2023 MN High School Football season

Some pretty interesting scores tonight.

Mankato West rolled Andover by two TD's 35-21.
Outstate Brainerd beat Metro Elk River 39-35
Champlin Park upset 6A champs Maple Grove 25-24

My two interests:
Forest Lake (my alma mater) beat East Ridge 35 - 21.

Wayzata (where I coach younger kids and where my kid is in the program) lost to Minnetonka 22-21.

Really good and closely matched game. Wayzata made a fatal mistake when they fumbled into the endzone about to score, giving the ball back to Tonka on a touch back. Tonka took a gamble going for two to take the lead in the second half and it worked. Wayzata couldn't get down close enough at the end to at least get a field goal try to win. Wayzata is now 0-2 on the season. Minnetonka goes to 2-0.

Last edited:

My two interests:

Wayzata (where I coach and where my kid is in the program) lost to Minnetonka 22-21.

Really good and closely matched game. Wayzata made a fatal mistake when they fumbled into the endzone about to score, giving the ball back to Tonka on a touch back. Tonka took a gamble going for two to take the lead in the second half and it worked. Wayzata couldn't get down close enough at the end to at least get a field goal try to win. Wayzata is now 0-2 on the season. Minnetonka goes to 2-0.
Fantastic games

Simley lost too! 4A, 5A, and 6A state champs all go down.

Lost to Totino. Are they 4A this year?? If so, crock of ____.

Or is the "Yellow" division (are you f'ing for real with these division names???) of the 37 division "Skyway" (lol) all 5A teams?

Or is the "Yellow" division (are you f'ing for real with these division names???) of the 37 division "Skyway" (lol) all 5A teams?
TG is 4a this year.
TG had discussions of 5a or 4a.
4a is their proper placement, they had been opting up to 6a.

From what I hear TG thought if they were 5a they’d have put them in the gauntlet schedule and they’d go 0-8 against a schedule of Cretin, STA, Andover, elk River, Mankato west, chanhassen, etc

Privates should not be rated at the same for enrollment as publics. I know reduced lunch is subtracted, still doesn't matter.

Some states won't even let privates and publics play for the same championships.

I would support that for Minnesota.

TG is 4a this year.
TG had discussions of 5a or 4a.
4a is their proper placement, they had been opting up to 6a.

From what I hear TG thought if they were 5a they’d have put them in the gauntlet schedule and they’d go 0-8 against a schedule of Cretin, STA, Andover, elk River, Mankato west, chanhassen, etc
TG overachieved for years, but it is amazing how quickly they have fallen back to reality.

6A looking pretty wide open. Match ups are so different every week. Centennial looks really good on offense and teams struggle with their option. In the end I believe it will be a south metro final 4 likely.

After 2 weeks there are 8 undefeated teams left in 6A.

Eden Prairie, Shakopee, Minnetonka, Centennial, Anoka, Mounds View, Lakeville North and Lakeville South.

This Week

Lakeville North vs South
Mounds View vs Forest Lake
Anoka vs Blaine
Centennial vs Maple Grove
Eden Prairie vs Prior Lake
Shakopee vs Wayzata
Minnetonka vs Edina

Should be down to about 5-6 undefeated teams come next Monday.

Privates should not be rated at the same for enrollment as publics. I know reduced lunch is subtracted, still doesn't matter.

Some states won't even let privates and publics play for the same championships.

Do I dare ask why?

My two interests:

Wayzata (where I coach younger kids and where my kid is in the program) lost to Minnetonka 22-21.

I don't know anything about Andover but West is always very good and has a lot of talent that will play on Saturdays.

How did Cuba City play tonight?

Potosi beat Cuba City 50-21 (assuming you are talking about Cuba City, Wisconsin)

I used to cover Cuba City when I was working at a radio station in Platteville, WI. In fact I called their Boys State Basketball championship game in '91 and 2 Girls state Basketball championships in '90 & '91.

I think 5A is a 4 team race for the Prep Bowl title.

Mankato West
Chanhassen
Andover
Rogers

West and Chanhassen are in the same section so only one of them will be in the state tournament. They play each other week 5 @ Chanhassen. West also plays Rogers the last game of the regular season. These are the 4 best teams in 5A IMO.

With open enrollment, any advantage that private schools once had is pretty much non-existent at this point. Look at what a powerhouse Cretin used to be, playing up to the largest class. They just lost to Bemidji.

I think Texas and California have separate private school divisions, but part of that is probably due to the huge number of schools in each state. I don't think CA even has a full state championship.

I think I read recently that even Pennsylvania now has the big time historic Philly powerhouse Catholic schools playing the publics.

I hate to agree with you, but the names and placements are super confusing. Some districts have four teams, some have eight etc. Games outside of the district count differently. All the "skyway" districts etc.

With open enrollment, any advantage that private schools once had is pretty much non-existent at this point. Look at what a powerhouse Cretin used to be, playing up to the largest class. They just lost to Bemidji.

I think Texas and California have separate private school divisions, but part of that is probably due to the huge number of schools in each state. I don't think CA even has a full state championship.

I think I read recently that even Pennsylvania now has the big time historic Philly powerhouse Catholic schools playing the publics.
Football is not really an issue, but I think Basketball is where 2 players can really make a A team more of an AAAA team. Football is about numbers and the traditional private powers struggle to get enough kids to come play anymore. More private options as well.

Football is not really an issue, but I think Basketball is where 2 players can really make a A team more of an AAAA team. Football is about numbers and the traditional private powers struggle to get enough kids to come play anymore. More private options as well.
But that's even more of where open enrollment mitigates any real private school advantage.

We discussed it last year here:

Editing this after re-reading that thread. I think one exception might be something like Gentry, but that's more similar to IMG than it is Hill-Murray or St. Agnes.

Last edited:

Mankato West
Chanhassen
Andover
Rogers

West and Chanhassen are in the same section so only one of them will be in the state tournament. They play each other week 5 @ Chanhassen. West also plays Rogers the last game of the regular season. These are the 4 best teams in 5

Mankato West
Chanhassen
Andover
Rogers

West and Chanhassen are in the same section so only one of them will be in the state tournament. They play each other week 5 @ Chanhassen. West also plays Rogers the last game of the regular season. These are the 4 best teams in 5A IMO.

From the 1970's when Mankato split into 2 high schools until the mid 1990's West was a bottom feeder. I am not sure what happened but that program sure got better. East has had a few great teams also. The Rochester schools are a different story. They have fallen off the mat except for Mayo.

6A looking pretty wide open. Match ups are so different every week. Centennial looks really good on offense and teams struggle with their option. In the end I believe it will be a south metro final 4 likely.
Agree

I’d rank them:
1) EP
2) lakeville north
3) lakeville south
4) rosemount
5) centennial
6) shakopee
7) Minnetonka

Honestly this is the most balanced it’s been in years.
Probably 20 different teams that could be final 8.

Potosi beat Cuba City 50-21 (assuming you are talking about Cuba City, Wisconsin)

I used to cover Cuba City when I was working at a radio station in Platteville, WI. In fact I called their Boys State Basketball championship game in '91 and 2 Girls state Basketball championships in '90 & '91.
Those were the days! Glarners forever!

The advantage that private schools have is smaller enrollment size.

Totino at 4A enrollment levels can attract a number of high level players that would not likely exist naturally at a 4A level public school.

You're implying that Simley can recruit just as much. Sure they can, but do they? Would love to know the average distance driven to school each day by the starting 22 of each, Simley and Totino. Wild guess is Totino is probably triple to quadruple and Simley is a bunch of IGH kids and some kids from nextdoor districts (SSP, WSP, maybe Rosemount kid who didn't think he could start there).

The advantage that private schools have is smaller enrollment size.

Totino at 4A enrollment levels can attract a number of high level players that would not likely exist naturally at a 4A level public school.

You're implying that Simley can recruit just as much. Sure they can, but do they? Would love to know the average distance driven to school each day by the starting 22 of each, Simley and Totino. Wild guess is Totino is probably triple to quadruple and Simley is a bunch of IGH kids and some kids from nextdoor districts (SSP, WSP, maybe Rosemount kid who didn't think he could start there).
The recruiting idea in football is a bit overblown. It's more about parents and kids seeking better programs than recruiting. It's also about economics and families affording the private school.

I think your last sentence is a perception that isn't true. Most kids that can't start for their school don't transfer and start. Most transfers are likely to academics, friends, bullying, behavior issues, family dynamics, etc.

Basketball is a whole different story.

First Rankings Out.

First-place votes in parentheses, record, total points
CLASS 6A

1. Eden Prairie (8) 2-0, 106
2. Lakeville South (1) 2-0, 84
3. Lakeville North (1) 2-0, 80
4. Shakopee (1) 2-0, 79
5. Minnetonka 2-0, 74
6. Centennial 2-0, 61
7. Anoka 2-0, 31
8. Mounds View 2-0, 26
9. Rosemount 1-1, 17
10. Forest Lake 1-1, 15
Others receiving votes: Maple Grove 12, East Ridge 7, Champlin Park 5, Stillwater 4, Prior Lake 2, Wayzata 2, Edina 1.
CLASS 5A
1. Mankato West (9) 2-0, 106
2. Chanhassen (1) 2-0, 87
3. Rogers 2-0, 84
4. Brainerd (1) 2-0, 78
5. Robb. Armstrong 2-0, 40
6. Alexandria 2-0, 39
7. New Prague 2-0, 32
8. Robb. Cooper 2-0, 26
9. Sauk Rapids-Rice 2-0, 23
10. Andover 1-1, 22
Others receiving votes: Mankato East 20, Elk River 15, St. Thomas Academy 7, Bemidji 6, Cretin-Derham Hall 5, Mahtomedi 5, Monticello 5, Hastings 3, Moorhead 2.
CLASS 4A
1. Hutchinson (8) 2-0, 97
2. Becker (2) 2-0, 87
3. Totino-Grace (1) 2-0, 75
4. Orono 2-0, 72
5. Byron 2-0, 46
6. Detroit Lakes 2-0, 45
7. Mound-Westonka 2-0, 36
8. Hermantown 2-0, 34
9. Chisago Lakes 2-0, 29
10. New Ulm 2-0, 26
Others receiving votes: Princeton 20, Simley 7, Minneapolis Henry 6, Rocori 6, Duluth Denfeld 4, Fridley 4, Kasson-Mantorville 2, Little Falls 1.
CLASS 3A
1. Dassel-Cokato (2) 2-0, 87
2. Esko (3) 2-0, 82
3. Stewartville (3) 2-0, 79
4. New London-Spicer (3) 2-0, 76
5. Fairmont 2-0, 66
6. Watertown-Mayer 2-0, 50
7. Annandale 2-0, 49
8. Jordan 2-0, 26
9. Pequot Lakes 2-0, 22
10. St. Croix Lutheran (2-0), 20
Others receiving votes: Minneapolis North 15, Dilworth-Glyndon-Felton 10, Morris Area 7, Pierz 4, Two Harbors 4, Waseca 4, Foley 3, Milaca 2, Rochester Lourdes 1.
CLASS 2A
1. (tie) Barnesville (5) 2-0, 86
1. (tie) Caledonia (3) 2-0, 86
3. Chatfield (2) 2-0, 81
4. Eden Valley-Watkins 2-0, 69
5. Cannon Falls 2-0, 58
6. Jackson County Central 2-0, 55
7. (tie) St. Agnes (1), 2-0, 23
7. (tie) Osakis 2-0, 23
9. Holdingford 2-0, 22
10. Barnum 2-0, 21
Others receiving votes: Pelican Rapids 19, Norwood-Young America 14, Kerkhoven-Murdock-Sunburg 10, Triton 10, Moose Lake/Willow River 7, Minnesota Valley Lutheran 6, Dover-Eyota 4, Park Rapids 4, International Falls 3, Pipestone Area 3, Paynesville 2.
CLASS 1A
1. Minneota (4) 2-0, 80
2. BOLD (2) 2-0, 76
3. Springfield (2) 2-0, 64
4. Fillmore Central (2) 2-0, 57
5. Mayer Lutheran 2-0, 53
6. Mahnomen/Waubun 2-0, 51
7. Lester Prairie 2-0, 35
8. Goodhue (1) 2-0, 34
9. Upsala/Swanville 2-0, 26
10. Ada-Borup-West 2-0, 22
Others receiving votes: Braham 20, Bethlehem Academy 12, Browerville-Eagle Valley 11, Parkers Prairie 11, Gibbon-Fairfax-Winthrop 11, Red Lake County 10, Belgrade-Brooten-Elrosa 8, Kenyon-Wanamingo 8, Canby 6, Sleepy Eye United 5.
NINE-MAN
1. Mountain Iron-Buhl (6) 2-0, 100
2. Spring Grove (3) 2-0, 88
3. Fertile-Beltrami (1) 2-0, 64
4. Kittson Co. Central 2-0, 55
5. Cherry 2-0, 52
6, Nevis (1) 2-0, 45
7. Ogilvie 2-0, 39
8. Edgerton 2-0, 33
9. Ottertail Central 2-0, 25
10. Houston 2-0, 22
Others receiving votes: Kelliher-Northome 17, Clearbrook-Convick 15, Stephen-Argyle 12, Kingsland 11, Cedar Mountain 8, LeRoy-Ostrander 8, Hills/Beaver Creek 5, Red Rock Central 4, Southland 4, New Ulm Cathedral 3, Border West 2, Hancock 1, Win-E-Mac 1.

Then that only strengthens the point that it is unfair and absurd frankly for a school like Torino to be in 4A.

I could go with 5A. Same for Cretin. I don’t think there’s a private that needs to be forced up into 6A.

Top Bottom