2022 All-Big Ten Defense

BigTenGuy

Reaction score
Nubin - 2nd Team Coaches & Media
Sori-Marin - 3rd Team Coaches

I know it's tough to make First Team in a 14-team league, but as good as the Gophers defense has been the last two seasons, not a single First Team All-Big Ten defender. Think Nubin may have belonged on 1st Team.

I know it's tough to make First Team in a 14-team league, but as good as the Gophers defense has been the last two seasons, not a single First Team All-Big Ten defender. Think Nubin may have belonged on 1st Team.
Agree on all counts. Don't know who the first team safeties were, but it's tough to imagine two better than Nubin who will likely be a top 60-75 pick. Anyway, the whole thing demonstrates both the awesome coaching job Rossi has done and the depth MN has built on defense. They may not have superstars all over, but they've got a bunch of really good players.

Congrats to Nubin and Sori-Marin.

Weird. A top 5 or 6 defense in the country depending on the metric, and only two players in the 3 All Conference teams? A good defense means players are playing well. Players that play well are good players. Period. Something seems off.

Leaving Howden off these is simply wrong.

This is both an outrage and a credit to Rossi.

Walley and Howden deserved mention.
I think when you look at the entire defense - we had 3 defensive lineman, 3 linebackers, and 2 safeties each earn all conference status. It is hard to get 1st team, 2nd team etc. I 100% agree with you that it is a credit to Rossi. He has built a very solid defense.

There will be real outrage when the offense comes out because there is a pretty good chance that Mo Ibrahim won't be first team - I'm assuming the Illinois back (name escapes me right now) and Coroum (Michigan) will be the first team backs.

Lots of love for Illinois (5 players total) and Iowa (6 players). I believe 6 ties them with Michigan and Penn St. for the most players on the the three defensive teams.
Purdue, the team representing the West, only has 1 honorable mention. When offensive teams are announced, there better not be one Hawkeye on there.

We didn't play the best team in the Big Ten.
We didn't play the second best team in the Big Ten.
We did play the 3rd best team, and gave up 479 yards and 45 points.

This probably factored into it.

We didn't play the best team in the Big Ten.
We didn't play the second best team in the Big Ten.
We did play the 3rd best team, and gave up 479 yards and 45 points.

This probably factored into it.
Agreed. To those upset, well, which DL would you nominate? I can't think of a single one. Which LB would you nominate? MSM got 3rd team and that's a surprise to me that there aren't 9 LBs better than him. I know Nubin gets the talk both here and from Fleck, but if I wasn't reading this board or listening to Fleck, I wouldn't think much of Nubin, like he didn't have stand-out plays like Winfield did. I'm not trying to insult him, I just wouldn't really be aware of him.

Most likely our defensive accomplishments are a testimony to not having holes at certain spots.

Top Bottom