2022-23 Gopher Hockey Season

I understand why some of us can't shake Holy Cross from our heads, but the fact that we will be playing either #43 or #44 in the first round is quite a gift. RIT could challenge us on an off night, those two aren't in the same league as us.
I don't think anyone can't shake them except UND fans.

I want HC to make it. The idea of a bunch of UND inbreds showing up to that game with their HC jerseys to watch us beat them 8-0 sounds pretty appealing.

www.gopherhockeyhistory.com

This website never works for me beyond like three page views, but if it works for someone else they could check the Opponent History. I think Holy Cross is one of VERY FEW opponents that Gophers have a record under .500 against, and could remedy that. Think Maine is the one where they are a few games under .500.

Well, as of this morning it sounds like the CHN Pairwise Probabilities were wrong and the Gophers need to win Saturday to get the favorable first round matchup since QU will very likely win the ECAC and that would jump them to #1 with a Gopher loss.

Well, as of this morning it sounds like the CHN Pairwise Probabilities were wrong and the Gophers need to win Saturday to get the favorable first round matchup since QU will very likely win the ECAC and that would jump them to #1 with a Gopher loss.
Is there a link to that? The one I'm looking at still shows us 100% but I'm sure I am looking in the wrong spot.

Domination. I do find it odd that Adam Fantilli was the only unanimous selection to the all freshman team. That is assuming the news release is accurate. Also Close should have been goalie of the year and first team all big ten.

Fantilli is the best player in college hockey but only played 19 conference games.

I'd say Knies for POTY (1st in conf goals, T3rd in conf points, 1st in conf GWG)
Cooley ROTY (T1st in conf points w/Snuggy)
Fantilli wins Rookie of the Year despite missing 20% of the games (2 to sickness, 2 to WJC, 1 to suspension). I'd say it's fair and sets him up for a Hobey win.

Knies wins POTY as I expected. I think he may be in the Hobey final three with Fantilli and someone else.

Faber wins dman of the year. Obvious choice.
Motzko wins coach of the year. Obvious choice.

Bischel wins GOTY over Close and Dobes which is totally ridiculous IMO.

That has to be wrong otherwise you have someone that should lose their vote.
I agree, just looking at the news release from the big ten. The Notre Dame guy winning goalie of the year has to just be to not have it all be Minnesota and Michigan. You can not give up almost 1/2 a goal more than the league leader and win goalie of the year.

I agree, just looking at the news release from the big ten. The Notre Dame guy winning goalie of the year has to just be to not have it all be Minnesota and Michigan. You can not give up almost 1/2 a goal more than the league leader and win goalie of the year.
Bischel did have a great save percentage, and the ND defense allowed almost 1200 shots on goal when he played. I don’t think he deserved the award, but he did save the Irish from what could have been a very embarrassing year.

Eh, that guy has a pretty good argument. He faced significantly more shots than any other goaltender. Close was excellent, but also plays behind the best D core in the country.

Eh, that guy has a pretty good argument. He faced significantly more shots than any other goaltender. Close was excellent, but also plays behind the best D core in the country.
That didn’t stop Dryden McKay from winning the Hobey in 2022. The guy played behind the best defensive team in a pretty weak league in 2022. It’s not Closes’ fault that he plays for Minnesota.

That didn’t stop Dryden McKay from winning the Hobey in 2022. The guy played behind the best defensive team in a pretty weak league in 2022. It’s not Closes’ fault that he plays for Minnesota.
McKay should not have won the Hobey in 2022. But that's unrelated to who wins B1G goaltender of the year in 2023.

Fantilli wins Rookie of the Year despite missing 20% of the games (2 to sickness, 2 to WJC, 1 to suspension). I'd say it's fair and sets him up for a Hobey win.

Knies wins POTY as I expected. I think he may be in the Hobey final three with Fantilli and someone else.

Faber wins dman of the year. Obvious choice.
Motzko wins coach of the year. Obvious choice.

Bischel wins GOTY over Close and Dobes which is totally ridiculous IMO.
Minnesota’s Knies tabbed Big Ten player of year, Michigan’s Fantilli top freshman, Notre Dame’s Bischel best goaltender

Someone brought up on GPL and it made me thing, Faber is the best defenseman to wear the maroon and gold since.....................
I'm thinking Paul Martin but I think Faber has a good argument for being better than him. Maybe best since Leopold. Keith Ballard was amazing too.

2 in the top 10. These were not even the players nominated by the team when the process started. Those were Fabre and LaCombe. Pretty blessed team with the high high end talent they have.

Last edited:

Sorry Logan, but Brock should have your spot.

Prediction:
Fantilli (winner)
Knies
Farrell but likely a goalie instead

Will Colgate blow it as expected? DU clearing the way for UND, of course.

Colgate pulls it off. If UND wins tonight guessing Gophers go east to play Atlantic Winner

Fargo is ideal of course but getting the #1 is bigger. In fact I don’t do much care about Fargo itself as I want UND to lose badly. Thanks for nothing Denver

Also if that is the Denver team we see in a potential frozen four matchup we will have our way with them.

St. Cloud and Penn State are having the same season. Both frauds.

St Cloud is much better at hockey than PSU. And you know they'd play to their potential against the Gophers. Problem is tonight looks like they want to guarantee another NCHC team to the tourney.

Top Bottom