2024 MN High School Football thread

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
with August nearly here, thought I'd get this going. for most schools, Monday, Aug 12 is the first day of practice. one week conditioning, one week with pads. Scrimmages mostly on Saturday, Aug 24 with season openers the next week.

and now a sob story. the flooding this summer wiped out the football field in Windom (MN) where I live. the AD looked at scheduling all games on the road, but Windom already did that in 2018 after the last flood. so they have decided to turn the HS track into a temporary field. they will dig up all of the jump lanes and landing pits on the infield of the track, sod in those areas, and try to get that usable for football and soccer this fall. they will bring in portable bleachers and a portable clock/scoreboard.

as of now, no lights, so all games will have to be afternoons or Saturdays. scheduling TBD. soccer matches will have to start earlier so they can finish before dark. the AD has looked into getting temporary lights, but that sounds like it would be costly.

for the PA announcer (me...), scoreboard operator and radio, they will use a small press box where they normally do the scoring/timing for track meets. it's not very high off the ground, so the sight lines are lousy. they will bring in scissor lifts for coaches and video crews. if possible, I'd like to get up on a lift, but don't know if that is feasible. Oh - and the head coach resigned two weeks ago. it's going to be an interesting season..........

I know it's easy for me to spend someone else's money, but this is the perfect spot for an in-state professional team to help out locally. Cover some lighting, someone!
Would be a good feel good story. Worthington has turf I believe and could be a neutral site for possible night game within a reasonable drive. Windom is kind of in the middle of nowhere. Hope they can make the best of it.

Should probably get my Gopher tix up for sale for week #1, with the Thursday conflict with HS game.

with August nearly here, thought I'd get this going. for most schools, Monday, Aug 12 is the first day of practice. one week conditioning, one week with pads. Scrimmages mostly on Saturday, Aug 24 with season openers the next week.

and now a sob story. the flooding this summer wiped out the football field in Windom (MN) where I live. the AD looked at scheduling all games on the road, but Windom already did that in 2018 after the last flood. so they have decided to turn the HS track into a temporary field. they will dig up all of the jump lanes and landing pits on the infield of the track, sod in those areas, and try to get that usable for football and soccer this fall. they will bring in portable bleachers and a portable clock/scoreboard.

as of now, no lights, so all games will have to be afternoons or Saturdays. scheduling TBD. soccer matches will have to start earlier so they can finish before dark. the AD has looked into getting temporary lights, but that sounds like it would be costly.

for the PA announcer (me...), scoreboard operator and radio, they will use a small press box where they normally do the scoring/timing for track meets. it's not very high off the ground, so the sight lines are lousy. they will bring in scissor lifts for coaches and video crews. if possible, I'd like to get up on a lift, but don't know if that is feasible. Oh - and the head coach resigned two weeks ago. it's going to be an interesting season..........
That sucks as I prefer Friday nights to Saturday afternoons.
Friday afternoons not too bad, could do 5pm early in the season starts maybe (depends on who is traveling to you I suppose)

Have they named a new Hc yet?

one of last year's assistant coaches is going to be the head coach for this season. Young guy - just a couple years out of college.

Worthington does have turf. they redid their whole Football and track complex, and it's really nice. that was an option, but as I said, Windom played all road games in 2018, so the consensus was to play home games this year even if it was a makeshift field.

speaking of looking for donations - Windom is the home town of Heather Van Norman - one of the greatest track stars in MN HS history, and the mother of Odell Beckham, Jr. I have seen people suggest jokingly that they hit up Odell for a couple of million to re-do the football field outside of the floor plain.

Only two weeks away until we kick off the high school season with two a day practices. Curious to know who the favorites will be in each class to compete for state championships and who the top players in the state will be this season.

Only two weeks away until we kick off the high school season with two a day practices. Curious to know who the favorites will be in each class to compete for state championships and who the top players in the state will be this season.
6A:I'd say Maple Grove from the North. Edina should be solid again. Minnetonka will be improved and now has Lombardi as DC (Former Maple Grove HC). Not sure from the south but expect the usual suspects.

So why not go to Mt Lake for football games? There field is big enough for 11 man as they only recently dropped down to 9 man. It seems like a no brainer to drive 9 miles northeast. (I have relatives in Bingham Lake and Mt Lake) After all the years of that field in Windom constantly flooding, it's about time the community decides to build a field above the flood plain (or at least put in an artificial turf for both the football and baseball that are played near the pool. The Des Moines isn't going to stop flooding and, especially if they keep the rock dam near the fields, it's going to remain a mess. Is there land up near the softball fields and the "castle kingdom" playgrounds that might be used?
In any case, it seems that something could be done, other than tearing up the track.

By the way, best wishes to those teams from the Southwest.

6A:I'd say Maple Grove from the North. Edina should be solid again. Minnetonka will be improved and now has Lombardi as DC (Former Maple Grove HC). Not sure from the south but expect the usual suspects.
Would day Stillwater in the East by default
In the south it should be South or Rosemount to me, but I think the top 5 are all going to be pretty close (south, north, Rosemount, farmington, Eagan).

Last year north lost to south, south lost to rosemount, Rosemount lost to Eagan, Eagan lost to farmington, farmington lost to Mayo, Mayo lost to north to complete the circle.
I think Mayo takes the biggest step back of those 6. Legit offense last year at Mayo, TBd this year

Would day Stillwater in the East by default
In the south it should be South or Rosemount to me, but I think the top 5 are all going to be pretty close (south, north, Rosemount, farmington, Eagan).

Last year north lost to south, south lost to rosemount, Rosemount lost to Eagan, Eagan lost to farmington, farmington lost to Mayo, Mayo lost to north to complete the circle.
I think Mayo takes the biggest step back of those 6. Legit offense last year at Mayo, TBd this year
My grade school was across the street from South in the 60's. But I realized you did not mean South you meant Silver Spoon South.

I've driven through Windom a few times but haven't paid much attention to the land. Just looked on google... I was expecting to see the field right on the river? What happened to the poor houses between the river and field?

What's the deal with Lombardi leaving Maple Grove? Gotta think Minnetonka is a short term stop until he takes over another program. Great get for Esch. Lot of wins in that coaches room.

I've driven through Windom a few times but haven't paid much attention to the land. Just looked on google... I was expecting to see the field right on the river? What happened to the poor houses between the river and field?
I believe they actually put their football field on the outfield of the baseball stadium located at Island Park. It's not right next to the school. You can see the setup in this YouTube video of one of their games.

I know it's easy for me to spend someone else's money, but this is the perfect spot for an in-state professional team to help out locally. Cover some lighting, someone!
This is a great chance for "Bud Light" to get some good press coverage.

I believe they actually put their football field on the outfield of the baseball stadium located at Island Park. It's not right next to the school. You can see the setup in this YouTube video of one of their games.
Correct, the football field is the baseball outfield. It is located just off MN 60 in the southwest side of town right next to the Des Moines River. It's on a flood plain and it floods out 3 or 4 times per decade. I have driven by and seen the swimming pool, with its clorinated water, surrounded by flood water from the Des Moines and the ballpark entirely flooded. It makes no sense to have a ball field in that flood plain and then be upset when the Des Moines floods. I can only imagine an old timer gifted the city that property on the cheap and walked away smiling at what was going to come. The golf course is similar. Flat as a pancake along the river and prone to flooding.

This being said, Windom is a nice little city. Fish Lake is a fun little lake and there is a nice wetland area just south of town that's great for walks and prairie views. The Mexican restaurant in town is as good as any in the State. It's only 15 minutes from the Jeffers Petroglyphs and the Red Rock Falls and you can get a good beer at Duffy's.

I just don't get the location of the football and baseball field.

What's the deal with Lombardi leaving Maple Grove? Gotta think Minnetonka is a short term stop until he takes over another program. Great get for Esch. Lot of wins in that coaches room.
To me, has to be that he won his state title as a HC and now he is done with the BS of being a head coach in a multi high school district. Same reason Dave Nelson left Blaine for Tonka.

I get wanting to play true home games but that seems like such a shoddy setup that it's hard to believe that playing on a makeshift field is a better option than playing in Mt Lake or Heron Lake, just a few miles down the highway.

Is Springfield in the same boat? I know Riverside Park was under water for a long time this spring, too. The situation won't get better with accelerating farm drainage.

For 5A Mankato West should be solid again but they will have a sophomore QB. Chan loses a ton of players from last years state championship team but assuming they will reload. My guess is Andover will be at the top of the preseason poll.

For 5A Mankato West should be solid again but they will have a sophomore QB. Chan loses a ton of players from last years state championship team but assuming they will reload. My guess is Andover will be at the top of the preseason poll.
How is 4A looking?

To me, has to be that he won his state title as a HC and now he is done with the BS of being a head coach in a multi high school district. Same reason Dave Nelson left Blaine for Tonka.
Nope. I coached spring flag ball with a MG dad, and I'm good friends with the mom of one of the MG varsity starters. Apparently, he got pushed out the door as a teacher for just generally being a terrible teacher, and decided to quit as head coach in response, and go to Tonka.

Nope. I coached spring flag ball with a MG dad, and I'm good friends with the mom of one of the MG varsity starters. Apparently, he got pushed out the door as a teacher for just generally being a terrible teacher, and decided to quit as head coach in response, and go to Tonka.
I mean if that’s true that’s pretty embarrassing for Minnetonka to name him the new math hire

That's odd... something must've changed in the past decade then, as someone who had Mr. Lombardi as a teacher, I can say he was a very good teacher universally beloved by students. I guess I don't know the administration perspective, but I certainly learned quite a bit in his class.

Snowy high schools still priori your role as a teacher. If you don’t teach well, you don’t coach. Doing both well was too much. Same reason he didn’t get the Wayzata job as the coordinator.

Snowy high schools still priori your role as a teacher. If you don’t teach well, you don’t coach. Doing both well was too much. Same reason he didn’t get the Wayzata job as the coordinator.
He was gone to maple grove before the wayzata job came available

Brad Anderson I think is at Benilde this year

That sucks as I prefer Friday nights to Saturday afternoons.
Friday afternoons not too bad, could do 5pm early in the season starts maybe (depends on who is traveling to you I suppose)

Have they named a new Hc yet?
My Minnesota Valley Lutheran Chagers share Johnson Field in New Ulm with the Cathedral Greyhounds and about once a year they each play a 4pm Friday game while the other "home" team plays an 8pm Friday game.

That's odd... something must've changed in the past decade then, as someone who had Mr. Lombardi as a teacher, I can say he was a very good teacher universally beloved by students. I guess I don't know the administration perspective, but I certainly learned quite a bit in his class.
I can't speak to that - only what I was told by two people close to the program. The issue was his teaching, not his coaching, that led to the departure.

I can't speak to that - only what I was told by two people close to the program. The issue was his teaching, not his coaching, that led to the departure.
I would go ahead and guess that it was neither. He left by his own choosing.

I would go ahead and guess that it was neither. He left by his own choosing.
No, he was definitely pushed out of his teaching position. He chose to leave his coaching position as a result.

No, he was definitely pushed out of his teaching position. He chose to leave his coaching position as a result.
Lombardi is quoted as saying "philosophical differences" in one article and another says he could have continued coaching at Maple Grove. So people can read whatever they want into that. He may have been a good teacher that just didn't get along with admin on certain issues...who knows.

Top Bottom