2022 Transfer Portal Discussion

Maybe, but high majors come in late on players all of the time if they are interested. And I don't have an issue with Ben recruiting Henley at all. I can see why he has upside in the same way that people think Ihnen has upside.

My only problem is relying on Henley to bring the ball up at times and guard B1G guards as a 6'8" true freshman who I believe is a project. I think that's a big mistake.
I get where you are coming from, always tough to trust true freshman. That said I do think there is a distinction between relying on a guy like Henley to run the point and trying to give him some reps there when the situation allows. Those are very different scenarios.

You can't "bullshit" about your opinion or expectation. Nowhere did I state that I knew anything about these players. As far as what Fox does, we'll see. Immediately after his soph season, Isaiah Washington said he was staying. I never believed that for a minute.
You can't compare Fox and Washington.....pretty clear Fox loves being a Gopher, representing his home state. Washington was from New York, was clearly disgruntled sitting on the bench and was not living up to expectations. Apples and oranges.

You can't compare Fox and Washington.....pretty clear Fox loves being a Gopher, representing his home state. Washington was from New York, was clearly disgruntled sitting on the bench and was not living up to expectations. Apples and oranges.
Isiah Washington was Pitino’s biggest recruiting mistake. I think McKinley Wright would have committed to the UMN if Pitino had recruited him hard. IWash was all wrapped up in the “personal brand jelly roll” idea before he ever accomplished anything. When he did get his chance he didn’t deliver.

I'm not comparing the two but Washington was just an example of someone who said one thing but ended up doing another. Also, as I recall, Fox may have said his plan was to play two years but that was before he was injured and lost one of those years. If he comes back after next season that will be his 7th year in college. I'd say his chances of changing his mind about that are pretty good.

Look, what people may say about their intentions is subject to change. A little over 2 million people in the USA swear "for richer, for poorer, until death do us part" each year but a substantial percentage later change their minds.

I'm not comparing the two but Washington was just an example of someone who said one thing but ended up doing another. Also, as I recall, Fox may have said his plan was to play two years but that was before he was injured and lost one of those years. If he comes back after next season that will be his 7th year in college. I'd say his chances of changing his mind about that are pretty good.

Look, what people may say about their intentions is subject to change. A little over 2 million people in the USA swear "for richer, for poorer, until death do us part" each year but a substantial percentage later change their minds.
To be fair to Isiah, someone shoved a mic in his face five minutes after a season ending loss when he said that, I don't think it's reasonable to expect to say deuces to the team in that scenario, but the way his minutes were treated it was pretty obvious he was gone at about mid season, think it was one of those things where the coaches agreed to help him land somewhere if he played the good soldier and wasn't a distraction, they did the same thing with Gilbert his last year as well.

Maybe, but high majors come in late on players all of the time if they are interested. And I don't have an issue with Ben recruiting Henley at all. I can see why he has upside in the same way that people think Ihnen has upside.

My only problem is relying on Henley to bring the ball up at times and guard B1G guards as a 6'8" true freshman who I believe is a project. I think that's a big mistake.
So that's it, set in stone. Ben has made the decision that it will be Henley who brings the ball up the floor and guard the other team's point guard. Astounding.

Now we await Ben's announcement he is playing Cooper at 5 and Samuels at power forward. Battle and Garcia slated for fill in minutes off the bench.

So that's it, set in stone. Ben has made the decision that it will be Henley who brings the ball up the floor and guard the other team's point guard. Astounding.

Now we await Ben's announcement he is playing Cooper at 5 and Samuels at power forward. Battle and Garcia slated for fill in minutes off the bench.

I never said any of that, stop making things up

I wonder does Ben have any Assistant coaching jobs open? We certainly have some GHERS available as they have positions already predetermined as well as minutes of play.
Maybe he can take the money he saves on our salaries and figure out a way to legally divert it to NIL account. 😂 I know I would come cheap.

There sure are lots and lots of quality players still out there looking for new homes, GEEZ!!!

There are still so many players in the portal. Seems like they are playing musical chairs having given up their scholarships and will be left without one. Since we have 2 more scholarships, there might be someone who would come give us solid depth just to get a scholarship. We wouldn't have to promise them a minute of playing time. I feel bad for those foolish young men who will be caught holding an empty bag...

You wonder if this is when the coaches start to flex a bit. They can go after role players without promising them the world. Along the lines of, "We need a guy who will bust it at practice every day. Minutes will be hard to come by, but you'll get some if you earn them."

You wonder if this is when the coaches start to flex a bit. They can go after role players without promising them the world. Along the lines of, "We need a guy who will bust it at practice every day. Minutes will be hard to come by, but you'll get some if you earn them."
Coaches do this for sure, players have to be receptive to the role. Doogie had a nice interview with Samuels and he talked about being willing to play any role. That's why Ogele, Daniels, and Sutherlin came here too. Sutherlin was the one who worked out from a basketball standpoint, but the others were good teammates as well. It's a more delicate balance than some want it to be.

There are still so many players in the portal. Seems like they are playing musical chairs having given up their scholarships and will be left without one. Since we have 2 more scholarships, there might be someone who would come give us solid depth just to get a scholarship. We wouldn't have to promise them a minute of playing time. I feel bad for those foolish young men who will be caught holding an empty bag...
Guessing we are in a bit of a holding pattern now until June 1st when the underclassmen who declared for the draft have to remove their name from consideration.

Will probably be a flurry of activity after that again and then whoever is left over may find themselves without a team or be forced to go walkon somewhere.

Yes, I do wonder if this year's portal experience will lead many to think twice before entering next offseason. A large amount of untested freshmen entered the portal this year. Unless you were a pretty well ranked player coming from the prep ranks or showed discernible potential as a freshman, transferring after your freshman year is pretty risky. Teams face less risk in taking a player with only one or two years of eligibility remaining.

Yes, I do wonder if this year's portal experience will lead many to think twice before entering next offseason. A large amount of untested freshmen entered the portal this year. Unless you were a pretty well ranked player coming from the prep ranks or showed discernible potential as a freshman, transferring after your freshman year is pretty risky. Teams face less risk in taking a player with only one or two years of eligibility remaining.
To be honest this has been happening in the portal for the last couple years. I think the thing that will help the portal numbers plateau and drop will be when all these older players with the extra covid year are gone.

This has kind of been one of my issues with not using all 13 scholarships, and maybe Ben is planning for this as well. Maybe come June he will have some more power to say well hey we like you, but time might be questionable, so if a free education is worth that cool, if not then we can survive without you. I have to think there is some 6'11 250lb guy out there who could bang around with big guys looking for a free ride for 1 year.

As far as "well since this is happening and guys are losing spots it wont be as crazy next few years" I think that is 100% untrue. These kids are the best of the best, they almost unanimously think they are 1 move away from the NBA or being the star on a team. And its not like their inner circle is going to be honest with them. Hey that guy didnt find a spot, you are way better, you put up 25 a game in high school, you will find you spot to be a star! I don't think there is a lot of common sense talks with many of these kids. And with the ability to leave every year and basically get a free transfer every year they know they can just hop from place to place with little to no repercussions.

Woah woah woah, we really are surprised 18-22 year olds don’t have the best decision making skills and are impressionable? It’s easy from where we sit to judge them, but many see it as their one shot. They’ve also been victimized by adults who promise them and provided the instant gratification. It sucks some will lose opportunities, but it’s also how we learn

Top Bottom