2024 MN High School Basketball State Tournaments

I've been hanging at Target Center, watching the Class A teams in the quarter finals. So far, Cherry looks like they will ride to the championship.
Nevis beat Mt Lake Area - Comfrey by about 15, but earlier this year Cherry beat Nevis by 15.

I'm now watching West Central Area beat Heritage Christian Academy. West Central only up by 8 with about 7 minutes to go, but they have lead the whole game.

caught the 1st half of Alex vs Kato East - then I had an appointment to get an insurance quote. (there's an hour of my life I'll never get back) was surprised to see that East came back and won. Grayson Grove looks to have some ability, but needs to get stronger, like all HS big men. Treyton Thompson's younger brother didn't impress me. looking at the stats Alex shot very poorly from outside.

the Johnson kid from Totino is impressive. I wonder if he is a SG or SF in college - handles the ball reasonably well. didn't attempt a 3-pt shot; most of his scoring was at the rim or in the lane.

in class A was hoping MLAC could hang in there, but they couldn't throw the ball in the ocean the 2nd half.

caught the 1st half of Alex vs Kato East - then I had an appointment to get an insurance quote. (there's an hour of my life I'll never get back) was surprised to see that East came back and won. Grayson Grove looks to have some ability, but needs to get stronger, like all HS big men. Treyton Thompson's younger brother didn't impress me. looking at the stats Alex shot very poorly from outside.

the Johnson kid from Totino is impressive. I wonder if he is a SG or SF in college - handles the ball reasonably well. didn't attempt a 3-pt shot; most of his scoring was at the rim or in the lane.

in class A was hoping MLAC could hang in there, but they couldn't throw the ball in the ocean the 2nd half.
Yes, Mt Lake looked like they were just happy to be there and shot poorly.
I am watching the Fertile-Beltrami v Goodhue game. I can't see either team beating West Central Area. WCA has the only chance of beating Cherry and if they meet I think it may be a track meet to score 100. Both teams seem to like to go.

Johnson is going to Miami

Treyton’s brother Chase is listed as the number one recruit in the state for 2025, per 247.

Apparently, he’s a two sports kid and could play in football instead (plays QB) -

Only a Nebby bucket offer, so far and no D1 football, hearing from the Dakota schools

Wayzata is crushing CDH by 20.....McAndrew is really, really good. He'd fit in perfectly with what the Gophers need. Such a shame these kids don't want to stay home and turn into hometown heroes......

Wayzata is crushing CDH by 20.....McAndrew is really, really good. He'd fit in perfectly with what the Gophers need. Such a shame these kids don't want to stay home and turn into hometown heroes......
apparently he grew up a Creighton fan and no one else had a chance from the start

Is he the tall red head kid? Moves well and good hands

apparently he grew up a Creighton fan and no one else had a chance from the start
His mom chimed in on Twitter regarding the rumor that he had no interest in Minnesota from the start. Wonder what the deal really is. Either way, he's a good player and I'll be rooting for him.

His mom chimed in on Twitter regarding the rumor that he had no interest in Minnesota from the start. Wonder what the deal really is. Either way, he's a good player and I'll be rooting for him.
What did she say, that it's true he had no interest in MN?

State Tournament Update - Thursday, March 21

Class A Quarter-finals
Cherry 78, Russell-Tyler-Ruthton 46
Nevis 78, Mt Lake Area-Comfrey 54
West Central Area 64, Heritage Christian 53
Fertile-Beltrami 64, Goodhue 57

Class 3A Semi-Finals
Totino-Grace 74, DeLaSalle 67
Mankato East 65, Alexandria 62

Class 4A Semi-Finals
Wayzata 74, Cretin-Derham Hall 48
Minnetonka 68, Eagan 45

-----------------------
Friday, March 22

Class A Semi-Finals (Williams Arena)
Cherry vs Nevis Noon
West Central Area vs Fertile-Beltrami 2pm

Class 2A Semi-Finals (Williams Arena)
Breck vs Minnehaha Academy 6pm
Albany vs Lake City 8pm

----------------

reminder - Finals Schedule for Saturday is different this year -
A Finals at 11am
3A Finals at 1pm
2A Finals at 5pm
4A Finals at 8pm

apparently MSHSL wanted to separate the 3A and 4A finals "to allow more time for fans to enter and exit the building." I suppose there is some logic there - I just don't have the energy to go looking for it........

Johnson is 6-7 215 point forward. Sg? He is ver underrated. Looks a bit like Royce his one yr at Iowa state bringing the ball up and starting offense. Rated top 130, I’d take him over mcandrews, he could guard McAndrews, but McAndrews has zero chance of checking him.

Is it just me or does McAndrews look taller than 6-9? He has really long legs like a 7’ would have, maybe that’s why.

Isaac’s FR cousin Isiah led the team in scoring today and is 6’ now. He may have more upside if he gets to the 6-3 Isaac is. Better shooter and he also has pg ability.

I hope this isn’t similar to that anti Pitino churn we went thru a couple years ago. That stuff does more harm. ‘ I woulda gone to mn…..’.

From what I understand, Ben is well liked in MN hoop circles and Pitino wasn’t.

If your dad played with the coach, it’d be very hard for anyone to get that kid to go to another school. They may well have been to Creighton to see games when he was growing up.

I’d be much more concerned if we would have lost Asuma, as their wasn’t an inherent bias at work.

That sounds like a MN Nice CYA comment

Yeah Marge, you don’t want to offend anyone. What happens if you run into them at the Red Owl when you’re grocery shopping, for Pete’s Sake?
Red Owl? You have been away for a really loooong time! That’s my youth. 😂

That sounds like a MN Nice CYA comment

Yeah Marge, you don’t want to offend anyone. What happens if you run into them at the Red Owl when you’re grocery shopping, for Pete’s Sake?
Yeah you gotta take it with a grain of salt. It makes no sense for Johnson to not even try to recruit him. He and his family can say whatever they want because Johnson can't respond.

Got some of the second half of Cherry versus Nevis. Really impressed with Cherry's ability to push the ball, among other things.

Top Bottom