2024-2025 Depth Chart

Willwin40

Reaction score
Hart/Johnson
Heyer/Holloway/Cinzano
Braun/McKinney/Madol
GG/Johnson
Battle/Klick

I’m not sure that Dalen and Zie will be back. The newcomers have more quickness and that should help a lot. One or two good players from the portal would be great. Much more depth next season.

Braun- Get healthy. Work on her handle especially the left she needs to be able to take people off the dribble and finish with some physicality.. Needs to increase her overall Fg% into the low 40’s..increase her FT attempted from 3 a game to at least 5 a game… If she is able to drive to the hoop better she will increase her FG%… settles for too many tough threes.. especially against good teams because she struggles off the dribble.from three she is streaky.. she shoots it a bit flat and drifts when she drives left and shoots her jumper that IMO is why she is streaky.. love her love her game these are nit pick small things that can make her a star she is a good player that needs to take another step..

GG- really like her… great feet! Quick release.. decent athlete.. not fast but has quickness because of those feet… a lot of basketball is about positioning and having some quickness in short bursts… great IQ and great feel for the game… willing smart passer… showed a little mid range game… calm, confident not afraid.. RESPECTFULLY here I would like to see her get a little leaner… this would help with her lateral quickness on D and her overall game…I think a big off season from her and she can be a third team all Big 10 candidate IMO… she is a gamer.

GG- really like her… great feet! Quick release.. decent athlete.. not fast but has quickness because of those feet… a lot of basketball is about positioning and having some quickness in short bursts… great IQ and great feel for the game… willing smart passer… showed a little mid range game… calm, confident not afraid.. RESPECTFULLY here I would like to see her get a little leaner… this would help with her lateral quickness on D and her overall game…I think a big off season from her and she can be a third team all Big 10 candidate IMO… she is a gamer.
I like what GG says about Coach P's recruiting eye. GG had an unimpressive list of offers both when she committed to ASU, originally, and when she committed to Coach P at West Virginia. Her relative lack of athleticism seems like the likely explanation. But she can shoot, and she knows how to play. And Coach P saw that, when the rest of the BIG (other than Wisconsin) passed on her. I also agree that modest to moderate improvements in GG's fitness could pay big dividends.

Braun- Get healthy. Work on her handle especially the left she needs to be able to take people off the dribble and finish with some physicality.. Needs to increase her overall Fg% into the low 40’s..increase her FT attempted from 3 a game to at least 5 a game…
You are right that FG% is key for Braun (and Battle), especially 2-point FG%. 46 BIG players averaged 10 points or more per game this season (whole year, not conference play), and Braun and Battle were 45th (Braun) and 46th (Battle) in 2-point FG% out of this group.

I remember when Whalen lost some weight before one of her seasons with the Lynx. She was much quicker. I think it would help GG to do the same.

I remember when Whalen lost some weight before one of her seasons with the Lynx. She was much quicker. I think it would help GG to do the same.
Definitely. GG is a good player. But she needs to hit the gym in the offseason. She needs to get stronger and lose 15+ pounds of "bad" weight. Because she's a good player, she could get away with that in HS but that's not the case in B1G. She'll be a much more nimble and quicker player because of it.

Yeah Battle needs to figure some things out in her game.. ball security number one.. she is not the most instinctive player.. dribbles with her head down ALOT.. there is some skill there.. hope it clicks

Now that this season is over I hope everyone can put to bed the excuse that the Gophers are a "young" team. Battle, Heyer, and Braun (when healthy) have now started every game for two years, while Czinano and Hart will be seniors. Time for them to show some progress.

Battle made strides this year. After Braun went down she elevated her responsibilities to score. Now she needs work to maintain that scoring ability while simultaneously improving her court vision and passing off the dribble. By no means an unreasonable or unachievable next step to being a strong point guard in the BIG10.

Battle made strides this year. After Braun went down she elevated her responsibilities to score. Now she needs work to maintain that scoring ability while simultaneously improving her court vision and passing off the dribble. By no means an unreasonable or unachievable next step to being a strong point guard in the BIG10.
I didn't see the St Louis game. It appears by the box score they shut down Battle defensively. G$$ also was somewhat shut down.
Amaya is our point guard next year. Her growth was immense. She carried the scoring load!
G$$ and Battle had to run out of gas!
Next year we will have more scorers.
My concern is our defense in the paint. I've been a Johnson backer all season. Her athleticism is amazing. Hart needs to improve her footwork and movements.
Holloway is a power forward. Her time playing center was very good.
Our post play needs help.

I love our team and am excited for next year.
Coach P will recruit more outstanding players!
SKI-U-MAH

The big question for next year is how do they get quicker and more efficient and improve the consistent shooting. McKenna Johnson is supposed to be more of a shooter but as we know with current sophomores it takes time. How is Kennedy Klick coming with her injury?

Battle showed great improvements and if she can become more comfortable taking and making 3's she will be really dangerous. This year she was 22% from 3's. Needs to be 35%.

Iowa 3 pt percentages:

Clark - 37.8%
Marshall - 35.7%
Affolter - 41.4%
Martin - 37%
Stuelke - 8 attempts only but 50%
McCabe - 46.1%

When you are smaller you need to be able to be hitting higher percentages. When you are hitting 3's from everyone the paint opens up!

Sophie Hart helped the team a lot, but with all her injuries and size, we could use another 5 player as Hart is most efficient playing about 5-7 minutes at a time. AJ is developing, but as with Holloway probably still developing more next year with bigger minutes coming. Liz Karlan and Annika Stewart would be 2 great senior leaders if we could get them for Grad year.

Also have to see if anyone hits the portal.

We're 4 days post our last game and no news on any portal movement.

We're 4 days post our last game and no news on any portal movement.
The players still have to finish out the semester. Also, this week and next week likely are the end-of-the-season exit interviews where players and coaches have difficult conversations about expectations going forward, playing time, who is coming into the program, what they are looking for in the portal, etc and that is usually when players enter portal after those convos and discussions.

The players still have to finish out the semester. Also, this week and next week likely are the end-of-the-season exit interviews where players and coaches have difficult conversations about expectations going forward, playing time, who is coming into the program, what they are looking for in the portal, etc and that is usually when players enter portal after those convos and discussions.
That's a perfect world, but they are going to go in the portal as soon as possible if there is any chance they are not coming back.

Top Bottom