Centennial at Blaine
Wayzata at Minnetonka
Shakopee at Prior Lake
Rosemount at Lakeville North

a few games of interest in SW MN:

9-man: Edgerton at Mt Lake Area -
Hills-Beaver Creek at Renville County West

1A: Springfield at Murray County Central

not a lot of great matchups - lot of 1-0 vs 0-1 games.

winner of the "bus ride" game of the week - Westbrook-Walnut Grove at LeRoy-Ostrander/Lyle/Pacelli. a shade under 3 hours one way for a game against a non-sectional opponent. It's a scheduling thing - the 9-man "South" district has an East sub-district and a West sub-district, and each district has an odd number of teams, so to make the schedule work, they cross-schedule certain games with East playing West.

Heard rumor that Maple Grove will be joining the Lake Conference.

Probably not a huge impact with football due to the way scheduling is now....hockey schedules for those teams is going to be a complete bloodbath.

Probably not a huge impact with football due to the way scheduling is now....hockey schedules for those teams is going to be a complete bloodbath.
Would be good.

The lake being bigger will bring stability to the league.

Should have happened long ago. Demographically, MG is a much better fit with the large west suburban/exurban schools. I always assumed the only reason they weren't already in, was that the district wanted MG, Osseo and Park Center in the same conference.

This would also bring the Lake up to an even 8 teams.

Should have happened long ago. Demographically, MG is a much better fit with the large west suburban/exurban schools. I always assumed the only reason they weren't already in, was that the district wanted MG, Osseo and Park Center in the same conference.

This would also bring the Lake up to an even 8 teams.
You’re spot on their school district’s sentiment

It's official starting next year - it's on the Maple Grove high school website.

Win win for everyone minus the Northwest Suburban Conference. They’re the class of the conference
That's a huge conference now with 14 teams. Wonder if they'll back fill MG with someone?

That's a huge conference now with 14 teams. Wonder if they'll back fill MG with someone?
It’s a different group of schools collectively than the other power 4 conferences. Go to a football or hockey game and you’ll feel it. It would have to be the right fit. Centennial wanted to be in the Suburban East Conference and might still be interested. Maybe Buffalo to the Northwest? They’ve struggled in the Lake.

It’s a different group of schools collectively than the other power 4 conferences. Go to a football or hockey game and you’ll feel it. It would have to be the right fit. Centennial wanted to be in the Suburban East Conference and might still be interested. Maybe Buffalo to the Northwest? They’ve struggled in the Lake.
Centennial seems like they could be in either. They're close to Blaine and Spring Lake Park, but also, Forest Lake, Irondale and Mounds View. I can't imagine the Lake would want to lose Buffalo and then go back to just seven schools.

What do you consider the power 4? Lake, NW Suburban, Suburban East and South Suburban?

And why isn't Cretin in the Metro East?

Last edited:

Centennial seems like they could be in either. They're close to Blaine and Spring Lake Park, but also, Forest Lake, Irondale and Mounds View. I can't imagine the Lake would want to lose Buffalo and then go back to just seven schools.

What do you consider the power 4? Lake, NW Suburban, Suburban East and South Suburban?

And why isn't Cretin in the Metro East?
Yes in the Power 4. Largest 30 schools and dominant # of large class championships

Cretin was place in the Suburban East. No one wanted them. They were competitive in most sports and typically don’t have the same number of teams at the 9, Bsquad and JV levels

Torino would like out of NW suburban too

Yes in the Power 4. Largest 30 schools and dominant # of large class championships

Cretin was place in the Suburban East. No one wanted them. They were competitive in most sports and typically don’t have the same number of teams at the 9, Bsquad and JV levels

Torino would like out of NW suburban too
I remember Cretin being placed there, but they aren't what they once were. They'd be a better fit elsewhere now. Totino isn't really either.

Tonight Northfield downed arch rival Faribault 14-12 and brings back the Bertha Cannon Trophy home with them on the short journey up Hwy 3.

You wouldn't guess by the Final Score that there were 3 TDs in the last 4 minutes of the game including the Raiders game winner with 14 seconds left.

Ultimately, the Falcons botched snap on a punt in the 2nd Quarter which resulted in a Safety, was the margin of victory.

Last edited:

Would be good.

The lake being bigger will bring stability to the league.
Swap with Buffalo would be nice. This is a reclass year for the next two years so I would expect some movement. Enrollments announced in late February. Here are the bottom 3 6A and top 5A schools to watch for enrollments.

1725628173875.png

Last edited:

Speaking of conferences, not sure how much longer Burnsville and Apple Valley can stay in the South Suburban. Seems Chaska and Chanhassen replacing them would be a good move. Burnsville and Apple Valley should bolt for the Metro East or Tri-Metro.

Swap with Buffalo would be nice. This is a reclass year for the next two years so I would expect some movement. Enrollments announced in late February. Here are the bottom 3 6A and top 5A schools to watch for enrollments.

View attachment 33373
If I had to make a guess, Buffalo, Rogers and Moorhead will continue to grow. Burnsville will shrink. I'm not super familiar with the situation with the Rochester city schools, other than the schools that are around the city (like Byron) have grown extensively.

We've discussed it before, but isn't Andover basically capped at the size they are now?

Moorhead just built a brand new high school. I saw it a couple weeks ago and it's really nice.

Speaking of conferences, not sure how much longer Burnsville and Apple Valley can stay in the South Suburban. Seems Chaska and Chanhassen replacing them would be a good move. Burnsville and Apple Valley should bolt for the Metro East or Tri-Metro.

Bring back the Missota.

I thought that exact same thing when I was looking at the conference makeups yesterday.

with all of the conference shuffling, the move to District scheduling for football, and the emphasis on Sections for post-season play, it has become harder and harder to follow Conference races - and even to care about Conference races. Winning your Conference is nice, and you can put up a banner if you want to, but what really matters is doing well in the post-season.

this may be a minority opinion, but you could do away with conferences in all sports - just go to district or section scheduling, and I would be fine with that.

View attachment 33373
Burnsville definitely will be moving down. Their enrollment is declining.

Hopkins has a chance to move down but I would say doubtful. They’re 1677, more cushion

For other spots, it’s going to be about who grows faster.
Andover and Moorhead separated by 1 kid. Both are less than 2 kids per grade out of 6a and in 5a

Last edited:

Top Bottom