2024 December Portal

Gophergrandpa

Reaction score
This has been a fairly light transfer portal year for the Gophers to date. We've lost only six players: 2 QBs, 2 RBs, a Tackle and a WR. Maybe some more will declare today or tomorrow, before the portal closes. Only one of the transferees has significant playing time. We will probably lose a few more after the spring portal., I suppose.

Some B1G teams are remaking, or having to remake, their rosters with 15+ transferees out the door. I think PJ's last two recruiting classes have been quite good (by historical Gopher standards). It feels this year as though he's more willing to go with the kids he's taken out of HS recently, and let them develop, rather than radically remake the team via the portal. One exception, of course, is QB, which is difficult for non-helmet schools to accomplish solely via HS recruiting. (CB is another position that is hard to develop both starters and depth at for most schools.) The Gophers were the only team in the West last year that was playing an "in house" QB rather than a transfer. I think we will be better in 2024, having gone to the transfer market for a seasoned, successful QB. But I like the fact that so many of our other positions are stocked with "in house" kids who have good potential on the field.

Interesting that PJ didn't go to the portal for an offensive Center. Both Boe and Karter are gone next year. Who steps up in the number 1 and 2 slots? PJ and Callahan must feel OK about what they've got coming up (or at least feel that no meaningful upgrade was available to us in the portal).

Go Gophers!

This has been a fairly light transfer portal year for the Gophers to date. We've lost only six players: 2 QBs, 2 RBs, a Tackle and a WR. Maybe some more will declare today or tomorrow, before the portal closes. Only one of the transferees has significant playing time. We will probably lose a few more after the spring portal., I suppose.

Some B1G teams are remaking, or having to remake, their rosters with 15+ transferees out the door. I think PJ's last two recruiting classes have been quite good (by historical Gopher standards). It feels this year as though he's more willing to go with the kids he's taken out of HS recently, and let them develop, rather than radically remake the team via the portal. One exception, of course, is QB, which is difficult for non-helmet schools to accomplish solely via HS recruiting. (CB is another position that is hard to develop both starters and depth at for most schools.) The Gophers were the only team in the West last year that was playing an "in house" QB rather than a transfer. I think we will be better in 2024, having gone to the transfer market for a seasoned, successful QB. But I like the fact that so many of our other positions are stocked with "in house" kids who have good potential on the field.

Interesting that PJ didn't go to the portal for an offensive Center. Both Boe and Karter are gone next year. Who steps up in the number 1 and 2 slots? PJ and Callahan must feel OK about what they've got coming up (or at least feel that no meaningful upgrade was available to us in the portal).

Go Gophers!
They have not been shy about adding offensive lineman from the portal in the past so the fact that we don't see to be targeting O-Line options for next year tells me they feel pretty good about what we currently have in house.

Looks like they will add a wr, maybe 2 as there are a lot offers. They will add a nose guard as they lost the FIU player to Louisville. Also a rush end as they had the JUCO guy flip to UAB. They might add others, maybe another rb or even a LB. not taking a OL or a TE.

Gophers have offered Northwestern running back Anthony Tyus III, who has hit the portal

Gophers have offered Northwestern running back Anthony Tyus III, who has hit the portal
I’m surprised that they offered another RB. It feels like there are more pressing areas of need.

I’m surprised that they offered another RB. It feels like there are more pressing areas of need.

Well, we have some scholarship space at the moment and my bet is they want to have the DC hired before making any more defense offers.

Go Gophers!
I don’t think Fleck is choosing to go with in-house kids vs portal kids. I’m sure he’d love to go with mostly in house guys every year, but if a lot transfer out then he has to go to the portal to replace them.

One thing that I think is working is that he has been offering more local kids which I think is resulting in less kids transferring out.

I like it, they need more playmakers at rb. We emphasize the run game so much, we need weapons there.

Not the most exciting offer, but you're not going to get the top guys when they know they're at best 3rd string. Need the depth and he has Big Ten experience.

I agree we have some other areas of need. Just read, however, that the Badgers will have 8 RBs on scholarship, counting the three freshman coming in this coming fall. There is a high injury rate at the RB position, and depth is good—for teams that want to run the ball 65% of all plays.

So we have Darius, that new kid from Ohio Univ., Jordan, that recruit from Philly, and another one from suburban Chicago area. And you just do not know about freshment until they are here. One more RB might be "prudent".......

The winter transfer portal closed today. Currently, the "old" B1G teams most active in the portal are (I didn't look at USC, UCLA, Ore. or Wash.):

Purdue: 24 players "out"; 12 new players "in."
Indiana: 23 players out; 17 new players in. Of the 17 new players "in," 9 are from James Madison, presumably following their coach. Indiana also had 4 players enter the portal who later withdrew, staying with the Hoosiers.
Michigan State: 18 players out; 6 new players in. MSU had a remarkable 8 players who entered the portal but later withdrew, staying with the Spartans.
Ohio State: 18 players out; 0 new players in. {Building up capacity for future transfers/recruits, I
presume)

At the lower end of the activity scale are:
Penn State: 3 players out; 1 new player in.
Michigan: 3 players out; 2 new players in.
Nebraska: 5 players out; 1 new player in
Iowa: 6 players out; 0 new players in. The "out" players include Spencer Petras.

While the portal is now closed to players who want to enter, I believe that players can continue to sign with teams (though, for eligibility, would want to do that before the spring term begins).

Gophers, at 8 players out and 6 new players in, look to be pretty much around the median for the B1G.

I agree we have some other areas of need. Just read, however, that the Badgers will have 8 RBs on scholarship, counting the three freshman coming in this coming fall. There is a high injury rate at the RB position, and depth is good—for teams that want to run the ball 65% of all plays.
Where’d you read this?? Eight?? Saw they got a transfer in from Oklahoma and three freshmen, imagine being 8th string…

Some were saying that we would have up to 10 new guys enter the portal the Monday when it opened, instead it was only one new name and the guy never played.

While the portal is now closed to players who want to enter, I believe that players can continue to sign with teams (though, for eligibility, would want to do that before the spring term begins).

as far as I can tell there is no time limit on players choosing a new team. so - if I'm correct ?? - as long as you're in the portal before the deadline, you can stay in the portal as long as you want. obviously, you don't want to stay in there forever or you wind up like Chuck Cunningham - Richie's older brother on "Happy Days." he went upstairs one episode and was never seen again.

(I have this mental image of the portal like some type of purgatory - unwanted players just roaming around......"I should have accepted that offer from Podunk State....")

I assumed Tua would be declaring for the draft. The money must be really good.

I assumed Tua would be declaring for the draft. The money must be really good.

He needs to get a waiver I believe, but to your point, if he can transfer to a program with a better shot at the 12 team playoffs than Maryland, he could get some money next year and raise his draft stock if he does well.

IMG_8335.jpeg
He’d probably never consider playing here. But PJ should offer CJ Daniels. Kid is a stud.

Top Bottom