2021 Recruiting

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
Since we've been talking up Azzi Fudd on another thread, we may as well start the 2021 Recruiting thread.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-ba...sketball-camp-highlights-three-point-shootout

Stephen Curry’s SC30 Select Camp for elite high school players wrapped up this week in San Francisco. It’s breakout star was 15-year-old Azzi Fudd, the first female hooper ever invited to the camp.

Fudd is a 5’11 guard from Arlington, Virginia, who is entering her sophomore year of high school at St. John’s in D.C. She spent the first part of her summer winning her second gold medal with USA Basketball as a part of the program’s U17 team.

Then she went to Curry’s camp and and competed with some of the best boys high school players in the country.

Fudd competed against her male peers in scrimmages and drills all week, but she really stole the show in the three-point contest. She won the whole damn thing.

Other offers known of this class.

Minnesota ones known or they posted on social media

-Kendall Coley-St.Louis Park-6’1 Guard
-Sophie Hart-Farmington-6’4 Center
-Adalia McKenzie-Park Center- 5’10 Guard/Forward (my guess is this will be the top recruit in the state in class of 2021)

Names that I know they have watched or had interest in include:

-Jenna Johnson-Wayzata-6’2 Forward
-Tamia Ugass-Roseville-6’3 Post
-Kaylee Van Eps-Chaska-5’9 Guard

I don't know if they have backed off interest in them or have officially offered to this point.

There is also interest in PG Jade Hill (Mpls South but rumored to be headed to Minnehaha Academy), PG Ellie Dague (Henning, was injured most of the summer) and PG Katie Borowicz (Roseau). It's a strong class with 10-12 power conference prospects.

Based on what Whalen, Thibault-Dudonis, and Roysland have said in interviews, they are really focusing on evaluating instate talent. That doesn't mean that they aren't looking elsewhere at other national and international players.

I think this brings a lot of goodwill with MN HS coaches. This is not a knock against Marlene Stollings. Whalen seems to be more keen on watching and paying attention to instate and outstate players.

It will be interesting to know how the Gopher roster will look a few seasons down the road. The trick is convincing some of the top players to stay home.

Last edited:

A couple of things: Anyone know if Kendall Coley is the sister of former Hawkeye Chase Coley?

As Whalen and her staff develop recruiting strategies, I'm hoping that they'll take a similar approach to what Hugh McCutcheon and his staff have done with the very successful Gopher women's volleyball program. I'm not a volleyball wonk, but I follow the Gopher volleyballers enough to know that they have a template for success. If you look at their roster, 5 of the 18 players are from Minnesota. Other players are from IL, WA, MO, FL, TX, KS, CA, MI, WI, Poland, and New Zealand. I'm not a huge proponent of spending a lot of time and money recruiting internationally, as the Gophers and most other major programs haven't had much success with that. It seems like it takes international players a while to get acclimated to the physicality of US basketball; the BIG even more so. Although there are some international players who can contribute (Amanda Zahui B, Kadija Anderson(sp?) ), it doesn't seem like any of the nationally prominent programs spend much time recruiting internationally. Whalen and her staff are saying all the right things to Minnesota high school and AAU coaches to make them think that things will be different under this regime. Time will tell if that rings true or not. My feeling is that the new coaching group will definitely make Minnesota talent a priority, but not at the expense of superior talent from other areas of the country. If this program wants to become nationally prominent, they'll have to recruit well nationally, but that all starts with the backyard here in Minnesota. Although Stollings was sometimes criticized for not recruiting Minnesota hard enough, in fairness, she was here during a time when the talent pool was in a bit of a down cycle. That is certainly about to change in upcoming years, so it's a good time for Whalen and staff to develop ties with Minnesota high school and AAU coaches.

Yes Kendall is the little sister of Chase. Not sure if has Iowa offer in hand but my guess is yes or at least will anytime now. Also Jade Hill (listed above) is also the little sister of Taylor Hill. my hopes is not too high on those two being gophers. Personally the three I would like them to get out of this MN class is Adalia McKenzie, Tamia Ugass and Jenna Johnson.

A couple of things: Anyone know if Kendall Coley is the sister of former Hawkeye Chase Coley?

Chase and Kendall are sisters. I agree with most of your post. While UM definitely won't get to the final four with Minnesota players alone there's no reason why half the team shouldn't be from here. Why go to Spain or Hungary or Michigan to get the 12th and 13th players on the roster, for example. Minnesota kids will put people in the seats and generate good will in the local basketball community which is important long-term. There were numerous players available during Stollings recruiting period that could have made an impact here (Haiby, Backes, Johnson, Ranke, Jank for example) who weren't already committed when she arrived. She just couldn't convince them to sign. I think you have to take the new staff at face value when they say they will make Minnesota kids a priority. They have already signed one and offered at least 12 more.

I know it was already known and expected. But gophers have offered ESPN Hoopgurlz 2021 #1 in super 25 Azzi Fudd.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Yes Kendall is the little sister of Chase. Not sure if has Iowa offer in hand but my guess is yes or at least will anytime now. Also Jade Hill (listed above) is also the little sister of Taylor Hill. my hopes is not too high on those two being gophers. Personally the three I would like them to get out of this MN class is Adalia McKenzie, Tamia Ugass and Jenna Johnson.

McKenzie in the Barn today along with 2022 Mallory Heyer. Whalen watched Ugass, Johnson and Mara Braun Friday night.

https://www.swnewsmedia.com/chaska_...cle_a30484c4-d0ef-5b60-adc6-02c40a70d055.html

Minnesota Gophers coach Lindsay Whalen in the house, Chaska outscored St. Louis Park 32-20 in the second half, finishing off the first loop of the Metro West Conference unbeaten in a 54-43 win Jan. 25.

Mallory Heyer netted 21 points for the Hawks, now 7-0 in the Metro West Conference, a game ahead of Robbinsdale Cooper.

Kaylee Van Eps added 15 with Destinee Bursch with eight points.

https://www.swnewsmedia.com/chaska_...cle_a30484c4-d0ef-5b60-adc6-02c40a70d055.html

Minnesota Gophers coach Lindsay Whalen in the house, Chaska outscored St. Louis Park 32-20 in the second half, finishing off the first loop of the Metro West Conference unbeaten in a 54-43 win Jan. 25.

Mallory Heyer netted 21 points for the Hawks, now 7-0 in the Metro West Conference, a game ahead of Robbinsdale Cooper.

Kaylee Van Eps added 15 with Destinee Bursch with eight points.

Whalen was watching 2021 Kendall Coley of St. Louis Park and 2022 Mallory Heyer of Chaska, both of whom have offers from UM. Chaska also has Kennedy Sanders, a stud point guard from the 2023 class who will be on the radar when/if she has a growth spurt. They don't appear to have any interest in Van Eps, who has a number of mid-major offers.

Per twitter, Gophers have offered 5’8 Guard Ari Wiggins from Indiana. She is #18 on ESPN Hoopgurlz #18 on 2021 top 25.

https://247sports.com/college/louis...ianapolis-north-central-meg-newman-133307066/

From a Louisville site: 6'3" Meg Newman of Indianapolis has a Minnesota offer (and many others).

Indianapolis North Central wing Meg Newman, a 2021 target, was among the impressive group to attend. The 6-foot-3 Newman is rated as the No. 3 overall prospect in the Hoosier State by Prep Girls Hoops and is listed as the No. 49 overall prospect in her class by ESPN.
Newman’s list of scholarship offers has reached double-figures, with Arizona, Arizona State, DePaul, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Northwestern, Penn State, Purdue and Vanderbilt among the growing group.

She would be a big get if she chose the gophers! 23rd player for the class of 2021.

Staples, 2020 prospect Deja Kelly, Pitts, Cumming, Affolter and not sure who is on the far right -- a freshman or another recruit?

Staples, 2020 prospect Deja Kelly, Pitts, Cumming, Affolter and not sure who is on the far right -- a freshman or another recruit?

Thats 2020 commit Erin Hedman, looks like she was on an official visit this weekend as well.

That’s Erin Hedman. The 2020 forward who has committed to the gophers. She is #75 in ESPN top 100 for class of 2020

I came here (MSUM), Kacie is going to UND and my younger sister, Katie, is probably going like ... I hope she goes to the Gophers," Kiley said with a smile.

Old article from back in January of 2019 but does anyone know if the Gophers are still interested in Katie Borowicz?

Are the Gophers interested in sophomore center Lily Meister from Rochester JM?
Nice upside potential with height. Getting offers already from other D1 schools. Go Way! Go Gophers!

Are the Gophers interested in sophomore center Lily Meister from Rochester JM?
Nice upside potential with height. Getting offers already from other D1 schools. Go Way! Go Gophers!
Meister is getting mid-major offers. She has a thin frame so strength is going to be a question mark. She's going to be very good but perhaps not suited for the Big Ten. Time will tell. Parents both played at SDSU I believe.

I'm not sure but guessing the three main targets (locally) at least for 2021 would be

Jenna Johnson-Wayzata-6’2 Forward
Sophie Hart-Farmington-6’4 Center
Adalia McKenzie-Park Center- 5’10 Guard/Forward

will have 4 available scholarships for 2021 with carrying two unused ones from this year and graduating Pitts and Hubbard.

Meister is getting mid-major offers. She has a thin frame so strength is going to be a question mark. She's going to be very good but perhaps not suited for the Big Ten. Time will tell. Parents both played at SDSU I believe.

I'm not sure but guessing the three main targets (locally) at least for 2021 would be

Jenna Johnson-Wayzata-6’2 Forward
Sophie Hart-Farmington-6’4 Center
Adalia McKenzie-Park Center- 5’10 Guard/Forward

will have 4 available scholarships for 2021 with carrying two unused ones from this year and graduating Pitts and Hubbard.

Jenna Johnson-Wayzata-6’2 Forward committed to UTAH today

Gophers recently offered 2021 PG Gianna Kneepkens from Duluth Marshall and Minnesota Fury. Leading scorer in the state last season.

Park Center junior Adalia McKenzie scored 49 points against Spring Lake Park in the Pirates game at Target Center on Wednesday, January 22nd.
Click the video box to see KSTP Sports' extended highlights of Adalia McKenzie's 49-point night for Park Center at Target Center
Per the MN Sports Hub website's statstics, McKenzie leads the state with a 32.6 points per game average.
Her 49 points are the highest this season by a player on a Class 4A team.
Stay tuned to KSTP Sports for a story on McKenzie in the coming weeks
McKenzie has received college offers from several schools including Minnesota and Wisconsin, but has not yet begun to zero in on which school she'll attend

Azzi Fudd, or don’t we bother thinking that big?

Top Bottom