2023-24 National Championship: Michigan vs Washington

Who Wins

• Michigan

Votes: 54 62.8%
  • Washington

Votes: 32 37.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

I said it the night we played them this year. This year’s Michigan team was the best team I’ve seen play at our new stadium. So good in every phase (though their ST play was wobbly to poor the last two games). What a team.
It was almost as if they knew what plays we were going to run!

Penix draft position doing the slide tonight.
Athleticism isn't everything (and we'll see how athletic Penix is at the combine), but it's night-and-day between him and McCarthy with McCarthy coming out on top. I don't trust Penix' arm either. All that said, the QB position at the pro level is often system-dependent and Penix may be a good fit in a system that complements his short-to-medium game accuracy.

Athleticism isn't everything (and we'll see how athletic Penix is at the combine), but it's night-and-day between him and McCarthy with McCarthy coming out on top. I don't trust Penix' arm either. All that said, the QB position at the pro level is often system-dependent and Penix may be a good fit in a system that complements his short-to-medium game accuracy.
Wondering if Penix has a broken rib or two...could that affect his availability for the combine?

Hard to say based on tonight and system. JJ is almost never touched and gets to scramble off boots and zone read. Penix got demolished all night behind maybe one of the worst games you’ll see from an interior OL and RT outside of the Vikings. Very different scrambling through traffic and a guy running on an ACL that’s been torn twice.

All that said, Penix’s arm is top tier but you can’t let any qb get hit that much and expect it to be on. The rib and ankle injuries did not help either. Reminded me a lot of Fields the year he got absolutely wrecked by Skalski. Those body shots kill a QB who’s trying to torque the ball and is a huge part why he kept throwing high

You take him (or a qb) and let them develop for 2 years. The perpetual can down the road has led to a mid tier franchise forever in the wild card zone
It depends on where you see the team the next couple of years. I think it might make more sense to just take our lumps. Draft a QB, trade away any high prices veterans, eat Cousins huge dead cap hit this year, have another high draft pick next year and cap space.

You can go the Packer route or the Texans route but I just think with all our cap obligations and needs on defense, I think I’d risk it and just hand over the keys to the QB we draft.

Mccarthy coming out on top?

TF?

It depends on where you see the team the next couple of years. I think it might make more sense to just take our lumps. Draft a QB, trade away any high prices veterans, eat Cousins huge dead cap hit this year, have another high draft pick next year and cap space.

You can go the Packer route or the Texans route but I just think with all our cap obligations and needs on defense, I think I’d risk it and just hand over the keys to the QB we draft.
I mean that’s 100% the train I’m on but you need to take a qb this year even if you’re going to let Kirk play it out.

Mccarthy coming out on top?

TF?
In terms of athleticism. I could be wrong, but I think McCarthy's 40-time is better than Penix'. That doesn't mean all that much and Penix may do better in raw strength categories, but McCarthy is flat-out fast.

In terms of athleticism. I could be wrong, but I think McCarthy's 40-time is better than Penix'. That doesn't mean all that much and Penix may do better in raw strength categories, but McCarthy is flat-out fast.
Hard to say because depends on where you pull 40s from. Per their draft profiles (no idea where info comes from) but has Penix at 4.71 and Mccarthy at 4.87. States this is from is from a 247 draft combine. Then elsewhere on the same profile has Mccarthy at 4.6 and Penix a 4.64. So they're about the same in straight line speed.

All that said, who cares what your QBs 40 time is? They both move around remarkably well within the pocket which is the more important part.

I think McCarthy is a better athlete than Penix but Penix is the better quarterback. I don’t know about raw 40 time.

Hard to say based on tonight and system. JJ is almost never touched and gets to scramble off boots and zone read. Penix got demolished all night behind maybe one of the worst games you’ll see from an interior OL and RT outside of the Vikings. Very different scrambling through traffic and a guy running on an ACL that’s been torn twice.

All that said, Penix’s arm is top tier but you can’t let any qb get hit that much and expect it to be on. The rib and ankle injuries did not help either. Reminded me a lot of Fields the year he got absolutely wrecked by Skalski. Those body shots kill a QB who’s trying to torque the ball and is a huge part why he kept throwing high
Well, it meant a lot last night. One of the biggest plays of the game was McCarthy's scramble on 3rd-and-long that got Michigan out from the shadows of their own goalposts. Athleticism aside, from what I've seen, I don't think Penix can make that same play. That is really all I am saying.

Penix deserves a lot of the accolades being thrown his way, but his worst WR/TE is better than Michigan's best from the same player group. Both he and McCarthy are "system" guys to a great extent and we'll have to wait and see how that translates at the next level.

Well, it meant a lot last night. One of the biggest plays of the game was McCarthy's scramble on 3rd-and-long that got Michigan out from the shadows of their own goalposts. Athleticism aside, from what I've seen, I don't think Penix can make that same play. That is really all I am saying.

Penix deserves a lot of the accolades being thrown his way, but his worst WR/TE is better than Michigan's best from the same player group. Both he and McCarthy are "system" guys to a great extent and we'll have to wait and see how that translates at the next level.
Very fair and well said

I'm sure the TV ratings will be solid and way better than Georgia-TCU debacle from last year, but the whole game seemed rather anti-climatic. The atmosphere seemed so sterile unlike the Rose and Sugar Bowl Semis.

Too bad they can't wrap the whole thing by New Year's Day which should always be the end on the College Football calendar, not some Monday or Friday night in the middle of January.

I'm sure the TV ratings will be solid and way better than Georgia-TCU debacle from last year, but the whole game seemed rather anti-climatic. The atmosphere seemed so sterile unlike the Rose and Sugar Bowl Semis.

Too bad they can't wrap the whole thing by New Year's Day which should always be the end on the College Football calendar, not some Monday or Friday night in the middle of January.
As should be the end of the NFL, but look at those damn fools going into Valentine's Day.

However, if you're willing to jettison the entire bowl game tradition, then moving the games up is a fine idea. In so doing you would make the Rose Bowl parade and all pageantry around the big bowls completely meaningless, but you would end the football season earlier.

I thought it was really a great game that still hung in the balance until the 4th quarter. I couldn't really tell from the January 1 games because I wasn't as laced in for those games. I'll admit I do get a bit tired of all the camera shots of families/girlfriends, but that must work at some level.

As should be the end of the NFL, but look at those damn fools going into Valentine's Day.

However, if you're willing to jettison the entire bowl game tradition, then moving the games up is a fine idea. In so doing you would make the Rose Bowl parade and all pageantry around the big bowls completely meaningless, but you would end the football season earlier.
The NFL I am good with going at least until MLK weekend, or even a week later.

As far as being "willing to jettison the entire bowl game tradition", YES, I am completely willing to do that.

Except the Rose Bowl, which should be the National Championship. That would allow the parade and pageantry to remain AS IS. Problem solved.

I said it the night we played them this year. This year’s Michigan team was the best team I’ve seen play at our new stadium. So good in every phase (though their ST play was wobbly to poor the last two games). What a team.
I wanted them to win tonight for the following reasons:

1) It's never bad when a Big Ten Teams wins the title
2) First time I have ever seen a National Champion play in person
3) For some reason, I don't know why, I really like Harbaugh. He possesses nearly everything I don't like about people, but for some reason that I can't explain he draws me in. He's quirky, I find him funny, and he has been wildly successful everywhere he has been.
4) I am not a Michigan fan but college football is better when Michigan is good. It just seems right.

I wanted them to win tonight for the following reasons:

1) It's never bad when a Big Ten Teams wins the title
2) First time I have ever seen a National Champion play in person
3) For some reason, I don't know why, I really like Harbaugh. He possesses nearly everything I don't like about people, but for some reason that I can't explain he draws me in. He's quirky, I find him funny, and he has been wildly successful everywhere he has been.
4) I am not a Michigan fan but college football is better when Michigan is good. It just seems right.
I'm not enamored with Harbaugh for the exact reasons you have laid out, but from a distance I can get a basic understanding of why he's successful and why prospective players want to play for him. Odd personality, but seems a lot more genuine than some of the other great stone faces that populate the coaching fraternity.

I am ok with it extending past NYD but from TV it seemed like the Rose Bowl really was the "Granddaddy of them all." I don't know if it is microphone location, speakers, or what but the crowd came through so much on tv from the Rose Bowl.

I think the CFP is a better crowd but I heard from a buddy that went to the Super Bowl in Minnesota that the game was kind of dull because so many people at the game are just there to watch the game and are not necessarily vested to either team playing.

OSU fans hate watching...

Based on the Atlanta numbers, lots of UGA fans watching while thinking "We would kicked both those teams arsses."

No Three-peat for you.

Top Bottom