2022-2023 College Basketball Other Games Thread

Here's an amusing Barstool blog about Eastern Illinois' upset of Iowa. I can't vouch for accuracy, but their college hoops blogger submits that this EIU win as a 31.5 point dog sets a modern day record, home or away. Couldn't happen to a better foe. I wish I had watched the game just to see Fran's reaction!
Francon 1!!!
gt5xr_SS3NFxM43Gx3A6CJcPJSQwKFjYR_4fpCbZVf4.jpg

Missouri up 24 on Illinois at the half. Pretty crazy what happens when you hire someone with HC experience.

Missouri up 24 on Illinois at the half. Pretty crazy what happens when you hire someone with HC experience.
Oh, so we're gonna play that game?? Every time a team who hired a different coach has a good game, it gets brought-up as if it's something special?

This was Missouri's only good game this year. And how many 5-star recruits do they have on the way? I sure don't recall any Missouri verbals listed above Evans.

Oh I forgot, recruiting doesn't matter anymore. I keep being told I don't know anything about this new world of college basketball where recruiting doesn't matter.

Oh, so we're gonna play that game?? Every time a team who hired a different coach has a good game, it gets brought-up as if it's something unusual?

This was Missouri's only good game this year. And how many 5-star recruits do they have on the way? I sure don't recall any Missouri verbals listed above Evans.

Oh I forgot, recruiting doesn't matter anymore. I keep being told I don't know anything about this new world of college basketball where recruiting doesn't matter.

In regards to the bold, yes. It's worth bringing up when first and second year head coaches are having great success, while were in the midst of our WORST season since I've been alive.

And Missouri has a top 25 class coming in, so they're recruiting just fine. Recruiting does matter. Gates pulled a top 25 class in his first full class. Johnson's was 60th in his first full class, and as it turns out relying on 3 stars, and not having portal success is a bad thing!

In regards to the bold, yes. It's worth bringing up when first and second year head coaches are having great success, while were in the midst of our WORST season since I've been alive.

And Missouri has a top 25 class coming in, so they're recruiting just fine. Recruiting does matter. Gates pulled a top 25 class in his first full class. Johnson's was 60th in his first full class, and as it turns out relying on 3 stars, and not having portal success is a bad thing!
Are this year’s freshmen his first full class? Not sure what the definition is. From what I see it’s the portal that’s been a problem not the frosh recruiting. I think three of the four freshmen this year will be solid college basketball players. Obviously next year with two four stars including a borderline five star is outstanding. The group needs some guard leadership from the portal.

The Gates comparison is not a good one. People close to the process said Gophers were interested and he wasn’t. There was no chance that was happening. The comparison between coaches that were interested and who we hired are a more fair comparison.

Are this year’s freshmen his first full class? Not sure what the definition is. From what I see it’s the portal that’s been a problem not the frosh recruiting. I think three of the four freshmen this year will be solid college basketball players. Obviously next year with two four stars including a borderline five star is outstanding. The group needs some guard leadership from the portal.

The Gates comparison is not a good one. People close to the process said Gophers were interested and he wasn’t. There was no chance that was happening. The comparison between coaches that were interested and who we hired are a more fair comparison.

Gates didn't have much time to put together a 22 class, much like for Johnson in his 21 class. So I consider Gates' first class to be the 2023 class and Johnson's first class to be 2022. Gates has a top 25 class for 2023. Johnson's class was ranked 60th in 2022.

And I'm not saying Gates was going to come here, I'm just saying Missouri was pretty bad last year, and he to flip the roster, and he's got a top 50 team in year 1, and is recruiting better heading into year 2.

I think our FR class has some potential, but we're so bad any statistics they get will be inflated because somebody has to score/rebound.

Gates didn't have much time to put together a 22 class, much like for Johnson in his 21 class. So I consider Gates' first class to be the 2023 class and Johnson's first class to be 2022. Gates has a top 25 class for 2023. Johnson's class was ranked 60th in 2022.

And I'm not saying Gates was going to come here, I'm just saying Missouri was pretty bad last year, and he to flip the roster, and he's got a top 50 team in year 1, and is recruiting better heading into year 2.

I think our FR class has some potential, but we're so bad any statistics they get will be inflated because somebody has to score/rebound.
I think it’s easy to analyze the difference between Gates and others in the cycle of new and newer coaches. Ben had no previous head coaching experience. All the others we compare him to did. A lot easier to sell when there is something reasonably concrete. Past history doesn’t guarantee current success but is more concrete than a vision. I’ll go on record as believing that 22 class is better than the 60 rating implies. Payne was grossly underrated in national rankings, Henley had little exposure because of California lockdown, and Joseph is proving that a bit player on a basketball factory high school team can succeed in college. Carrington is a good if not great college player. It’s about completing a roster in the portal and establishing an identity now.

I think it’s easy to analyze the difference between Gates and others in the cycle of new and newer coaches. Ben had no previous head coaching experience. All the others we compare him to did. A lot easier to sell when there is something reasonably concrete. Past history doesn’t guarantee current success but is more concrete than a vision. I’ll go on record as believing that 22 class is better than the 60 rating implies. Payne was grossly underrated in national rankings, Henley had little exposure because of California lockdown, and Joseph is proving that a bit player on a basketball factory high school team can succeed in college. Carrington is a good if not great college player. It’s about completing a roster in the portal and establishing an identity now.
It's worth mentioning him, though, as an example of what a talented but young coach can accomplish--and what can reasonably be expected--in their first year or two in a new job in today's game.

What we're probably finding out is that Gates wasn't a flash in the pan at Cleveland State, as so many of these coaching prospects of the day are. He looks like the real deal. Regardless of whether he was available last year, he's one of the good ones and could have been successful here.

But you conveniently forgot to mention that Johnson followed up his first recruiting class with a higher rated 2nd class, including an outstate 5-star.

It makes no sense to not give him a chance to develop his recruits.

My first choice was Musselman. Instant 5-star recruiting. So that's a miss. But I'm not going to bring-up every good game all the other coaches have while ignoring the bad ones. I don't even care about wins at all at this moment.

Is the New Mexico vs Colorado State game on any channel we get here? That shapes up as very interesting. I'm curious how New Mexico plays and whether they resemble Pitino's Gopher squads in style and execution.

Is the New Mexico vs Colorado State game on any channel we get here? That shapes up as very interesting. I'm curious how New Mexico plays and whether they resemble Pitino's Gopher squads in style and execution.
It's on CBSSN at 8pm on Wednesday the 28th.
Pitino's team is driven by guards, Mashburn and House. Both are undersized, but House is quick. They still tend to get caught watching the paint dry on offense. Defensively they are active, like Pitino's teams here.
In my opinion, Pitino is in his niché where most opponents aren't dominant, but he can schedule a few tougher teams in the non-comference. He can win at this level and get his teams into the Dance where his two guards may light it up for at least one win. Being at Minnesota, in a grueling conference, is difficult for any coach. Winning here is a difficult task.

MN hired a past assistant of the failed 8 yr term head coach. Everything about this is mind boggling.
Well he's already signing outstate 5-stars.

And none of the coaches we hired since Clem have worked out...so why not at least let Ben coach his first couple recruiting classes?

Look like New Mexico is on its way to 13-0. They are leading Colorado State 49-25 at the half. Pitino has them rolling.

Last edited:

Watching LSU - Arkansas. All 5 guys for Ark will take it to the hole and are capable of doing it. Defensively they are crazy aggressive.

Missouri kicked the living ass of Kentucky. Gates is really the real deal.

Michigan lost to Central Michigan tonight, a team the Gophers beat. Minnesota might have a chance to beat Michigan when they come to the Barn. Oh, wait...

New Mexico wins late against a bad Wyoming team. Would never want a New Year’s Eve Day road game.

Top Bottom