2022 Early-Enrolled Recruits

I have mixed feelings on high school recruits doing this. Obviously it speeds up their development and chances of playing as soon as possible, to get that extra spring ball in before their first fall.

But that last semester of high school can be a really fun and memorable time, that they're missing out on? Could be basketball, wrestling, hockey. Springs sports too, track, baseball, lacrosse. Prom. And so on.

And i bet he’s quite a bit heavier then 255lbs. otherwise him enrolling early don’t make sense.
That's just from his 247 recruiting profile, who knows when that number is from.

Granted, a great way to put on good weight for a bulking lineman in college, is to get on the college's training table and strength program as soon as possible!

We have a bunch of diamonds in the rough there. Highest rated guy is Zach at 637. The majority aren’t top 1000. Shouldn’t we be able to recruit a couple Top 400 guys at least?
If you take the top 50 college football teams and gave them each 10 guys…that’s 500 guys accounted for. Of the early enrollees we got none? Almost doesn’t seem possible to be the case?
I know we have two guys in the 300’s come the summer but then Zach is next highest, the third highest rated top 1000 guy we have at 637-9 depending on the list.
Indiana for instance has 9 guys in the Top 517.

Alvarez listed as OT.
My guess is they will try to beef him up to 3 bills during his likely redshirt year.

Of course, they enroll during the coldest fricking week we will have this winter. Hope the south of the Mason-Dixon line guys have figured out the skyway/tunnel system. It's too bad Kaplan Brothers on Franklin is no longer in business. They could have stopped down and gotten a substantial puffer jacket for about $10 (like I did in the early-1970s).

We have a bunch of diamonds in the rough there. Highest rated guy is Zach at 637. The majority aren’t top 1000. Shouldn’t we be able to recruit a couple Top 400 guys at least?
If you take the top 50 college football teams and gave them each 10 guys…that’s 500 guys accounted for. Of the early enrollees we got none? Almost doesn’t seem possible to be the case?
I know we have two guys in the 300’s come the summer but then Zach is next highest, the third highest rated top 1000 guy we have at 637-9 depending on the list.
Well there were only 2 top 400 players in Minnesota.

The top 10 recruiting classes end up with about half of those top 400 guys. 10-20 ranked classes probably get about 100 of them, then that leaves probably less than 100 for the classes ranked outside the top 20.

I have mixed feelings on high school recruits doing this. Obviously it speeds up their development and chances of playing as soon as possible, to get that extra spring ball in before their first fall.

But that last semester of high school can be a really fun and memorable time, that they're missing out on? Could be basketball, wrestling, hockey. Springs sports too, track, baseball, lacrosse. Prom. And so on.
I'd agree if this were like 2010—but in the Covid/virtual learning world, it's probably more appealing to get your football career cookin'

That's just from his 247 recruiting profile, who knows when that number is from.

Granted, a great way to put on good weight for a bulking lineman in college, is to get on the college's training table and strength program as soon as possible!
Or beer and pizza.

The top 10 recruiting classes end up with about half of those top 400 guys. 10-20 ranked classes probably get about 100 of them, then that leaves probably less than 100 for the classes ranked outside the top 20.
Of which we have 2. Are we just “begging” to fill out scholarships? Might be best to just hit the portal. Would seem like we could do better.

I agree with this. Players have a redshirt year to get stronger, learn the system, and get acquainted with the classroom. If they get hurt, you have the medical exempt year.

Of which we have 2. Are we just “begging” to fill out scholarships? Might be best to just hit the portal. Would seem like we could do better.
Which isn’t bad considering there is like 100 or so teams outside the top 20.

They aren’t forced to enroll early as far as I know.

They aren’t forced to enroll early as far as I know.
Right, I'm sure it's their choice to do so, with the coach's blessing.

I do believe they ask everyone to enroll for the summer semester and be on campus by then.

I was just assuming early enrollees are potentially early contributors… There i go assuming i guess.
Early enrollee means they are done with High School and ready for the next step.

On GopherSports, it looks like jersey numbers have been updated for the newcomers.

Spencer Alvarez is #83 and listed as TE (247 had him listed as OT—I'd guess he will grow into one).

Do we have some future 5th-year seniors with grad degrees paid for?

Top Bottom