2022 Transfer Portal Discussion

This has kind of been one of my issues with not using all 13 scholarships, and maybe Ben is planning for this as well. Maybe come June he will have some more power to say well hey we like you, but time might be questionable, so if a free education is worth that cool, if not then we can survive without you. I have to think there is some 6'11 250lb guy out there who could bang around with big guys looking for a free ride for 1 year.

As far as "well since this is happening and guys are losing spots it wont be as crazy next few years" I think that is 100% untrue. These kids are the best of the best, they almost unanimously think they are 1 move away from the NBA or being the star on a team. And its not like their inner circle is going to be honest with them. Hey that guy didnt find a spot, you are way better, you put up 25 a game in high school, you will find you spot to be a star! I don't think there is a lot of common sense talks with many of these kids. And with the ability to leave every year and basically get a free transfer every year they know they can just hop from place to place with little to no repercussions.
Don’t think that’s how it works, they get to move once then they need a waiver for some reason after that.

You sayin diffident Ben is sittin around waitin for kids to call him?
Oh no, not at all. I think some else mentioned it a few posts ago, once the kids that are in the draft say I'm coming back then there will be a lot of movement all over the board. And I think at that time if there is someone who peaks the Gophers interest then you go and get him. I said it awhile ago, a team can never be to deep.

Big hit to Michigan St today. Christy is staying in the draft. Somewhat of a surprise. Probably would've been their leading scorer next year. They'll have to dip in the transfer portal now for sure.

Do you think we'd take Thiam if he wanted to come back?
As the 12th/13th man why not? Can't imagine that's what he wants though as I'm sure it was made clear that would be his starting point this season, and that's why he entered the portal

Don’t think that’s how it works, they get to move once then they need a waiver for some reason after that.

Yes, but they could hand out those waivers very liberally if they decided to do that. Strictly speaking, I don't think the stated rules allowed for the free-for-all transferring that occurred last season but they just seemed to waive everyone through because it would have caused an absolute mess if they didn't.

I'm surprised at the number of players who have entered the portal this season who have had at least one transfer already with no sit-out requirement. I think the circumstances of Dawson Garcia (for example, leaving his team in mid-season to return home for family matters) bodes well for a legit waiver but I'm not sure what many of these other players are banking on.

Yes, but they could hand out those waivers very liberally if they decided to do that. Strictly speaking, I don't think the stated rules allowed for the free-for-all transferring that occurred last season but they just seemed to waive everyone through because it would have caused an absolute mess if they didn't.

I'm surprised at the number of players who have entered the portal this season who have had at least one transfer already with no sit-out requirement. I think the circumstances of Dawson Garcia (for example, leaving his team in mid-season to return home for family matters) bodes well for a legit waiver but I'm not sure what many of these other players are banking on.
and as always, do not underestimate the power of the NCAA "Wheel of random decisions"

I said it awhile ago, a team can never be to deep.

Well, I agree with that but it doesn't appear that everyone does including perhaps one or more of the actual decision makers on that issue.

Michael Jones has committed to Stanford.

One time Minnesota recruiting target Grant Sherfield has committed to Oklahoma. A guy who has averaged nearly 19 points on over 14 shots a game definitely seems like he would have been up Pitino's alley.

One time Minnesota recruiting target Grant Sherfield has committed to Oklahoma. A guy who has averaged nearly 19 points on over 14 shots a game definitely seems like he would have been up Pitino's alley.

That was pretty similar to Battle's line last season. Sherfield is a really good pick up for Oklahoma.

That was pretty similar to Battle's line last season. Sherfield is a really good pick up for Oklahoma.
He's going to have to learn to play more efficiently, but he's skilled. Will be interesting to see how he fits in Mosher's offense.

He's going to have to learn to play more efficiently, but he's skilled. Will be interesting to see how he fits in Mosher's offense.

His PER was 19.5, that's very efficient, and would have been 2nd only behind Willis on the Gophers last season. Would have been 2nd behind Tanner Groves on Oklahoma as well. Sherfield also averaged 6.4 assists per game. He's a really good player.

Last edited:

His PER was 19.5, that's very efficient, and would have been 2nd only behind Willis on the Gophers last season. Would have been 2nd behind Tanner Groves on Oklahoma as well. Sherfield also averaged 6.4 assists per game. He's a really good player.
Never said he was bad. He was very high usage and did well in the MW. Defenses in the big 12 will be better. He will just need to dial down some of the shots he took at Nevada. That’s true for probably any player moving up a conference

Michael Jones has committed to Stanford.

IIRC he wanted to come here from Sunrise out of HS, but his parents, who had moved to watch him play at Sunrise didn’t want him to leave Okie, so they wouldn’t sign his letter of intent and subsequently he went to Wichita State.

IIRC he wanted to come here from Sunrise out of HS, but his parents, who had moved to watch him play at Sunrise didn’t want him to leave Okie, so they wouldn’t sign his letter of intent and subsequently he went to Wichita State.
You have more details than I recall. My memory is that most of us thought he was close to a lock after being here for tournament clinch game against Purdue and the Linstsad connection. Delayed decision had him staying in Wichita. Never heard parents were that heavy handed.

You have more details than I recall. My memory is that most of us thought he was close to a lock after being here for tournament clinch game against Purdue and the Linstsad connection. Delayed decision had him staying in Wichita. Never heard parents were that heavy handed.

No first hand knowledge- from another fan forum. AJ Barker’s mom’s bestie = that source?

I see Tyrese Hunter, the starting guard at IaState is transferring to Texas. Same conference. Tough decision but the Texas NIL was to much to refuse. Can’t blame. Both parents died when he was in Junior High. Been living with relatives, the Catholic Church, and on the streets. needed the money.

Top Bottom