2022 Best BBQ Restaurant In Every College Town (Minnesota: Beast BBQ)

Tech over UT makes sense to me.

However, Tech over A&M? Nope. If you've lived in Texas, it doesn't take long to realize that A&M is like a cult.
Well isn't it one of six "Senior" military colleges in the country? Or something like that.

We use words like Honor. Code. Loyalty! We use these as the backbone of a life spend defending something!!

Well isn't it one of six "Senior" military colleges in the country? Or something like that.

We use words like Honor. Code. Loyalty! We use these as the backbone of a life spend defending something!!
Beast bbq used to be Legends bar.

Haven't been to Beast yet. Ted Cook's is my go-to for BBQ

I remember going to Ted Cook’s back in the 80’s when I lived in south Mpls. It’s awesome that they are still open.

Clearly has not been to Handsome Hog in StP. Fabulous.

I went to a wedding in Austin once that was all Oklahoma grads and they were all raving about this new bbq joint that opened up called Famous Dave's. Maybe that explains their ex-coach's brisket. Ever since then I took the BBQ elitism of southerners and claims that there's no good BBQ in MN a lot less seriously. For my money Q Fanatic in South MPLS is great.

Arthur Bryant's and Jack Stack are top notch.
Jack Stack, yeah. I was pretty underwhelmed by Arthur’s. My favorite KC joint remains to be the OG gas station Oklahoma Joe’s (now rebranded as Joe’s of Kansas City).

The best brisket I’ve had came from Snow’s BBQ. Yeah I said it. It was better than Franklin’s in Austin.

Jack Stack, yeah. I was pretty underwhelmed by Arthur’s. My favorite KC joint remains to be the OG gas station Oklahoma Joe’s (now rebranded as Joe’s of Kansas City).

The best brisket I’ve had came from Snow’s BBQ. Yeah I said it. It was better than Franklin’s in Austin.
I agree on preferring Jack Stack over Arthur Bryant's but it is a legendary place. Went to a place in North KC by a local, tiny hole in the wall place but the line at lunch was out the door and down the sidewalk. Great BBQ...wish I could remember the name.

What kind of smoker are you using? I use the green egg and use lump charcoal + various types of wood chips depending on the type of meat I’m smoking.

I agree on preferring Jack Stack over Arthur Bryant's but it is a legendary place. Went to a place in North KC by a local, tiny hole in the wall place but the line at lunch was out the door and down the sidewalk. Great BBQ...wish I could remember the name.
It's okay...nobody goes there anymore...it's too busy. Yogi Berra inspired.

I just had Joe's in KC in April. Thought it was good but was not wowed.

Lump charcoal, mesquite chunks?, hickory chunks?, mix, or other?
Pecan wood is easy to get down here so that is usually the anchor, I prefer hickory to mesquite to complement the pecan. A little apple or cherry chunk is nice too. If you just rub a brisket with quality salt and pepper and then let that wood do its magic you will get a nice brisket almost every time. My mouth is starting to salivate just thinking about it.

I've had Franklin's many times because every time someone comes to visit (family, friends, or business), people want to try it. It is VERY good and probably the best brisket in Austin (that I've had) but I think it's really close and not worth the hassle. Without pre-ordering/pickup, people will wait 5 hours in line. It's good and I think arguments that it's the best have merit, but it isn't so much better than the rest (IMO).

That said, I agree with your take on Joe's and Snow's. I preferred Snow's to Franklin's but my wife and her dad preferred Franklin's.

I've had Franklin's many times because every time someone comes to visit (family, friends, or business), people want to try it. It is VERY good and probably the best brisket in Austin (that I've had) but I think it's really close and not worth the hassle. Without pre-ordering/pickup, people will wait 5 hours in line. It's good and I think arguments that it's the best have merit, but it isn't so much better than the rest (IMO).

That said, I agree with your take on Joe's and Snow's. I preferred Snow's to Franklin's but my wife and her dad preferred Franklin's.

Louie Mueller's BBQ up the road a bit in Taylor, TX. Recommended by several native Central Texans I know. Still a small town feel without the Austin crowd hassle. The brisket is great, but the St. Louis style ribs are the best I've ever had (I'm a huge rib fan).

Pecan wood is easy to get down here so that is usually the anchor, I prefer hickory to mesquite to complement the pecan. A little apple or cherry chunk is nice too. If you just rub a brisket with quality salt and pepper and then let that wood do its magic you will get a nice brisket almost every time. My mouth is starting to salivate just thinking about it.
Thanks HoustonTXGopher! It's nice to learn from someone who knows how it's done. I miss my smoker, but since I don't see myself going back to babysitting a smoker all night, I dream of a Trager grill.

((Dreaming of that lovely pink smoke ring around the edge of beef brisket slices...))

Do you do a "low and slow" or "fast and hot"? I recently got a Gateway drum smoker but am still working on nailing down my preferred method. I've made ribs for a long time but relatively new to full packer cuts of brisket.

Did you ever make it to Big Daddy's when he was in the Union Depot and they had that Sunday brunch? It was fantastic. I feel for the guy, it was opened about 10 years too soon (before lowertown took off).

My favorites in the cites are Animales and Ted Cook's.
I did not make it to Union Depot during that era. I knew his ex-wife from both work and church. He used to cook for the church at the annual summer outing in addition to some random events. When he opened up a restaurant on University I tried that a few times.

Regarding Ted Cooks, I love stopping there! Reminds me of Lee and Dee's (St. Paul. Still open?) but IMHO better. Never had Animales, so I will have to try that.

Love Big Game Boomer, big fan. He’s been coming up with wild n crazy lists since the beginning. However, with this list, he may be off his rocker. iowa st over iowa? Lol. Tceh over t.u.? Lmao. UCF over UF? ROFL. Georgia State over UGA? WTF @GSUsTALON?
On ISU over Iowa.

They were filling Jack Trice Stadium despite some crappy teams pre-Campbell. The base might be smaller than Iowa, but don't question their loyalty.

I also don’t want to come across as some sort of BBQ elitist. I generally consider BBQ to be a great meal or an out of this world meal. For example, I think Arthur’s was still very good, but it did not live up to the expectations that I had in my mind.

There was only one time where I couldn’t finish my BBQ dinner because it was not so great. It certainly could have been an off day, new smoker, new chef, or whatever. And that is what I chalk it up to since I was only traveling through the town.

I think chain BBQ offerings like Famous Dave’s St. Louis style ribs are excellent as well as Rudy’s brisket. Dissenters, go ahead and at me.

Do you do a "low and slow" or "fast and hot"? I recently got a Gateway drum smoker but am still working on nailing down my preferred method. I've made ribs for a long time but relatively new to full packer cuts of brisket.
Really will have better luck with a low and slow with a big brisket. I think 225 is pretty ideal, however, I have gotten my heat up as high as 275 for a bit and it worked out fine. My best out comes have been to wrap the brisket in butcher paper of foil about two thirds through your cook. When its done, throw it wrapped in a cooler where it can create some steam which will make the meat extremely tender and moist.

Sounds like you know you're wood 😅

Top Bottom