2022 Turkey of the Year Prediction Thread

In the Star Tribune (34 "winners" and one premature sign-off)

2021: Gersson Rosas, former Timberwolves executive

2020: Mark Coyle, Gophers

2019: (The End … or so we thought.)

2018: P.J. Fleck, Gophers

2017: Patrick Reusse, Turkey Chairman

2016: Men's Athletics at the University of Minnesota

2015: The Grim Reaper

2014: 25 Years of the Timberwolves

2013: Terry Ryan, Twins

2012: Tubby Smith, Gophers

2011: Zygi Wilf, Vikings

2010: Brett Favre, Vikings

2009: Tim Brewster, Gophers

2008: Marian Gaborik, Wild

2007: Charlie Weis, Notre Dame

2006: Pam Borton, Gophers

2005: Bob Naegele, Wild

2004: Red McCombs, Vikings

2003: Glen Mason, Gophers

2002: Kevin McHale and Flip Saunders, Wolves

2001: Randy Moss and Cris Carter, Vikings

2000: Jesse Ventura, Minn. Gov.

1999: Clem Haskins, Gophers

1998: Carl Pohlad, Twins

1997: Dennis Green, Vikings

1996: Kerri Strug, Olympian

1995: Warren Moon, Vikings

1994: Jack McCloskey, Wolves

1992: 25 Years of Gophers football

1993: Norm Green, North Stars

1991: Chris Doleman, Vikings

1990: Kent Hrbek, Twins

1989: Mike Lynn, Vikings

1988: Lou Nanne, North Stars

In the Pioneer Press (10 "winners")

1987: Carl Pohlad, Twins

1986: Dr. Kenneth Keller, U of M president

1985: Lou Holtz, Gophers

1984: Les Steckel, Vikings

1983: Paul Giel, Gophers

1982: Billy Martin, A's/Yankees

1981: George Steinbrenner, Yankees

1980: Bobby Knight, Indiana

1979: NFL Commissioner Pete Rozelle; MLB Commissioner Bowie Kuhn

Lame.

Keep politics out of sports. One of the few things we have in this country that doesn't divide us

Mostly agree. Would only say if Herschel Walker never played here and wasn't part of the, hopefully, worst trade in Minnesota history he wouldn't have made the top of the list.

Mostly agree. Would only say if Herschel Walker never played here and wasn't part of the, hopefully, worst trade in Minnesota history he wouldn't have made the top of the list.

He played here a LONG time ago, and the trade wasn't his fault by any stretch, Mike Lynn bares 99.5% of the turkey on that deal. And for him to be THAT high on the list? Safe to say we can all agree that's Pat/STrib making their political statement loud and clear. It was an awfully stupid inclusion, let's be honest about it.

Rosas at the top of the list is as good as I can come up with though; he said a lot of good things when he took the reins and failed miserably, on a number of levels. Thankfully he didn't set the franchise back THAT much, he wasn't around long enough to do that much damage

He played here a LONG time ago, and the trade wasn't his fault by any stretch, Mike Lynn bares 99.5% of the turkey on that deal. And for him to be THAT high on the list? Safe to say we can all agree that's Pat/STrib making their political statement loud and clear. It was an awfully stupid inclusion, let's be honest about it.

Rosas at the top of the list is as good as I can come up with though; he said a lot of good things when he took the reins and failed miserably, on a number of levels. Thankfully he didn't set the franchise back THAT much, he wasn't around long enough to do that much damage

Disagree. Without the Vikings connection and the near CONSTANT mention of it anytime a bad trade is made (re: the Gobert trade) he'd be on the list, but not on top.

Though safe to say that if there wasn't a political connection you wouldn't have noticed. ;)

Hope you're having a Happy Thanksgiving.:drink:

Almost certainly. I think Pat just regretted never giving it to him and saw a chance for a mulligan.

So - in case anyone was wondering:
Number of times winning the Turkey of the Year
Gophers: 12 (this combines FB, Men's and Women's Basketball, AD's, and Administrators)
Vikings: 10
North Stars/Wild: 4
Twins: 4
Wolves: 4
Other: 10 (national figures, politicians)

Wait! What was the actual reason for Rousse wanting to give it to Hershel this year? Confusing pick. This guy just running out of material er something?

If you've heard him on the radio it's all about politics.
Right, saw that with Birk. So not agreeing with his politics is Turkey of the year stuff. Has it always been this way for Turkey of the year? Orrrrrr just lately?

Right, saw that with Birk. So not agreeing with his politics is Turkey of the year stuff. Has it always been this way for Turkey of the year? Orrrrrr just lately?
I think more often then not he likes to rile people up but when it comes to politics he's serious.

Wait! What was the actual reason for Rousse wanting to give it to Hershel this year? Confusing pick. This guy just running out of material er something?
I think it was more of a "I can't believe I never gave it to him when he was here, so here's a chance." In the 90's, he literally named the turkey Herschel but never awarded it to him.

Top Bottom