2022 College Town Tiers (Tier 5: Minnesota)

I assume there's no metrics here. Just pull it out of BGB's ass?
does this guy have any other method?

Los Angeles, Miami, Minneapolis, Seattle, Chicago, Atlanta, Boston, Pittsburgh, SF Bay Area schools all tier 4 or lower. The anti-urban bias here is strong.

I doubt Athens Ohio or Georgia is more exciting or educational than any of those places.

Not going to look for it, but I'm pretty sure this was stolen from the reddit /r/cfb subreddit

I do agree that smaller towns make for better college towns. However I grew up in Northfield so I'm a little biased.

Madison is up to 680,000 people. Not sure if it's really a "town" anymore.

Indiana Tier 1? Things must have changed in 30 some years.

Two things,
1) Everyone talked about how Madison is the 'best' college town, yadda yadda... went there a few years ago and was utterly disappointed... They have as much crime on campus as the U does.
2) It puzzles me even more how Iowa City always gets an 'honorable mention' when it reminded me a lot of St Cloud State..

Buffalo being on the bottom tier, must not like wings very much.

I do agree that smaller towns make for better college towns. However I grew up in Northfield so I'm a little biased.

Not me. I grew up on a dirt road and wanted nothing to do with going to college in a small town. In a city you get Big Ten campus life, plus urban opportunities, activities, and adventures.

In a lot of the "best college towns" if you aren't going to a class, a game, or a bar...welp, that's it.

I'll fully agree that the U has just an okay campus and party scene within its boundaries. But any rating of the campus has to consider its placement next to downtown Minneapolis.

Columbia, MO, to me is a true college town (more so than Madison). Could argue Columbia could be tier 1.

I would say that any town/city that is a state capital cannot also be a "tier 1" college town

I disagree. I think the more amenities a college town has, the fuller the experience. New York City is a better college town than Lincoln, NE (costs aside).

There's also some small state capital cities with big universities. But according to the anti-urbanist philosophy of the original list, Madison has to drop at least to Tier 4.

Top Bottom