf
page 25

I have no doubt you meant that he earned the playing time. That's largely a semantics argument that I have no interest in.

What I "know" is that cohesion between the starting five guys is the most important thing on the OL. You don't need to rotate guys in there and my opinion is that is more detrimental than helpful. Hence why they don't do it at the NFL level, whereas they do rotate guys in at DL at that level.

Johnson played fine, but he didn't add anything beyond what Cooper and Lewis already provide.

Cooper and Lewis can (and I assume will) both come back. We have our guards. We need a center. Johnson could be the next JMS, if he is willing to commit to the position.
Talent is the most important thing.

Maybe #51 Jerome Williams?

Expect Nathan Roy to play right away. The kid is simply special. From all I’ve heard he’s made huge strides physically since the end of the season. Loves the game and loves his teammates, elite competitor. Easy to see why he loved Fleck and really connected with the team.
If Fleck has to promise true freshmen playing right away to get them here, our OL rotation is going to be 20 guys per game in a couple years …

Top Bottom