2022-2023 Roster

Big day for Faber yesterday also getting traded to the hometown team. I believe he will be the best defenseman in college hockey this year.

Logan Cooley goes 3 overall to Arizona. The Gophers will play at ASU (the Coyotes temporary arena) this year.

He is the highest drafted Gopher forward ever. Erik Johnson (D - Stanley Cup champ with COL) went 1 overall in 2006.

Meanwhile, Michigan continues to stack up first rounders with #13 and #14.

As of now UMN has a #3 and #31 for first rounders on the roster
Michigan has a #4, #13, #14, and #24

Big Ten title race will be between the two again.

Gophers add their second first rounder of the night. Snuggerud to STL. 23 overall.

Everyone expects a top heavy line of Knies-Cooley-Snuggerud, which would likely be the best line in college hockey.

HS Senior and future Gopher Sam Rinzel goes 25 overall to Chicago. Huge upside pick for them.

Anywhere between 2 and 4 probably. Percentages reflect odds of being on campus + odds of being a first round pick. Johnson is already.
Logan Cooley (95%) - Unless he goes pro before college
Ryan Johnson (95%) - Seems like he's coming back
Snuggerud (70%)
Chesley (55%)
Chesley does not go in the 1st round. His offensive production drop last season likely the reason. Had it at basically 50/50.

Gophers will likely have three first rounders and four second rounders. The second rounders may have the four best college careers out of the seven. Lacombe, Faber, Knies, and Chesley assuming he goes round 2.

Guys on ESPN seemed surprised Chesley fell that far. Oh well. They were a little down on Rinzel going that early, but I think he had it held against him that he stayed in HS. His upside is huge.

Bonin - any idea where Kurth and Mittelstadt are projected? Is Cal Thomas expected to get drafted?

Bonin - any idea where Kurth and Mittelstadt are projected? Is Cal Thomas expected to get drafted?
As overagers it's possible they don't get picked again so if they do I'd think 5th to 7th.

Cal Thomas is already drafted in 2021 6th round 171 to Arizona.

As overagers it's possible they don't get picked again so if they do I'd think 5th to 7th.

Cal Thomas is already drafted in 2021 6th round 171 to Arizona.
Ah, missed that on Thomas, and forgot the other two were eligible last year.

Thanks

Mittelstadt goes undrafted in his second pass as do Bartoszkiewicz and (commit) Yakesh. Commit Rud goes undrafted in his first go.

This world juniors disaster better not be a precursor to the gophers season. Faber the captain with Knies and Cooley. They got thoroughly outplayed for for the entire second period and played some undisciplined hockey most of the night.

This world juniors disaster better not be a precursor to the gophers season. Faber the captain with Knies and Cooley. They got thoroughly outplayed for for the entire second period and played some undisciplined hockey most of the night.
Gonna go out on a limb and say there will be no connection between the two.

The fairly quiet tournaments from Cooley and Knies was a little frustrating.

Cooley showed some flashes of his ultra high skill level, Knies was surprisingly quiet. Not concerned about any impact on their college seasons, just disappointed for team USA.

Cooley showed some flashes of his ultra high skill level, Knies was surprisingly quiet. Not concerned about any impact on their college seasons, just disappointed for team USA.
I am concerned about Knies as the world juniors he was playing against kids his own age and he’s physically superior to a lot of them. Once you get to college he’s gonna face 23-25 year olds again and won’t have the physical advantage as much. Not saying he’s not a good player but I thought he would dominate the world juniors and he just did not.

I am concerned about Knies as the world juniors he was playing against kids his own age and he’s physically superior to a lot of them. Once you get to college he’s gonna face 23-25 year olds again and won’t have the physical advantage as much. Not saying he’s not a good player but I thought he would dominate the world juniors and he just did not.
He was physically dominant for 33 games as a freshman last year, many against 23-25 year olds. I’ll gladly rely on that sample over 4 world junior games. I do find it odd that he didn’t play better but I don’t see it as reason to be concerned.

He was physically dominant for 33 games as a freshman last year, many against 23-25 year olds. I’ll gladly rely on that sample over 4 world junior games. I do find it odd that he didn’t play better but I don’t see it as reason to be concerned.
I hope you’re right. Anything less than a national championship game and it’s a disappointing season.

Top Bottom