2021 Portal Misses--How Did They Do?

coolhandgopher

Reaction score
Between Fuller's article in the Strib on last year's Gophers and the 2022 portal beginning to rev up, it got me to thinking about some of the players whose names were bandied about last year and how they did this season. Without having seen a minute of action from any of them, I'll give an arbitrary grade on whether they would have had a positive or negligible impact for the Gophers this season:
Khadim Sy, Wake Forest: 6.5 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 20 mpg. Had the Gophers in his final four, has been a solid contributor for a Demon Deacons squad on the bubble (nod to Selection Sunday). Having another quality 6'10" post along with Curry would have helped this team greatly.

Dawson Garcia, UNC: 9 ppg, 5.5 rpg in truncated season. The Prior Lake native would have been a definite contributor. Maybe next season we'll see him in the Maroon & Gold.

Trey Wade, Arkansas: 3.5 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 16 mpg. Has been getting regular minutes for the Razorbacks that could be poised for a deep run again this year. Had the Gophers in his final 8, have to think the 6'6" forward would have perhaps doubled his stats across the board, but probably isn't regretting jumping in with Musselman.

Ody Oguama, Cincinnati: 4.5 ppg, 4 rpg, 14 mpg. Seems to have been a disappointing season for the 6'9"Wake Forest transfer--stats were down across the board for a middling Bearcats team and he only reached double figures twice during the season. While he probably would have contributed more than Daniels, he's not a difference maker.

Greg Lee, Penn State: 7 ppg, 6 rpg in 13 games. It looks like he was injured early in the season, but the former Western Michigan post could have definitely been a solid addition to the frontline.

Jamari Sibley, UTEP: 5 ppg, 4 rpg. The Georgetown transfer didn't prosper with the Miners. Hasn't lived up to his prep press clippings yet.

Steffon Mitchell, ???: I'm not sure where Mitchell is playing-I did a quick Google search and couldn't find any details on him. Sure could have used him this season, if he's healthy.

Emanuel Miller, TCU: 10 ppg, 6 rpg. Solid contributor for a Horned Frogs team destined for the Big Dance, although his numbers slid considerably this season from the previous year at Texas A&M.

Cashius McNeilly, headed to Maryland: This is a strange one--followed his uncle to TCU, along with Miller, but then transferred to a juco and during the season committed to the Terps for next season, even though Danny Manning might not be the head coach when he arrives on campus.

Dylan Disu, Texas: 4 ppg, 3 rpg, 11 mpg. Whew, it was quite a comedown from a sophomore campaign at Vandy where he averaged 16 and 9. He has barely getting off the bench in recent games.

Kur Kuath, Marquette: 6 ppg, 4 rpg, 2.5 bpg in 20 mpg. Yep, another big that could have really been put to service for the Gophers, but he's headed to March Madness so probably is feeling just fine with his decision.

Filip Rebraca, Iowa: 6 ppg, 5.5 rpg in 21 mpg. Hotly pursued by Coach Johnson, but ultimately chose the Hawkeyes. Of course, his only double double of the season was against the Gophers. Could have used him.

Tyree Ihenacho, James Madison: 4 ppg, 4.5 apg in 14 games. Missed two months with what must have been an injury. The Prior Lake native and former UND guard never really got his season going, although he did play a lot of minutes once healthy.

Broc Finstuen, Cleveland State: 7.5 ppg, 4.5 rpg. The Pine Island native went from Pacific to the Vikings of Cleveland State and had a nice season, although they will not be repeating the magic of last season, having been bounced out of their conference tourney in the semi-finals.

Theo John, Duke: 3 ppg, 3 rpg, 12 mpg. Well, he's going to the tournament and it's Duke, so it could be a deep run or bounced in the first weekend. Can't fault a guy for wanting that experience, but could have at least doubled his numbers across the board while playing with the Gophers.

I'm sure there's more I've overlooked, but this is a pretty fair accounting, I believe. *Sigh*--one or two more bigs from this list and who knows. . .it's interesting that nearly every big on this list will be in the NCAA tournament, so there likely aren't many regrets, but one does wonder what John and Wade (as examples) could have provided to the Gophers throughout this season. One can hope that the Gophers showed enough for this year's contingent of portal prospects to pull the trigger when Ben J. comes a-calling.

I remember there was some reserve big man who was transferring out of North Carolina who was maybe deciding between Minnesota or the pros in Europe or something, and then those guys who were supposed to come with that Texas A&M assistant that we didn't end up hiring. I don't remember any of their names though.

Between Fuller's article in the Strib on last year's Gophers and the 2022 portal beginning to rev up, it got me to thinking about some of the players whose names were bandied about last year and how they did this season. Without having seen a minute of action from any of them, I'll give an arbitrary grade on whether they would have had a positive or negligible impact for the Gophers this season:
Khadim Sy, Wake Forest: 6.5 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 20 mpg. Had the Gophers in his final four, has been a solid contributor for a Demon Deacons squad on the bubble (nod to Selection Sunday). Having another quality 6'10" post along with Curry would have helped this team greatly.

Dawson Garcia, UNC: 9 ppg, 5.5 rpg in truncated season. The Prior Lake native would have been a definite contributor. Maybe next season we'll see him in the Maroon & Gold.

Trey Wade, Arkansas: 3.5 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 16 mpg. Has been getting regular minutes for the Razorbacks that could be poised for a deep run again this year. Had the Gophers in his final 8, have to think the 6'6" forward would have perhaps doubled his stats across the board, but probably isn't regretting jumping in with Musselman.

Ody Oguama, Cincinnati: 4.5 ppg, 4 rpg, 14 mpg. Seems to have been a disappointing season for the 6'9"Wake Forest transfer--stats were down across the board for a middling Bearcats team and he only reached double figures twice during the season. While he probably would have contributed more than Daniels, he's not a difference maker.

Greg Lee, Penn State: 7 ppg, 6 rpg in 13 games. It looks like he was injured early in the season, but the former Western Michigan post could have definitely been a solid addition to the frontline.

Jamari Sibley, UTEP: 5 ppg, 4 rpg. The Georgetown transfer didn't prosper with the Miners. Hasn't lived up to his prep press clippings yet.

Steffon Mitchell, ???: I'm not sure where Mitchell is playing-I did a quick Google search and couldn't find any details on him. Sure could have used him this season, if he's healthy.

Emanuel Miller, TCU: 10 ppg, 6 rpg. Solid contributor for a Horned Frogs team destined for the Big Dance, although his numbers slid considerably this season from the previous year at Texas A&M.

Cashius McNeilly, headed to Maryland: This is a strange one--followed his uncle to TCU, along with Miller, but then transferred to a juco and during the season committed to the Terps for next season, even though Danny Manning might not be the head coach when he arrives on campus.

Dylan Disu, Texas: 4 ppg, 3 rpg, 11 mpg. Whew, it was quite a comedown from a sophomore campaign at Vandy where he averaged 16 and 9. He has barely getting off the bench in recent games.

Kur Kuath, Marquette: 6 ppg, 4 rpg, 2.5 bpg in 20 mpg. Yep, another big that could have really been put to service for the Gophers, but he's headed to March Madness so probably is feeling just fine with his decision.

Filip Rebraca, Iowa: 6 ppg, 5.5 rpg in 21 mpg. Hotly pursued by Coach Johnson, but ultimately chose the Hawkeyes. Of course, his only double double of the season was against the Gophers. Could have used him.

Tyree Ihenacho, James Madison: 4 ppg, 4.5 apg in 14 games. Missed two months with what must have been an injury. The Prior Lake native and former UND guard never really got his season going, although he did play a lot of minutes once healthy.

Broc Finstuen, Cleveland State: 7.5 ppg, 4.5 rpg. The Pine Island native went from Pacific to the Vikings of Cleveland State and had a nice season, although they will not be repeating the magic of last season, having been bounced out of their conference tourney in the semi-finals.

Theo John, Duke: 3 ppg, 3 rpg, 12 mpg. Well, he's going to the tournament and it's Duke, so it could be a deep run or bounced in the first weekend. Can't fault a guy for wanting that experience, but could have at least doubled his numbers across the board while playing with the Gophers.

I'm sure there's more I've overlooked, but this is a pretty fair accounting, I believe. *Sigh*--one or two more bigs from this list and who knows. . .it's interesting that nearly every big on this list will be in the NCAA tournament, so there likely aren't many regrets, but one does wonder what John and Wade (as examples) could have provided to the Gophers throughout this season. One can hope that the Gophers showed enough for this year's contingent of portal prospects to pull the trigger when Ben J. comes a-calling.
Great post and thanks for the research. I think most feel like Johnson must have thought he had player A or B lined up and it just didn't happen. Rebraca for instance given geo proximity. This year Gophers have things turn in their favor!

I think of that group theo John would have meant the most, big strong shot blocker with a bit of a mean streak. He went to Duke so can't blame him or be upset we didn't land him just saying that's the type of guy we needed most IMO.

I remember there was some reserve big man who was transferring out of North Carolina who was maybe deciding between Minnesota or the pros in Europe or something, and then those guys who were supposed to come with that Texas A&M assistant that we didn't end up hiring. I don't remember any of their names though.
Sterling Manley entered the draft....went undrafted and I think is playing in China.

The other guy I think you are thinking of is Emanuel Miller who ended up at TCU---see the original post for his stats.

El-Amin, we cooled on him supposedly. 7 ppg at Rhode island

Man now I am reminded of how many times they struck out with big men. Felt like Sterling Manley was really close, he would have made such a difference. I thought Theo John would be a slam dunk to come home too. Steffon Mitchell too. Geezo Beezo that did not go well. Wonder what happened...ample playing time in the B10 had to be attractive!

Last edited:

Good rundown! Steffon Mitchell pulled his name from the portal in July 2021 and stayed in the NBA draft. He did appear on an NBA summer league roster as a free agent but played very little. I can't find any record of him playing professionally this past season either in the G League or Internationally.

I remember seeing here last summer that we offered Chris Vogt (actually, it was posted that we offered a Cincinnati center that I assumed was Chris Vogt). You'll recall that he was Wisconsin's backup center. He played in 30 games but averaged only 12.7 minutes per game. Obviously, he would have played more minutes for us but he wouldn't have received the tournament exposure.

I don't remember seeing here that we offered Prior Lake's Tyree Ihenacho. I was hoping that we would offer him because he had a fairly impressive freshman year at North Dakota. As it turns out, because of his issues this past season, he probably wouldn't have made much difference.

Man now I am reminded of how many times they struck out with big men. Felt like Sterling Manley was really close, he would have made such a difference. I thought Theo John would be a slam dunk to come home too. Steffon Mitchell too. Geezo Beezo that did not go well. Wonder what happened...ample playing time in the B10 had to be attractive!

I don't think Sterling Manley wanted to play another season of college basketball. I believe that was only a backup plan in case he didn't get any professional interest. He played (just a bit) for the Bull's NBA summer league team and played professionally in China where he was just fair. Obviously, Mitchell really didn't want to play another season of college basketball either.

Most of those big men on that list simply were beyond our reach under the circumstances of last summer. They had the ability to go to more promising destinations. I think Ben made the mistakes of reaching too high and waiting too long to do his front court recruiting. He did an admirable job of recruiting a cadre of competent and experienced guards quickly but there are always far more of those in college basketball. Nevertheless, in late June and July of last season, there were still less-in-demand big men left who likely would have done a better job than the two we settled on.

Don't be surprised if we face similar situation this offseason when it comes to big men. Look at the offers Neil Quinn of Lafayette has received within two days of entering the portal. The good news is that we really only need one this offseason.

Top Bottom