2023-2024 College Basketball Other Games Thread

Tough match up for the Gophers. Who does Payne guard?
Looks like they play a rotation of 6 guys.

Robbie Avila, their 6'10" 240 lb center attempts 4 threes per game, and is 40.5% from 3PT (and 82% FT!). He is also their 2nd leading passer, with 3.8 assists per game. I pulled up a quick highlight reel and didn't see any dunks on it, just lots of footwork layups and 3P.

Hope he is able to out-physical him on the offensive end.

Xavier Bledson is their only other rotation player over 200 pounds (6'6" 215 lbs).

Looks like they play a rotation of 6 guys.

Robbie Avila, their 6'10" 240 lb center attempts 4 threes per game, and is 40.5% from 3PT (and 82% FT!).

Hope he is able to out-physical him on the offensive end.

Xavier Bledson is their only other rotation player over 200 pounds (6'6" 215 lbs).
they basically play 3 guards a wing and a center. Avila kicks it out a lot and they are a good shooting team, including free throws.

they out rebounded SMU and averaged more rebounds per game than their opponents

Wonder if Payne will start, then not get as much run as he normally would? Then again can he pound the post instead and they have to adjust to us?

Villanova goes down tonight while Seton Hall needed overtime to get out of the NIT first round as the 1 seed.

Pretty poor showing after lots of griping over the Big East NCAA snubs.

Last edited:

I’d assume Payne will start guarding Avila and Garcia will guard Kent. If Payne can start hitting his layups, I think he could have a huge game against a slower, less athletic big.

When Fox comes in for Payne, I imagine they’d switch.

All in all, B1G off to a good start in B1G play. Will see if Sparty can pull off the win, still shocked they got a 9 seed

No, I didn't. Again, would you like for me to bump the thread?

Your second paragraph is just pure nonsense. I've never seen a group of people discuss people being "slaves" to a tool. I have no idea what point you're making in the bold.

You're becoming unhinged.
Not to dwell on it...but it starts on page 22 of the 'All things Nolan Winter recruitment' thread...where you & I start going at it about Trevor Winter.

Someone asked me a few days ago if I used to be MNJay on here back then. Yes. When I came back with a new name, I mentioned why.

I stand by what I said in that thread. All the way through it, I said I didn't want Nolan Winter.

Villanova goes down tonight while Seton Hall and Cincinnati need overtime to get out of the NIT first round as the 1 and 2 seeds.

Pretty poor showing after lots of griping over the Big East NCAA snubs.
Cincinnati is somehow in the Big 12, fyi.

I don't think NIT results are a great way to determine a conference's strength either.

Cincinnati is somehow in the Big 12, fyi.

I don't think NIT results are a great way to determine a conference's strength either.

Maybe not. But the Big East is 1-4 in the NIT so far.....and four of those games were at home. The point is that their NET rankings were definitely inflated.

Thiam and High Point are playing in the CBI championship against Seattle U today at 4 Central.
I saw the end of the game they lost in conference tournament. Heartbreaking with a blown lead, and just made me appreciate what the mid and low majors go through trying to get a bis to the tournament. Great season and a loss in OT on your home floor to the hottest team in the league. Bitter pill to swallow for those guys. Says a lot about them that they kept playing and didn't throw in the towel, even in a tournament few know exists and fewer care about.

I saw the end of the game they lost in conference tournament. Heartbreaking with a blown lead, and just made me appreciate what the mid and low majors go through trying to get a bis to the tournament. Great season and a loss in OT on your home floor to the hottest team in the league. Bitter pill to swallow for those guys. Says a lot about them that they kept playing and didn't throw in the towel, even in a tournament few know exists and fewer care about.

Part of the problem is that outside of the championship game on ESPN2......the rest are streamed through FloHoops.....which also has the rights to a few of the early season tournaments. Think it's like $30 a month or something.....which is a total rip off for what you're getting.

That Indiana State coach has quite the story. He was a top 100 tennis player and son of a millionaire. Then things went bad. Had to get his GED because he dropped out of high school. Never played basketball until a junior college coach spotted him in a pick up game. Really worked his way up the ranks. Very successful at Lincoln Memorial D2, etc.

No idea what Illinois is doing.

I haven’t seen domask work anyone in the post the entire 2nd half. That was his whole game the last half of the season.

Wow, Iowa State lost, but former Cretin Derham Hall player Curtis Jones scored his season high 26 off the bench tonight.

Top Bottom