2022 Transfer Portal

Bayfieldgopher

Reaction score
I looked back at the old thread when Ben was working to build this current squad. There were many who felt that our PG and SG position needs weren't met. This has been verified by what we have seen thus far this season.

What about the various players who were offered or visited? Guys like Michael Jones (Stanford), Josiah Strong (CSU), Ryan Larson (CoC), Sam Sessoms (Coppin St), Nick Honor (Mizzou), Cam Spenser (Rutgers), Isiah Thompson (FGCU), Hunter McIntosh (Nevada), Kerwin Walton (TT), Parker Stewart (UT Martin) and our TRF Thiam (High Point). The guys that have been among the most productive thus far are Cam Spenser (Rutgers) Sessoms (Coppin St.), Nick Honor (Mizzou) and Parker Stewart (UT Martin). Not so much are Walton, Strong and McIntosh (knee). Thiam is doing well at 15pg and 41% from 3 but more TO's than Assts. As we know, stats show very little about D performance.

The "what if's" are behind us but I sure hope that Ben will can bring in better than Cooper and Samuel, especially defenders for 2023.

Of course it’s impossible for us to know exactly who the staff prioritized in the portal, but in all the names mentioned Cooper seemed to be close to the top of the list. Seems like a few of the others dropped off after Cooper committed. I’m not ready to give up on him. He is not quick enough to be a great defender but he is a competent point guard and can shoot. I wish he shot a little more.

Immediate lesson is that success at high majors level is a better predictor of success in the portal than lower major.

Of course it’s impossible for us to know exactly who the staff prioritized in the portal, but in all the names mentioned Cooper seemed to be close to the top of the list. Seems like a few of the others dropped off after Cooper committed. I’m not ready to give up on him. He is not quick enough to be a great defender but he is a competent point guard and can shoot. I wish he shot a little more.

Immediate lesson is that success at high majors level is a better predictor of success in the portal than lower major.
Yep, Cooper needs to shoot more.

A lot of the folks who can’t stand people criticizing Ben also thought us message board losers didn’t know anything when we wanted more guards.

I’ve said it in other threads, if the staff realized we desperately needed more guards and it was a recruiting failure, that’s bad. However, if this roster construction was by design, it’s catastrophically bad.

A lot of the folks who can’t stand people criticizing Ben also thought us message board losers didn’t know anything when we wanted more guards.

I’ve said it in other threads, if the staff realized we desperately needed more guards and it was a recruiting failure, that’s bad. However, if this roster construction was by design, it’s catastrophically bad.
I don't care about transfers until we have a base in place. Good junior & sophomore recruits that we developed.

I don't care about transfers until we have a base in place. Good junior & sophomore recruits that we developed.
Why? So you’d have been fine with this program without battle, Willis, Garcia, etc.? We would have won like 2 games.

I get the feeling you spend a lot of time playing dynasty mode on madden. I don’t mean that as an insult (it’s fun), but that game can get you to forget that the actual games matter. Like we are going to need to start winning basketball games soon.

Honest question, is there a number of wins NEXT season that would be unacceptable to you? If not, how about the following season?

Why? So you’d have been fine with this program without battle, Willis, Garcia, etc.? We would have won like 2 games.

I get the feeling you spend a lot of time playing dynasty mode on madden. I don’t mean that as an insult (it’s fun), but that game can get you to forget that the actual games matter. Like we are going to need to start winning basketball games soon.

Honest question, is there a number of wins NEXT season that would be unacceptable to you? If not, how about the following season?
"GO SUPPORT THE BADGERS YOU TROLL!!!"

Last year our only freshman was Thompson. A Pitino recruit that isn't a cornerstone of our rebuild. So yeah, might as well bring in some transfers.

This year it's different. We have 4 freshmen.

I see they won’t answer your very basic and reasonable question about expectations for wins next year and the following…it’s sad.

I looked back at the old thread when Ben was working to build this current squad. There were many who felt that our PG and SG position needs weren't met. This has been verified by what we have seen thus far this season.

Spot on. At the same time, unless the team is Duke, most teams are not able to fill everything in one season. It takes a few moves.

The transfer portal talk willl surely heat up as portal season arrives.

And you were spot on.

Last edited:

No one is "blaming" Ben, only pointing out TT is a recruit. TT Made an impact in our last two games. Personally I'm glad he chose not to pull his scholarship.
There you go again. You guys keep peeing on my leg and telling me it's raining.

No one is blaming Ben???

So what type of point guard do the Gophers need? Fast? Quick? Athletic? Was Wayne Gretzky fast? Was Larry Bird quick? Was Tom Brady athletic? No. But they knew how to score points... That's what type of point guard the Gophers need.

So what type of point guard do the Gophers need? Fast? Quick? Athletic? Was Wayne Gretzky fast? Was Larry Bird quick? Was Tom Brady athletic? No. But they knew how to score points... That's what type of point guard the Gophers need.
Could Larry Bird defend Isaiah Thomas off the dribble? No. That’s the kind of PG the Gophers need.

You can find guys that can defend anywhere. The Gophers need a volume scorer.

A player with more quicks than Cooper. Guys capable of defending BIG PG's, also capable of dribble drive and then all the possibilities that creates. Cooper has some good qualities but not enough to get the team to the next level.

Ben needs to bring in one or two that fit into his culture. Guys who can make Battle, Garcia, PP, JOJ, etc. and newbies Evans and Christie, etc. better players. They are out there.

Yes.

Here is a video of Wayne Gretzky running a race against Pele, Sugar Ray and Bjorn Bjorg. Why? No reason.

So we need one of the greatest to ever play the sport regardless of speed. Ben needs this type of insight on the staff.

“Could Michael Jordan land a triple axle?? No. But he got buckets bitchessssss”

Running plays, passing, assists, making others around him better, max effort defense, scoring especially driving, coach on the floor.

Running plays, passing, assists, making others around him better, max effort defense, scoring especially driving, coach on the floor.
You listed 8 things, I'd be happy if we added a wing who could do 2-3 of those things.

A player with more quicks than Cooper. Guys capable of defending BIG PG's, also capable of dribble drive and then all the possibilities that creates. Cooper has some good qualities but not enough to get the team to the next level.

Ben needs to bring in one or two that fit into his culture. Guys who can make Battle, Garcia, PP, JOJ, etc. and newbies Evans and Christie, etc. better players. They are out there.
Cooper is fine if you pair him with another guard that can play. Thus far, they don't have it. He'd be a great backup type guy. Or even a good starter paired with another guard who is pretty good.

Right now they have a guy that doesn't see the floor anywhere else in the conference starting and a freshmen who chucks shots early and only makes 20% of them.

I think the guy can play, but he needs help to be effective IMO and isn't getting any.

Top Bottom