2023 Chicago LB Matt Kingsbury commits to Gophers

Matt Kingsbury, LB, St. Rita: A 6-3, 225-pound hard-hitting senior linebacker, Kingsbury led the Mustangs with 87 tackles while adding a sack, a blocked punt, and two safeties. He helped St. Rita to a 7-2 regular-season record and earned all-conference honors in the CCL Green as well as the CCL Green Tony Lawless Athlete of the Year Award. He will look to lead St. Rita to a deep postseason run in the 7A bracket.

1671407719271.png

Big kid. Probably will play ILB at 245-50. Late developer but lots of kudos this year in Chicago football. Probably a year or two to develop; an MSM run-stopper type … who also can blitz. Speed to help in pass coverage? Time will tell.

The kid seems to be able to diagnose really well, get through the wash and shed blocks. Hits hard. Not sure about his speed and def time will tell on his coverage (pretty tight hips and lower body)

However I think this kid could be valuable. If he went to a G5 or FCS school, he'd probably ascend to starting soon, get 80 tackles a season and after 1-2 yrs enter the portal and get snatched up by a helmet school.

Last edited:

Why? You realize he's not actually zero stars, right? 247 has him rated 85 (mid 3 star).
I can think of a couple of posters who will have issues with his rating and yes I am aware of the rating by 247! For some people, a recruit isn't worthy of consideration if he isn't at least a high 3* (87+)!

That came out of the blue.....I hadn't seen his name listed anywhere previous to his commitment.

Top Bottom