3. Minnetonka (2), 4-0, 100
4. (tie) Shakopee, 4-0, 80
4. (tie) Edina, 3-1, 80
6. Eagan, 3-1, 55
7. Stillwater, 3-1, 42
8. Eden Prairie, 2-2, 33
9. Blaine, 3-1, 25
10. Anoka, 2-2, 8
Also receiving votes: Buffalo 7, Centennial 5, Lakeville South 3, St. Michael-Albertville 2.
CLASS 5A
1. Alexandria (9), 4-0, 117
2. Moorhead (2), 4-0, 106
3. Owatonna (1), 4-0, 91
4. Andover, 3-1, 78
5. Robbinsdale Armstrong, 4-0, 60
6. Elk River, 3-1, 59
7. Mankato West, 3-1, 53
8. Mankato East 3-1 29
9. St. Thomas Academy, 3-1, 16
10. Two Rivers, 4-0, 15
Also receiving votes: Minneapolis Washburn 9, Chanhassen 8, Rochester John Marshall 7, Chaska 6, Waconia 4, Monticello 1, Rogers 1
CLASS 4A
1. Becker (10), 4-0, 117
2. Totino-Grace (2), 4-0, 106
3. Orono, 4-0, 97
4. Duluth Denfeld, 4-0, 72
5. Providence Academy, 3-1, 67
6. Princeton, 4-0, 43
7. Byron, 3-1, 38
8. Hutchinson, 2-2, 23
9. Mound-Westonka, 3-1, 21
10. Rocori, 3-1, 15
Also receiving votes: North Branch 11, Detroit Lakes 10, Holy Angels 8, Kasson-Mantorville 8, Hill-Murray 5, St. Paul Johnson 5, Chisago Lakes 3, Marshall 3, Hermantown 1, New Ulm 1
CLASS 3A
1. Stewartville (12), 4-0, 120
2. Dassel-Cokato, 4-0, 104
3. Fairmont, 4-0, 84
4. Albany, 4-0, 78
5, Pequot Lakes, 4-0, 74
6. Holy Family, 4-0, 65
7. Waseca , 3-1, 41
8. Fergus Falls, 4-0, 35
9, (tie) Morris/Chokio-Alb., 4-0, 16
9. (tie) Pine Island, 3-1, 16
Also receiving votes: Pierz 11, Annandale 8, Luverne 8, Worthington 1
CLASS 2A
1. Barnesville (8), 4-0, 112
2. Eden Valley-Watkins, (1) 4-0, 103
3. Chatfield (3), 4-0, 98
4. Jackson County Central, 4-0, 82
5. Caledonia, 3-1, 54
6. Triton, 4-0, 49
7. Holdingford, 4-0, 44
8. Norwood Young America, 4-0, 36
9. Barnum, 4-0, 24
10. Cannon Falls, 3-1, 22
Also receiving votes: International Falls 15, Kimball Area 15, Pipestone Area 2, St. Agnes 1.
CLASS 1A
1. Minneota (12), 4-0, 120
2. Springfield, 4-0, 103
3. Mahnomen/Waubun, 4-0, 87
4. Goodhue, 4-0, 85
5. Belgrade-Brooten-Elrosa, 4-0, 66
6. Dawson-Boyd, 4-0, 51
7. Parkers Prairie, 4-0, 44
8. Upsala/Swanville, 4-0, 36
9. BOLD, 3-1, 33
10. Lester Prairie, 4-0, 10
Also receiving votes: Ada-Borup-West 9, Blooming Prairie 7, Fillmore Central 5, Browerville-Eagle Valley 2, Red Lake County 2.
NINE-PLAYER
1. Nevis (8), 4-0, 116
2. Mountain Iron-Buhl (3), 4-0, 103
3. Fertile-Beltrami (1), 4-0, 86
4. Hills-Beaver Creek, 4-0, 78
5. Cherry, 4-0, 60
6. LeRoy-Ostrander/Lyle-P, 4-0, 59
7. Spring Grove, 4-0, 50
8. Goodridge/Grygla, 4-0, 35
9. Fosston, 4-0, 19
10. Hancock, 4-0, 13
Also receiving votes: Kingsland 8, Mountain Lake Area 7, Stephen-Argyle 7, Bertha-Hewitt 6, Cromwell-Wright 5, Verndale 5.
Are there any teams in 9-man that have lost this year?

Eagan with the nice 2 pt win over Lakeville South and North with a 27-20 win over Farmington. Rosemount and Roch. Mayo were ppd. due to weather.

Eagan and North clash next Friday night at Lakeville North.
As a multi-decade resident and parent of two graduates, it's a little strange to see Eagan football do well. Aside from a couple of .500-ish years - and I mean a couple - they've been downright bad.

Just to add some color to the 2-point win over LS, Eagan had scored 21 unanswered to go up 35-27. LS scored with about 2 min left, went for two and failed, onside kicked and recovered (!), and was thwarted by an INT at the 7-yard line with 50 sec left. Heart stopper.

That was at home. At LN, I just don't think they'll have the same fortune.

As a multi-decade resident and parent of two graduates, it's a little strange to see Eagan football do well. Aside from a couple of .500-ish years - and I mean a couple - they've been downright bad.

Just to add some color to the 2-point win over LS, Eagan had scored 21 unanswered to go up 35-27. LS scored with about 2 min left, went for two and failed, onside kicked and recovered (!), and was thwarted by an INT at the 7-yard line with 50 sec left. Heart stopper.

That was at home. At LN, I just don't think they'll have the same fortune.
Hiring a competent coach matters. LN is banged up right now. 6A is wide open

Maybe, but the team I am close to is Rosemount and this is not a very good Rosemount team compared to previous years and yet they were right there with North who is supposedly the #1 team according to the rankings.
Maybe that just speaks to the fragility of Lakeville North's #1 ranking more than anything? From what I've seen, Shakopee, Minnetonka, and Edina are very, very good teams. They each field 22 solid football players. True, they may get banged up in the latter half of the season, and we will see if they can weather that, but right now I see them all as much better than just good. I honestly don't know much about Maple Grove as I have not seen them up close yet, but to have 11 Division-1 kids would imply the current state of the top 6A schools is as good as it's been in years. Mason West and Meyer Swinney at Edina are as elite a QB-WR combo as I can remember. I could be wrong (I often am, lol) but those four teams right now would all easily be contending for a state title five, ten, or 15 years ago.

Maybe that just speaks to the fragility of Lakeville North's #1 ranking more than anything? From what I've seen, Shakopee, Minnetonka, and Edina are very, very good teams. They each field 22 solid football players. True, they may get banged up in the latter half of the season, and we will see if they can weather that, but right now I see them all as much better than just good. I honestly don't know much about Maple Grove as I have not seen them up close yet, but to have 11 Division-1 kids would imply the current state of the top 6A schools is as good as it's been in years. Mason West and Meyer Swinney at Edina are as elite a QB-WR combo as I can remember. I could be wrong (I often am, lol) but those four teams right now would all easily be contending for a state title five, ten, or 15 years ago.
I think I would currently rate lakeville north 5th if I had a ranking.
1) maple grove
2) shakopee
3) minnetonka
4) Edina
5) North
6) Eagan
7) Stillwater
8) Blaine
9) Eden Prairie
10) Farmington

Would be my top 10

I think the 2017 season had maybe 15-20 teams that could be 5th this year.

I would definitely agree that North at #1 is probably not correct this year as they are nothing special. Will be fun to see how it all plays out. Haven't seen the trio of Shakopee, Minnetonka or Edina in action yet this year but will get a look at Shakopee in a few weeks.

13 4-0 team in 9 person.

some of that is due to geography and scheduling. if you look at the 9-people Districts, they tend to be clustered in the corners and borders of the state - where the smaller schools are located. so the good teams from one District don't face the good teams from another District. and depending on the number of teams in a district, the schedule may dictate that good teams in the same district don't face each other.

in SE MN, LeRoy-Ostrander/Lyle/Pacelli and Spring Grove are 4-0. they don't play each other in the regular season.

up north, Fertile-Beltrami and Fosston are 4-0. they don't meet in the regular season.

but there are other pending matchups of teams that are currently 4-0. Mt Lake Area and Hills-Beaver Creek will face off later in the year. #1 Nevis will face Cromwell-Wright. #2 Mountain Iron-Buhl will face #5 Cherry. #8 Goodridge-Grygla-Gatzke will face Stephen-Argyle.

so the number of undefeated teams will drop as the season continues.

Maybe, but the team I am close to is Rosemount and this is not a very good Rosemount team compared to previous years and yet they were right there with North who is supposedly the #1 team according to the rankings.
The North game was misleading. North made mistakes & Rosemount cashed-in, but by halftime North was back on top and had the momentum. The score looked close, but LN could have easily put up another TD at the end of the game, but decided to kneel on it.

This is a very down year for Rosemount. Not much top-end talent anywhere on the field. No depth. No special athletes.

The North game was misleading. North made mistakes & Rosemount cashed-in, but by halftime North was back on top and had the momentum. The score looked close, but LN could have easily put up another TD at the end of the game, but decided to kneel on it.

This is a very down year for Rosemount. Not much top-end talent anywhere on the field. No depth. No special athletes.
Rosemount led the game 21-17 at the end of the 3rd quarter.

Agree 100% that this is a down Rosemount team but North is a paper tiger in that #1 spot. They are definitely a better team than Rosemount but I don't think they are the #1 team in the state and I won't be surprised if Eagan finds a way to beat them on Friday.

Don't get me wrong, North is good they just aren't #1 good.

Top Bottom