2023 Prior Lake offensive lineman Greg Johnson commits to the gophers

Wtf does this even mean....'on paper, like all future classes'. Is this a riddle?

Do you think judging a class 7 months before signing day is a touch premature?

What are your dislikes about each player (outside of their ranking)? I'm really curious on your evaluation since you've deemed it 'not a strong class' already.

I'm totally cherry picking for fun but Mafe and AWJr were both rated 82 and in the 1400s nationally....so maybe hold off on judgment and let it play out.

P.S. sorry to derail. I'm excited about another local kid staying home!
Wow, lighten up Frances. State of Minnesota recruits national rankings on 247, Rivals. They all start ranked "On paper" until they get to college. Very few of us have the opportunity to see these players in person in HS and understand the level of competition, etc, so have to rely on the rankings. On that, it is not as strong as other classes have been on paper.

Ryan Burns interview with the PL head coach:

Minnesota OL commit Greg Johnson has a "mean streak" says high school coach​

GopherIllustrated reached out to Minnesota offensive line commit Greg Johnson's high school head coach at Prior Lake in Matt Gegenheimer to learn more about Minnesota's newest commit.

GopherIllustrated: What can you tell me about Greg as a player and as a person off the field?
Matt Gegenheimer: I have been watching Greg play football since he has been in our youth football program. Been great to watch him grow and mature over the years. Off the field, Greg is a very high-character kid, very humble. He has committed himself to the weight room more and more over the last couple years which has really benefitted him as a player. Greg has the size and strength now to be a very good offensive lineman in the Big 10. As a player, he has a mean streak in him and plays with a chip on his shoulder, something you love to see in a player."

GopherIllustrated: How involved were you in the recruiting process with him and what'd you think of the Gopher coaches?
Matt Gegenheimer: Great did a good job off promoting himself and his play can back that up. Greg is a different kid than he was even 6 months ago at the end of last season. He has put himself in a position to be deserving of a D1 offer kid and he has earned the opportunities he has in front of him. I thought the Gopher coaches did a better job of being more visible around the state and getting into as many high schools as they could. They have been very honest about the process and felt very strongly about creating a relationship with Greg before they offered him."

GopherIllustrated: What are his strengths as a player that will allow him to excel at the next level and what are something's he needs to work on before he becomes a Big Ten defensive tackle?
Matt Gegenheimer: Greg will continue to work hard at the things necessary to be successful at the next level. He is an extremely motivated player and I think the biggest challenge will be learning how to compete with 20/21 year old men. I think that is the challenge for every young man stepping into D1 football, but have no doubt Greg will be ready to compete."

GopherIllustrated: How far has Greg really come as a player since you started working with him, and how is his work ethic, and what's his role on the team heading into his senior season?
Matt Gegenheimer: Greg has always been a hard worker, but now even more motivated than ever. Greg wants to be great at everything he does and he can be coached hard and pushed. Greg will be one of our best Team leaders, especially on offense. Greg will set the standard high for himself and his teammates."

GopherIllustrated: And what do you think Minnesota fans can expect to see out of Martin these next four-five years as a defensive lineman?
Matt Gegenheimer: Greg will come in ready to compete and as soon as the coaches feel he is ready for more opportunity, Greg will be ready. Minnesota is getting a very motivated player who takes a lot of pride in playing for his home state."

GopherIllustrated: And what do you think Minnesota fans can expect to see out of Martin these next four-five years as a defensive lineman?

:sneaky: a little of the old control v ... eh Ryan?

Hard to tell but it hurts Bucky is gone, really liked watching him get a little space in the open field.

Wow, lighten up Frances. State of Minnesota recruits national rankings on 247, Rivals. They all start ranked "On paper" until they get to college. Very few of us have the opportunity to see these players in person in HS and understand the level of competition, etc, so have to rely on the rankings. On that, it is not as strong as other classes have been on paper.
We never rely on the rankings. Our coaching staff evaluations and interest / offers from other good programs are all that matter.

Top Bottom