2024-2028 Big Ten Schedules have been released.

I guess it could help with recruiting where you can pitch "you'll get a chance to play the likes of Michigan, Ohio St, USC, and Oregon every year."

Looks like every team is scheduled to have one West Coast away game per season.

There were a couple odd exceptions I found, but 95% true

10 conf games makes it so much cleaner.

But guessing no one had the appetite to be the first conf to make that jump.
10 makes too much sense. But that eliminates 9 games for the network and partners to broadcast.

If this is accurate, next year is brutal draw: Michigan, PSU, USC, UCLA
Iowa, North Carolina, USC, Penn State and a sneaky good Maryland!!! LOVE the home schedule next year!! BIG TIME COLLEGE FOOTBALL. And I will be making my first trip to the Rose Bowl!

Per the U:

Big Ten Announces Minnesota Conference Opponents for 2024-2028

The Big Ten announced today the conference opponents that Minnesota will play in 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027 and 2028.

The 2024 season will be the first that will feature Oregon, UCLA, USC and Washington as Big Ten members in the soon-to-be, 18-team conference. It will also be the first season that will feature no divisional format.

The Big Ten will continue to play nine conference games, which is something that the conference has done since 2016. Today's announcement also ensured that all 18 schools will play each conference opponent at least twice – one game at home and one on the road – in a five-year cycle.

The conference also announced 12 protected rivalry games that will be played every year in the Big Ten. Minnesota has two protected matchups, as it will continue to play Wisconsin and Iowa every season. The Minnesota-Wisconsin game is the most played game in Big Ten history, while the Minnesota-Iowa game is tied for the fourth-most played game in conference history.

The 2024 season will conclude with the annual Big Ten Football Championship Game, which will feature the top two teams in the overall conference standings at the end of the regular season, with the winner earning the Big Ten Championship. Tiebreaking procedures will be announced later.

The game dates for the 2024 football schedule will be announced later this year.

Minnesota's Big Ten Opponents in 2024-2028

Home
Iowa
Maryland
Penn State
USC

Away
Illinois
Michigan
Rutgers
UCLA
Wisconsin

Home
Michigan State
Nebraska
Purdue
Rutgers
Wisconsin

Away
Iowa
Northwestern
Ohio State
Oregon

Home
Iowa
Michigan
Northwestern
UCLA

Away
Indiana
Penn State
Purdue
Washington
Wisconsin

Home
Illinois
Indiana
Ohio State
Washington
Wisconsin

Away
Iowa
Maryland
Nebraska
USC

Home
Iowa
Maryland
Nebraska
Oregon

Away
Michigan State
Ohio State
Rutgers
UCLA
Wisconsin
Sorry. I'm afraid it will take me a while to get used to this "new" big ten.

Or we'll get some national attention if we manage to win games.
High risk - high reward type of stuff.

But yeah, looks like cupcakes are off the menu...
We have played Indiana 3 times in the last 9 years. We will play them twice in the next 5.

We have played Rutgers 3 times in the last 9 years. We play them 3 times in the next 5.

10 makes too much sense. But that eliminates 9 games for the network and partners to broadcast.
And people are already entangled in non conference contracts for a decade out

Wish I would’ve done this myself but I can’t take credit. This is only unbeaten combos.
Also could be some combos of 3-5 ties where teams have one less with no natural tiebreak.

I think I’m cheering for that.

The B1G got a lot harder to win with these adds and no divisions.

In 2025 Wisconsin plays Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, Oregon and Washington. Not to mention Minnesota and Iowa. Yikes.

UCLA is like the 5-7 best team in the pac 12
Not sure why anyone is afraid of them
And they haven't been a big time powerhouse for a really long time.
They have less fan support that we do and have worse facilities than we do.

USC and UCLA are the same drive for me as Mpls to Evanston. Yeehah.

Don't get too bent out of shape about this. It will all change again when the B1G adds a couple current ACC members

That was my thought, too, as I was looking at the Gophers’ future opponents. I’m guessing ‘24 and ‘25 will be pretty solid, but after that, we might very well be looking at a 20-school Big Ten.

4. Losses before we start the season. Then through in NC, and Iowa, all of a sudden you have to pray for 6 wins to get to a second tier bowl. Sad

In a 12 team playoff, any team left out in that situation likely gets a spot in the playoffs, so does the conference championship really matter?

not to compare, but WI has it easy compared to us...
Badgers face Ohio St once and Michigan once in this 4 year span.
Gophers face Ohio St 3 times and Michigan 2 times.
I'm not going to be fixated on just Mich & OSU anymore as I think that USC, Wash & Ore are going to likely be consistent top performers in the New Big 10. If you look at it from that perspective and review Wisky's schedule, then they have plenty of challenges. They haven't exactly been tearing up PAC 12 opponents as of late as WSU is a good not great team. Going forward every year will be like playing a tough schedule in what is the current Big Ten East. There really isn't going to be any place to hide if you don't have your shit together.

not to compare, but WI has it easy compared to us...
Badgers face Ohio St once and Michigan once in this 4 year span.
Gophers face Ohio St 3 times and Michigan 2 times.
But you are. It’s a five year draw. They also face Oregon more.

I'm not going to be fixated on just Mich & OSU anymore as I think that USC, Wash & Ore are going to likely be consistent top performers in the New Big 10. If you look at it from that perspective and review Wisky's schedule, then they have plenty of challenges. They haven't exactly been tearing up PAC 12 opponents as of late as WSU is a good not great team. Going forward every year will be like playing a tough schedule in what is the current Big Ten East. There really isn't going to be any place to hide if you don't have your shit together.
Maybe, but Michigan and OSU are ranked higher than those teams usually. They are right now, in fact.

Yea, next year will be exciting football in the spotlight but, wow, is that brutal. Hopefully the glamour helps with Minnesota recruiting.

Minnesota hits the Southern California media market big, basically the largest potential TV market in USA (New York does not have prime football).

1696549632965.png

I know Vikings fans have a decent presence in Southern Cal. I wonder about Gophers fans.

That's a good one. UCLA plays at the Rose Bowl.

Yea, next year will be exciting football in the spotlight but, wow, is that brutal. Hopefully the glamour helps with Minnesota recruiting.

Minnesota hits the Southern California media market big, basically the largest potential TV market in USA (New York does not have prime football).

View attachment 27496

I know Vikings fans have a decent presence in Southern Cal. I wonder about Gophers fans.
As I look at the 5 year cycle, 4/5 years are manageable

Next year is a beast.

None of this makes any sense unless they have divisions, preferably East-West, as before. Instead of 7 teams per league there would now be 9. Without divisions, it will be blah. Who cares if you're 14th or 11th or 16th? Will be ugly.

USC, UCLA, Penn St. and Michigan? Give me a freakin break. I thought this year was tough. Schedule maker trying to bury us!
UCLA is an easier draw than Oregon, Washington, wisconsin, Ohio state
It could be worse.

None of this makes any sense unless they have divisions, preferably East-West, as before. Instead of 7 teams per league there would now be 9. Without divisions, it will be blah. Who cares if you're 14th or 11th or 16th? Will be ugly.
I too like divisions.
18 is a bad number for it.

If/when it goes to 20 there could be in 5 team divisions.
Play 4 every year plus an entire other division. Basically you’ll play 4 every year, play everyone else home and home every 6 years.
Whichever divisions crossover will be the real “divisions” and they will change every year.

To me that’s a better model and more fun. But the math just doesn’t work very well with 18 teams and a 9 game schedule.

Add Clemson and Florida state.

Group A
Washington
Oregon
USC
UCLA
Nebraska (or northwestern)

Group B
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Iowa
Illinois