2022 Gopher related Draft Speculation

CurveballJesus

Reaction score
Big Dan comes in at #36 for Dane Brugler's Top 50 at The Athletic

36. Daniel Faalele, OT, Minnesota (6-8, 379)
An Australian native, Faalele is a rare player due to his gargantuan size, brute strength and balanced movements. He has only three seasons of football experience and it shows on tape. But he has coordinated footwork and movements for a player with his imposing size and strength. If his technique and awareness continue to improve, he will start for a long time in the NFL.

Would have been drafted last year even though he didn’t play a snap just based on size and athleticism. Big chance to boost his draft stock this year though.

Would have been drafted last year even though he didn’t play a snap just based on size and athleticism. Big chance to boost his draft stock this year though.
Not sure I agree about last year. Teams would've told him that, and he would've gone out. There is no question about his size and strength. The question is if he has the footwork/quickness to survive at the NFL level. This year will go a huge ways towards answering those doubts, and I think he gets it done!

Not sure I agree about last year. Teams would've told him that, and he would've gone out. There is no question about his size and strength. The question is if he has the footwork/quickness to survive at the NFL level. This year will go a huge ways towards answering those doubts, and I think he gets it done!
All hypothetical obviously, but I bet a team would have least grabbed him as a 5th round gamble. Some draft sites had him projected as a 3rd round pick when they were unsure if he would declare or not. Regardless, he can make a lot of money this year. Big difference in pay between 1st/2nd round picks and mid round picks. A decent amount of guys play another year to potentially earn a couple million more on the rookie contract.

All hypothetical obviously, but I bet a team would have least grabbed him as a 5th round gamble. Some draft sites had him projected as a 3rd round pick when they were unsure if he would declare or not. Regardless, he can make a lot of money this year. Big difference in pay between 1st/2nd round picks and mid round picks. A decent amount of guys play another year to potentially earn a couple million more on the rookie contract.
Fair point. Maybe teams told him he would be a late round pick, and he weighed his options and decided a solid year in the Big Ten to get up into the 2nd round was worth the risk.

Big Dan seems like a perfect 2nd/3rd round pick. Now in the NFL, if you're a first round pick, you're often assumed to be starting or at least playing a significant number of snaps. Teams are more willing to roll the dice a bit on a 2nd round guy and let him "sit" for a year. If he plays great this year, it wouldn't shock me if he played himself into a late first rounder, however (especially to a more established team where they don't have a massive hole at one of the tackle spots).

Regardless of his draft position, NFL teams would want him to play an extra year after sitting out last season. He is getting an extra year of experience and he has excellent coaching on fundamentals. You can't teach being big, but you sure can teach strength and agility moves. It's money in the bank for NFL teams.

Can't miss a big Kahuna in a small pond.

I think scouts will be paying close attention to what shakes at the Bank.

Fa'alele will draw attention to his team mates.

Top Bottom