2024 MN High School Football thread

6A Prediction time. Some of these are really tough. Let's hear your thoughts.....

Prior Lake @ Eden Prairie
Edina
@ Minnetonka
Shakopee @ Wayzata
Blaine @ Anoka
Park of Cottage Grove @ Buffalo
Maple Grove @ Centennial
Osseo @ Champlin Park
Stillwater
@ East Ridge
Rochester Mayo @ Farmington
Eastview
@ Hopkins
Lakeville North @ Lakeville South
Forest Lake
@ Mounds View
Eagan @ Rosemount
Burnsville @ Roseville
Woodbury @ White Bear Lake
St. Michael-Albertville
@ Coon Rapids
My different picks are: Anoka, Wayzata, and Lakeville North.

I live nowhere near the area and have zero knowledge on MN hs athletics, can anyone fill me in on why Roseville is never in any of the discussions for football (or anything else, for that matter). Thanks!

I live nowhere near the area and have zero knowledge on MN hs athletics, can anyone fill me in on why Roseville is never in any of the discussions for football (or anything else, for that matter). Thanks!
They had a really good season when they had an all state caliber QB

This was around idk which year? 2015?

But unless they randomly get a special class they just don’t have a great “football population”

More first and second generation immigrant families typicall = fewer football players compared to other schools same size.

Similar challenges as Hopkins, Burnsville, etc

But unless they randomly get a special class they just don’t have a great “football population”

More first and second generation immigrant families typicall = fewer football players compared to other schools same size.

Yep, more of an inner ring suburb.

Agree that it's really early. I don't think JM will sustain.

JM 35-28 over Apple Valley
Mank. East 57-0 over Apple Valley.
It's early but this looks to be the best team Mankato East has had in quite some time. Have a real shot at getting the Jug back from West for the first time since 2005.

It's early but this looks to be the best team Mankato East has had in quite some time. Have a real shot at getting the Jug back from West for the first time since 2005.
Do you think the east side growth and demographic changes will tilt the balance from West to East as the years go by?

Do you think the east side growth and demographic changes will tilt the balance from West to East as the years go by?
I think this is the year we finally might see it in football. East has had more success than West in almost every other sport the last 4-5 years.

I am curious where the high school boundaries are. North Mankato is in the district and it is 15,000 people itself but I am not sure which school they would attend.

To think they used to have 2 high schools, Kellogg and Ramsey. I am not sure either of them were good in football or in most sports for that matter.

I am curious where the high school boundaries are. North Mankato is in the district and it is 15,000 people itself but I am not sure which school they would attend.
Most of N.Kato goes to West. The growth in N.Kato probably offsets the east side growth to some extent but I would think that the boundary will have to move east in the near future, shifting some of the lower income/immigrant communities into West.

Interestingly enough, despite big population growth in the district, Mankato Area Public Schools have had stagnant growth and even enrollment declines. MAPS actually has an advertising campaign, which seems odd. But there's been big growth in area private school enrollment.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240911_211931_OneDrive.jpg
    Screenshot_20240911_211931_OneDrive.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 5

I think this is the year we finally might see it in football. East has had more success than West in almost every other sport the last 4-5 years.
East does a much better job of producing and encouraging multiple sport athletes. The football teams is sprinkled with a bunch of the contributors to the state basketball runner up.

Noth Mankato is West and West is currently larger.

Most of N.Kato goes to West. The growth in N.Kato probably offsets the east side growth to some extent but I would think that the boundary will have to move east in the near future, shifting some of the lower income/immigrant communities into West.

Interestingly enough, despite big population growth in the district, Mankato Area Public Schools have had stagnant growth and even enrollment declines. MAPS actually has an advertising campaign, which seems odd. But there's been big growth in area private school enrollment.
MVL where a lot of Mankato Lutherans go just added 37,000 square feet including a field house for athletics.

2013 they lost a really good game to Rosemount in the State semifinals, QB was Jacque Parra, WR was Jesper Horstad who may still be in the NFL as a TE.

East does a much better job of producing and encouraging multiple sport athletes. The football teams is sprinkled with a bunch of the contributors to the state basketball runner up.
Some really good athletes from that team. Their QB Gosch will play hoops at MSU-Mankato next year and WR Madson will play point guard at Sioux Falls. Both will be Mankato East's all time leaders in passing and receiving after this fall.

MVL where a lot of Mankato Lutherans go just added 37,000 square feet including a field house for athletics.
And 4 science classrooms and currently renovating the old gym into performing arts space. Last year, the freshman class of 92 replaced a graduating class of 42. Enrollment is trending towards 300 from 200 a few years ago. About 45% of MVL kids come from Kato zip codes. MVL is a WELS school but approximately 10% of kids come from non WELS congregations.

I don't know what's going on with Immanual Lutheran School but I assume they are seeing enrollment growth as well. Immanuel is a CLC school and more insular than even WELS. I don't know how many non-CLC kids would matriculate there.

I'm told Loyola enrollment numbers are strong but they seem to be cooping for athletics more and more.

I haven't heard what the new Mankato Christian Academy numbers are this year. It was pretty small last year. Although officially non-denominational, the school is heavily influenced (and funded) by Missouri synod Lutherans.

Lots of choices for education in Mankato and they are being utilized. I'm told that there is quite a lot of homeschooling in the district too.

Interesting notes on the Mankato schools and MVL. I grew up in the area and can remember when the MVL building and school were brand new. I recall getting a significant (for that era) push to attend there, but didn't. I had no idea their enrollment had taken off like that. Surprising, considering the WELS aspect given how strict that line of Lutheranism is. Perhaps part of it is due to WELS becoming more of an outcast and the wagons are circling and making that school more attractive to a wider geographic region. In my day, I don't recall many MVL kids from the Mankato area, for example.

Interesting notes on the Mankato schools and MVL. I grew up in the area and can remember when the MVL building and school were brand new. I recall getting a significant (for that era) push to attend there, but didn't. I had no idea their enrollment had taken off like that. Surprising, considering the WELS aspect given how strict that line of Lutheranism is. Perhaps part of it is due to WELS becoming more of an outcast and the wagons are circling and making that school more attractive to a wider geographic region. In my day, I don't recall many MVL kids from the Mankato area, for example.
I graduated from West 16 years ago. I knew 5-6 kids that went to MVL just from my small North Mankato neighborhood.

MVL doesn't recruit outside of its churches and association elementary schools. There are quite a few Mankato area association churches, including ELS churches (Bethany Lutheran College is the ELS's college and seminary), and churches as far away as Redwood Falls, St. James and Arlington. 25 years ago attendance was about 300. In between, enrollment decreased to as low as 200 but has been trending up over the last decade and is projected to grow to 300 in the next few years.

Jacques Perra, 2013 Star Tribune Metro player of the year.

Walked on to Gophers, then transferred to St Thomas before Fleck got here.

Last edited:

Apologies in advance for going backwards in time, but after watching this

Did we ever try to recruit the receiver?? Looks like he's going to Cal. Maybe he was out front with no interest in Gophers? Just wondering.

Sorry, there is probably a better thread to ask this.

looking ahead - the MSHSL is starting the process to develop new Section assignments and District Football placements for the 2025-26 and 2026027 school years.

--in October, the State Dep't of Education will receive Fall student enrollment reports.
--in January, deadline for applications for new pairing agreements, and deadline for schools to opt-up.
--February, classification levels will be set.
--March, appeals will be heard on schools seeking a different classification.
--April, proposed Section assignments reviewed. Football placement committee meets
--April 3, 2025: MSHSL Board approves new Section assignments
--May, football placement committee makes final recommendations
--June 3, 2025: MSHSL Board approves District Football placements.

(June 4th - AD's begin drinking heavily as they scramble to figure out Football schedules for a new season that starts in less than 3 months.)
-----------
FWIW - on the MSHSL enrollment list (adjusted for free & reduced price lunch) - MVL is at 211 for the current cycle. note the cutoff for football below.

Football 6A 1630 and above
Football 5A 1017-1629
Football 4A 598-1016
Football 3A 313-597
Football 2A 211-312
Football A 151-210
Football 9-PLAYER 150 and below

Did we ever try to recruit the receiver?? Looks like he's going to Cal. Maybe he was out front with no interest in Gophers? Just wondering.

It appears the Gophers never offered, a poor decision. I believe his older brother, an offensive tackle is a Cal. I'm sure this had an influence in his decision.

Yes, we did try to recruit him. But like his brother Bastian, Cal has been the dream school for both of them. We really never had a chance.

Bastian was 3rd team all conference last year at guard, and ended up playing center last week due to injuries.

looking ahead - the MSHSL is starting the process to develop new Section assignments and District Football placements for the 2025-26 and 2026027 school years.

--in October, the State Dep't of Education will receive Fall student enrollment reports.
--in January, deadline for applications for new pairing agreements, and deadline for schools to opt-up.
--February, classification levels will be set.
--March, appeals will be heard on schools seeking a different classification.
--April, proposed Section assignments reviewed. Football placement committee meets
--April 3, 2025: MSHSL Board approves new Section assignments
--May, football placement committee makes final recommendations
--June 3, 2025: MSHSL Board approves District Football placements.

(June 4th - AD's begin drinking heavily as they scramble to figure out Football schedules for a new season that starts in less than 3 months.)
-----------
FWIW - on the MSHSL enrollment list (adjusted for free & reduced price lunch) - MVL is at 211 for the current cycle. note the cutoff for football below.

Football 6A 1630 and above
Football 5A 1017-1629
Football 4A 598-1016
Football 3A 313-597
Football 2A 211-312
Football A 151-210
Football 9-PLAYER 150 and below
True, and there could be some big shifts in SE MN when it comes to sections.

Stewartville will probably get moved back up to AAAA. That won't be a big deal since they were there once before.

D-E, Triton, and SC were both pushing up to those AAA numbers, but they both could be backing off, but you never know with free and reduced lunch counts. Rumor is that Goodhue, Blooming Prairie, and possible Rushford-Peterson could both be making the jump to AA next realignment with growing numbers with maybe L-A dropping down. Another rumor is that Kingsland and Southland will get reclassified to A.

Would those shifts apply to district football as well? Would BP, Goodhue, and R-P get pushed into the same district with Cannon, Chatfield, and Caledonia? That would be very interesting football. How would Kingsland and Southland handle the transition back to 11-man? All big questions coming this spring.

Geez - that QB throws a good ball!

Jacques Perra, 2013 Star Tribune Metro player of the year.

Walked on to Gophers, played a good bit (started? can't remember) for Claeys year 2016, then transferred to St Thomas before Fleck got here.
I don't think Perra played much, if at all here.

Top Bottom