2021 Turkey of the Year Prediction Thread

BleedGopher

Reaction score
I think the winner has to come out of the Twins franchise - Rocco, Falvine Combo have to be contenders and at least have a seat at the table.

I'm sure there will be a Wolves shout out, even if a subtle shot at Taylor for bringing in two owners who to date, can't come up with financing to actually buy the team.

Coyle could get mention for the Fleck contract extension and just overall mediocrity of the athletic department.

Go Gophers!!

Has Glen Taylor won it before? I think so. If not, he might need to get one before it's too late. Otherwise, some combo of Jim Pohlad and Derek Falvey. And it will be deserved.

Mark Coyle, athletic director, University of Minnesota, got the award last year.

Below are the ones for this century. The rest, including the original 10 from the Pioneer Press are at the link.

2019: The End (?)

2018: P.J. Fleck, Gophers

2017: Patrick Reusse, Turkey Chairman

2016: Men’s Athletics at the University of Minnesota

2015: The Grim Reaper

2014: 25 Years of the Wolves

2013: Terry Ryan, Twins

2012: Tubby Smith, Gophers

2011: Zygi Wilf, Vikings

2010: Brett Favre, Vikings

2009: Tim Brewster, Gophers

2008: Marian Gaborik, Wild

2007: Charlie Weis, Notre Dame

2006: Pam Borton, Gophers

2005: Bob Naegele, Wild

2004: Red McCombs, Vikings

2003: Glen Mason, Gophers

2002: Kevin McHale and Flip Saunders, Wolves

2001: Randy Moss and Cris Carter, Vikings

2000: Jesse Ventura, Minn. Gov.

Has Glen Taylor won it before? I think so. If not, he might need to get one before it's too late. Otherwise, some combo of Jim Pohlad and Derek Falvey. And it will be deserved.
Umm, given who is signing the Chairman's paychecks I doubt Glen Taylor is a TOY candidate. The Owner of the StarTribune has never won it outright, but the 2014 Honoree was "25 Years of the Wolves".

Umm, given who is signing the Chairman's paychecks I doubt Glen Taylor is a TOY candidate. The Owner of the StarTribune has never won it outright, but the 2014 Honoree was "25 Years of the Wolves".
TOY has been going a lot longer than Glen has owned the Star Tribune. But yeah, it might make it awkward for Patrick, if he still cares. He's been threatening to retire for a few years now.

I think the winner has to come out of the Twins franchise - Rocco, Falvine Combo have to be contenders and at least have a seat at the table.

I'm sure there will be a Wolves shout out, even if a subtle shot at Taylor for bringing in two owners who to date, can't come up with financing to actually buy the team.

Coyle could get mention for the Fleck contract extension and just overall mediocrity of the athletic department.

Go Gophers!!
Before the last two weeks I would have predicted Cousins for taking $150M from the organization and refusing to get vaccinated, thus putting his teammates and coaches in jeopardy. In the last two weeks he's done just enough to escape the award.

It has to be ARod. Patrick hates phonies. Especially phonies with bigger social media accounts than bank accounts. ARod on twitter or IG hitting 3's. ARod in twitter or IG hanging with players thirty years younger who've never heard of him. ARod casually mentioning that he owns several apartment projects in the TC with thousands of units (he doesn't). ARod with more fat now than muscles.
Gotta, gotta, gotta be ARod.

Tell me I'm wrong, Bleed.

The Twins are certainly due and deserving. . .Mike Zimmer and/or Rick Spielman could also be in line for the award, despite the recent two week uptick.

The Twins have deserved it plenty of times but Ruesse has only given it to them once because he's a bought and paid for Pohlad pocket protector.

He's given it to the U/Gophers 7 times because he's a lazy hack, and the Strib hates the U.

The Twins have deserved it plenty of times but Ruesse has only given it to them once because he's a bought and paid for Pohlad pocket protector.

He's given it to the U/Gophers 7 times because he's a lazy hack, and the Strib hates the U.
He has given it to the Twins 4 times, including the father the Pohlad's you reference TWICE so that would seem to be an odd payola arrangement.

2013 - Terry Ryan
1998 - Carl Pohlad
1990 - Kent Hrbek
1987 - Carl Pohlad

He's also given the local 9 their proper due on his multiple SKOR North podcasts.

My hunch, Rob Manfred.

He has given it to the Twins 4 times, including the father the Pohlad's you reference TWICE so that would seem to be an odd payola arrangement.

2013 - Terry Ryan
1998 - Carl Pohlad
1990 - Kent Hrbek
1987 - Carl Pohlad

He's also given the local 9 their proper due on his multiple SKOR North podcasts.

My hunch, Rob Manfred.

I was only looking at Iceland's list back to 2000. It's 7-1 Gophers vs Twins over that timeframe despite the Twins being 0 for their last 18 playoff games.

It's just funny that because we're fans of MN sports we have to have a huge debate, because you know, ALL of our sports teams are such cluster f*cks.

2013 - Terry Ryan
1998 - Carl Pohlad
1990 - Kent Hrbek
1987 - Carl Pohlad

My hunch, Rob Manfred.
He could give it to MLB umpires or pitchers because he hates the slow pace of play.

2013 - Terry Ryan
1998 - Carl Pohlad
1990 - Kent Hrbek
1987 - Carl Pohlad

My hunch, Rob Manfred.

Good choice. Every Commissioner has had to deal with the feeling, rightly or wrongly, they didn't care about the game itself, just about making the owners richer.

Manfred, maybe to his credit, has all but came out and said that it was all he cares about.

2013 - Terry Ryan
1998 - Carl Pohlad
1990 - Kent Hrbek
1987 - Carl Pohlad

My hunch, Rob Manfred.
Manfred should be the choice, good call.

It will be baseball in general. These front office smart guys and gals have turned baseball into an unwatchable event with either home runs or strikeouts. The have taken staring pitching out of baseball by having bullpen games and “openers”. The game stake 3 hours on good day, 3:45 on a bad day, and over 4 hours to play in the playoffs.
for a man like Pat that grew up loving baseball and covering for his entire career it has been an awful down turn and won’t be changing anytime soon.

of course it could just be Fleck since he lost to a 3-6 overall and 1-6 team in the MAC.

Go Gophers!!
Heard Reusse on Common and when asked about his Turkey he said don't put your PaJamas away or something about PaJamas...

😯😯😯

If it's not a local, it's gotta be Rob Manfred, for all of the aforementioned reasons plus a work stoppage next Thursday.

I thought he retired this stupid bit last year.

In the Star Tribune? This is a blue governor you're talking about, right? I'll bet you $10,000 cold hard cash that never happens in a million years, not in that dying newspaper
I bet he will be in the Top 10.

Not true. The timberwolves have had a tradition of excellence since 11/15/21.
That was the night I went back to Target Center for the first time since the Rambis tenure as Head Coach.

Of course I KNEW they were on the verge of excellence.

Heard Reusse on Common and when asked about his Turkey he said don't put your PaJamas away or something about PaJamas...

😯😯😯
Not sure if you are being serious or not, but the "Patrick" that calls into Common is an imposter, done as a comic bit.

Shoot, this was the obvious local choice and Gopherhole fanned like Sano on an inside fastball. Me included.

A very worthy recipient

These were the chosen contenders (some controversial), and now here's the Turkey of the Year Award, back in all its glory:
Gersson Rosas, former Timberwolves executive. He was hired on May 1, 2019, basically as the replacement for Tom Thibodeau (fired that January) to run the basketball operation. Much ado was made that day about the "FAMILY'' operation the Wolves were going to become, after the Jimmy Butler disturbance created chaos and did in Thibs.

Rosas blundered in his first draft (Jarrett Culver), scored well in his second (Anthony Edwards, Jaden McDaniels), unloaded Andrew Wiggins, but wound up with the unpredictable D'Angelo Russell, and also lost a high first-rounder.
Nothing there to get him fired, but it seems Rosas had made a number of enemies and one very good friend in creating still another battling Wolves front office.

As mentioned, there's no return of the storied Turkey Banquet in 2021, just dinner for the winner and a plus one.

Top Bottom