2022 Transfer Portal Discussion

I see Tyrese Hunter, the starting guard at IaState is transferring to Texas. Same conference. Tough decision but the Texas NIL was to much to refuse. Can’t blame. Both parents died when he was in Junior High. Been living with relatives, the Catholic Church, and on the streets. needed the money.
What was the amount from the NIL?

Or was it the draw of Chris Beard?

Next to Muss I don't think there is a better TP guy in college BB.

What was the amount from the NIL?

Or was it the draw of Chris Beard?

Next to Muss I don't think there is a better TP guy in college BB.
UT and Arkansas are also way ahead of the curve on NIL money too. Both can be true

UT and Arkansas are also way ahead of the curve on NIL money too. Both can be true
Maybe so, but before the NIL stuff came to pass these to guys were head and shoulders better than anyone else using the portal.

Malachi Smith moves from Chattanooga to Gonzaga. Good offensive numbers last couple seasons for the Moc's. Averaged almost 20 points, over 6 rebounds, 3 assists last year. Nice addition.

Last edited:

Yesterday, I believe, Jacob Grandison of Illinois entered the portal. Started 23 games for them averaging a little over 9 pts,
Roster management goes both ways. A good player who was clearly recruited over in the transfer portal. Someone will get a pretty good player. Not a lot of guys want to be "depth" even on good teams like Illinois.

Duke reels in another nerd, their third.
Max Johns from Princeton joins Kale Catchings of Harvard and Ryan Young of Northwestern on the Blue Devil roster.
We all know life is about decisions...take the Gophers and Minnesota out of your thoughts....say you live someplace else. If you coached a kid, or if you were a parent and you weren't sure ...did some research after your kid gets an offer from Duke....you better have an offer from Stanford and not think you wanna play basketball after college to tell Duke, NO. Turning down Duke would be a life decision you may never recover from.
I do believe going to Duke would be transformational...change your life to insure you will be successful in it if you apply yourself and network. They are recruiting better without Coach K on the bench. They gotta be high on a pedestal as number one when it comes to college basketball?

We all know life is about decisions...take the Gophers and Minnesota out of your thoughts....say you live someplace else. If you coached a kid, or if you were a parent and you weren't sure ...did some research after your kid gets an offer from Duke....you better have an offer from Stanford and not think you wanna play basketball after college to tell Duke, NO. Turning down Duke would be a life decision you may never recover from.
I do believe going to Duke would be transformational...change your life to insure you will be successful in it if you apply yourself and network. They are recruiting better without Coach K on the bench. They gotta be high on a pedestal as number one when it comes to college basketball?
Duke hasn't won a national championship in seven years. Let's let Scheyer coach a game before we put them on a pedestal......

Duke hasn't won a national championship in seven years. Let's let Scheyer coach a game before we put them on a pedestal......

Well, not counting 2020 when the tournament was cancelled, there are 6 teams who have won a national championship in the last 7 years: Kansas, Villanova, North Carolina, Duke, Virginia, and Baylor. Kansas, Villanova, UNC, and Duke have been perennial contenders this century and, in some cases, even before this century. Baylor has been a top 5 AP poll team for three years. Virginia finished top 6 in the AP for five of the last nine years. That's pretty elite company. Of course, Duke also has won 5 championships which very few programs can say.

Duke has been so good for so long that its reputation is unlikely to suffer too much even with the retirement of a Hall of Fame coach.

It's duke .. they are on the pedestal no matter what ..
Yeah, they have more than earned their spot as one of the blue bloods of college basketball. Will be interesting to see if the retirement of Coach K has any real impact on their standing in the next few years.

Well, not counting 2020 when the tournament was cancelled, there are 6 teams who have won a national championship in the last 7 years: Kansas, Villanova, North Carolina, Duke, Virginia, and Baylor. Kansas, Villanova, UNC, and Duke have been perennial contenders this century and, in some cases, even before this century. Baylor has been a top 5 AP poll team for three years. Virginia finished top 6 in the AP for five of the last nine years. That's pretty elite company. Of course, Duke also has won 5 championships which very few programs can say.

Duke has been so good for so long that its reputation is unlikely to suffer too much even with the retirement of a Hall of Fame coach.
Gene Bartow, Bill Guthridge, Kevin O'Neill, Mike Davis all followed legends at blue bloods and stumbled. Kevin Ollie and Tubby Smith had some initial glory, but before too long they were awash either in scandal or unrelenting pressure.

The only sustained successes I can think of who immediately followed a legend are Bill Self and Joe B. Hall (you could throw Matt Painter into the mix, depending upon your thoughts on Gene Keady). You can go down the list-Mike White, Brian Mahoney, John MacLeod, Craig Esherick, Bob Wade, Steve Lappas, Stan Heath--pretty forgettable list of successors for other legends and near legends.

Scheyer might be able to ride that Duke brand to create his singular reputation but history is not on his side.

Gene Bartow, Bill Guthridge, Kevin O'Neill, Mike Davis all followed legends at blue bloods and stumbled. Kevin Ollie and Tubby Smith had some initial glory, but before too long they were awash either in scandal or unrelenting pressure.

The only sustained successes I can think of who immediately followed a legend are Bill Self and Joe B. Hall (you could throw Matt Painter into the mix, depending upon your thoughts on Gene Keady). You can go down the list-Mike White, Brian Mahoney, John MacLeod, Craig Esherick, Bob Wade, Steve Lappas, Stan Heath--pretty forgettable list of successors for other legends and near legends.

Scheyer might be able to ride that Duke brand to create his singular reputation but history is not on his side.

As someone once told me here, Gopher Hole is where subtlety goes to die.

Don't be ridiculous. I didn't say that Scheyer would equal Coach K. I said that Duke would remain an elite program for the time being. An elite team isn't one that wins a string of championships. Nobody does that anymore.

Let's go through some of your examples. Gene Bartow did just fine at UCLA by today's standards. He actually had a better overall winning percentage there than Wooden. Undoubtedly UCLA fans weren't satisfied and wanted another string of championships like they got with Wooden. I guess they didn't realize that there aren't any more John Woodens.

Joe B. Hall did very well at Kentucky. Had lots of good years, won a championship, and KY was an elite team throughout his tenure. Tubby did well at KY too, not quite as well as Hall but pretty good.

You're actually saying Bill Self diminished Kansas' reputation? He's never missed an NCAA tournament except for the year they didn't have one and has 10 30+ win season in his 19 year tenure there.

I don't know what's going on with Indiana. Obviously they still want to be an elite team given that they fired Miller and paid him a big severance. They still attract elite talent. At least they're still trying because they have that mind frame. They wouldn't keep someone like Pitino around for 8 years.

If Scheyer stumbles at Duke I suspect he won't be around long because Duke is unlikely to be willing to throw away what they've spent 40 years building. Scheyer likely will still be able to recruit much better players than we ever will.

Ben chose NW!

And this is why I wanted more depth from the portal and less worry about hurting feelings if they didnt play the entire game.

I dont know what MN sports ever did but we need to figure it out because we are now on 30+ years of nothing but disaster in everything!

And this is why I wanted more depth from the portal and less worry about hurting feelings if they didnt play the entire game.

I dont know what MN sports ever did but we need to figure it out because we are now on 30+ years of nothing but disaster in everything!
Literally our deepest spot on the team. Not the right injury to play the depth card. The two final schollies wouldn’t have included a player from the front court. This really just opens up playing time for Payne and Thompson.

Literally our deepest spot on the team. Not the right injury to play the depth card. The two final schollies wouldn’t have included a player from the front court. This really just opens up playing time for Payne and Thompson.
Another guard means Battle/Ihnen can play more at the 4 etc. though. Deliberately leaving 2 scholarships open was always a very questionable call.

Another guard means Battle/Ihnen can play more at the 4 etc. though. Deliberately leaving 2 scholarships open was always a very questionable call.
Again argue that all you want. Staff stopped for a reason. They must be comfortable with what they have and they’ve seen the guys play more than us most likely.

As far as our front court Garcia is taking 30-35 mins. That only leaves 45 mins for Payne, Ihnen, and Thompson. That’s not counting Battle or Joseph. It’s sucks losing Fox’s toughness, experience and energy, but this was and still is our deepest part of the team. Filling our scholarships wouldn’t have resulted in finding someone to fill his spot.

Again argue that all you want. Staff stopped for a reason. They must be comfortable with what they have and they’ve seen the guys play more than us most likely.

As far as our front court Garcia is taking 30-35 mins. That only leaves 45 mins for Payne, Ihnen, and Thompson. That’s not counting Battle or Joseph. It’s sucks losing Fox’s toughness, experience and energy, but this was and still is our deepest part of the team. Filling our scholarships wouldn’t have resulted in finding someone to fill his spot.
You assume this is the last major injury we will suffer.

You assume this is the last major injury we will suffer.
No I don’t assume that and neither does any competent coach, but what teams make it through and have more than two major injuries? I get the point, but in todays game kids want to play. It’s not easy to full cause kids don’t want to do it. Otherwise every coach would fill them instead of the trend we have. We lucked out considering it’s the area we are the most deep in. If this was Cooper or Battle we’d be having a different level of panic.

No I don’t assume that and neither does any competent coach, but what teams make it through and have more than two major injuries? I get the point, but in todays game kids want to play. It’s not easy to full cause kids don’t want to do it. Otherwise every coach would fill them instead of the trend we have. We lucked out considering it’s the area we are the most deep in. If this was Cooper or Battle we’d be having a different level of panic.
Garcia hasn't won his battle with the NCAA Wheel of Random Decisions yet either....

Garcia hasn't won his battle with the NCAA Wheel of Random Decisions yet either....
It’s not random. We didn’t get eligibility for Carr and that was on Pitt and their dumb AD not approving it. The rest we’ve pretty gotten the blanket yes like the other 90% of transfers who apply and receive their waiver.
Garcias situation is what the waiver was made for and they’ve given them even more liberally since covid

Houston lost their best 2 players, went to the final 4 last year. Baylor lost Cryer/JTT half way through, still had a great year. St Louis lost Perkins and had a few other injuries, made the final of the conf tourney and were still relevant. And before you reply "Well they are better programs than we are its not fair to Ben!" Thats the coaches job!! He is here to sell the program, sell the players on wanting to be here and sacrificing for the team. If our only card to play is "well look we had no one else so we let Peyton Willis shoot whenever he wanted, you can be that guy!" we arent going anywhere.

And its not about getting a direct player who would play 0 min but could step in and give us 100% of Fox or anyones production, its about not being totally stuck when they are out. Not having to play 5 guys in a conf tourney because you look and no one can function off the bench. I agree with the concept we have our best depth at PF/C but now we are counting on TT who looked like a fish out of water last year and a freshman. And sure you can play JB and DG 35 min each in a game, but if they do that all year you see what happens, they are dog tired in March and we lose to Nebraska/PSU.

If this is worst case scenario I also think we need to be on the line with anyone left in the portal as we just had a big role open up.

Top Bottom