2023 will be so different .....

Texan Gopher

Reaction score
The badgers offensive philosophy will be the complete opposite.

The boilermakers will be a D first ball control team.

The huskers will recruit like crazy and have talent again.

Illinois will lose their biggest strength now that their DC is gone.

Call me crazy but Ferentz and old school Iowa may have to part as I think they will have a tough year.

We will actually pass more than 15 times a game.

Should be extremely interesting.

Illinois will be still strong on defense if the players are there. They will simply reload as to a DC.
Iowa will be tough.
Huskers will be better if the environment in the locker room is good with all the new players.
Badgers will be tough.
Not sure about the boilermakers.

Who knows? Maybe in the last year of East-West divisions, the Gophers will actually win the West. (A guy can dream, can't he?)

Yes, will be interesting or, in other words, hard to predict.

The badgers offensive philosophy will be the complete opposite.

The boilermakers will be a D first ball control team.

The huskers will recruit like crazy and have talent again.

Illinois will lose their biggest strength now that their DC is gone.

Call me crazy but Ferentz and old school Iowa may have to part as I think they will have a tough year.

We will actually pass more than 15 times a game.

Should be extremely interesting.
Lot of changes across the division to be sure....but it wasn't like the West was predictable before all this happened.

Should help us some that 3 of our division foes are in year one with a new head coach. No matter how the coaching hires work out long term the first year tends to have some struggles.

change is the only constant in the universe - and in college football.

add to the coaching changes all of the personnel changes with the portal, and every year becomes a unique entity.

whatever School A did against School B last year really doesn't matter, because both schools could have different schemes or at least different personnel.

makes it interesting as a fan.

But - I predict we will definitely hear or read plenty of stories from coaches and coordinators talking about "how hard it is to prepare for Team X" because of all the changes.

Illinois will be still strong on defense if the players are there. They will simply reload as to a DC.

Likely lose all three of front 3 of their 3-4, one lb, and two of four dbs. The corner was voted best in Big, the safety very good. Four of these six could be drafted.

Illini on O lose Chase Brown, likely Devito, 3 of 5 olinemen, top 2 TEs.

Attachments

• 1671371592506.png
    1671371592506.png
    33.8 KB · Views: 3

That’s not a change.
Exactly. The change in Nebraska, if it happens, is that it won't be burdened by a personally loathsome, toxic HC who alienates and/or chases away much of that high-end talent (rendering Nebraska's hypothetical recruiting advantage meaningless).

Iowa took QB McNamara (who started for much of 2021) and a TE with potential from the Wolverines in the transfer portal. If Iowa can upgrade its OL (it has a 5* OL recruit in this year's HS class--Proctor--rated no. 12 player in nation), it should score more than it did with Petras at the helm. If its defense stays great, Iowa should remain a formidable and frustrating "close game" foe.

I don't think any "parting" will happen in the near future. Ferentz's contract runs through 2029 and I think his buyout is pretty big.

I don't think any "parting" will happen in the near future. Ferentz's contract runs through 2029 and I think his buyout is pretty big.
Gary Barta doesn’t seem like the bravest of guys too.

He has to save money for all those lawsuits.

Last edited:

With the portal and transfer rule some rosters with new coaches are turning over upwards of half their scholarship players. It’s a new world.

Top Bottom