2021-2022 season.

Do we think the starting guards will be the same? I hope all the girls have to earn their spot. I really really want to see more Borowicz this year. If she doesn’t get time this year I don’t know how much she would get the next year. She is too good not to play. She brings so much energy. So my hope is for a surprise in the line up.

In her fourth season coaching at her alma mater, Whalen returns 12 players from a young team that finished 8-13 overall, 7-11 in the Big Ten in 2020-21. They are particularly deep in the post with the return of Sconiers, Sissoku and Kayla Mershon, and the backcourt with Powerll, Scalia, Smith and Hubbard.

New are a couple of big-time freshmen and two graduate transfers that appear ready to step into key roles.

We are "particularly" deep in the backcourt with B1G caliber guards. In the post we have options but it remains to be seen whether the post position is deep with B1G talent.
Can our bigs matchup with Maryland's bigs? I caught the Gopher/Maryland game in 2019 and was impressed with the physical strength and length of Maryland as opposed to Minnesota. It was full grown women against girls. We just got pushed around. Are our bigs strong?

We should've won that 2019 game at Maryland. This season, like last season, matching up with the Maryland guards, will be tough. Ashley Owusu (6'0"), Diamond Miller (6'3") and swing player Angel Reese (6'3").

Our post strength is still unknown. It seems likely we will rely on speed and quickness (Sissoko and Micheaux). Which is fine with me. We do have some physical posts; but that only gets so far now days-unless you're Lisa Bluder.

With so much veteran talent on the roster, true freshman Maggie Czinano will likely redshirt in her first season with the team.

Redshirt-sophomore Grace Cumming will add depth to the position, while true freshman Alana Micheaux will likely redshirt in her first season with the team.

Not sure if anyone has talked about this yet. I'm not sure if these are true but I was hoping Micheaux would make an impact this season. Guess that might not happen.

Not sure if anyone has talked about this yet. I'm not sure if these are true but I was hoping Micheaux would make an impact this season. Guess that might not happen.
Ive thought all along Czinano would likely redshirt, there just isnt playing time for her unless a bunch of injuries or other things happen. Micheaux I cant see redshirting, sounds like shes been impressive so far.

Any idea how reliable this writer is? Whalen sounded impressed about Micheaux, I'd be disappointed if she wasn't playing this year. :/

Any idea how reliable this writer is? Whalen sounded impressed about Micheaux, I'd be disappointed if she wasn't playing this year. :/
I posted a number of Liebert's articles last season. He's fine. Just as important he's one of the few reporters who actually reports and analyzes Gopher women's basketball regularly. (He often participated in the post game presser.) And, he was often the only source for injury info.

Whether he has any inside scoop on Micheaux I have no idea; but it was in an analysis article so he's probably speculating like the rest of us.

Don't know that the Gophers need 6-0 forward transfers but interesting that Raoul reports former Cornell teammate of LBC/Otsego product Therese Grace Mbefano is in the portal.

Don't know that the Gophers need 6-0 forward transfers but interesting that Raoul reports former Cornell teammate of LBC/Otsego product Therese Grace Mbefano is in the portal.
she hasnt played much at cornell so i cant see her transferring up.

I’m getting very anxious to see this team play. I am very interested to see the line up and if they utilize the bench this year. I am also interested if it will look more like a team or if it will be all 1v1 ball.

I’m getting very anxious to see this team play. I am very interested to see the line up and if they utilize the bench this year. I am also interested if it will look more like a team or if it will be all 1v1 ball.
Would be very interested to see the number of Top 25 teams over the past 3 years or so that have had at least 10 players averaging 10+ minutes per game through the conference season.

Most of the successful teams I've watched in my lifetime have had about an 8-player rotation unless there was an emergency (injury) or a blow-out that allowed for 10-12 players to see more than 2-5 minutes of action.

Pretty sure that Whalen doesn't coach 1 v 1 ball, but it there's a game or segment where Powell or another player has opportunities to take an opponent who has shown they can't keep up, one on one to the hoop, or out to the wing, until the other team adjusts, I'd imagine she'll take it with the coaches blessing.

Would be very interested to see the number of Top 25 teams over the past 3 years or so that have had at least 10 players averaging 10+ minutes per game through the conference season.

Most of the successful teams I've watched in my lifetime have had about an 8-player rotation unless there was an emergency (injury) or a blow-out that allowed for 10-12 players to see more than 2-5 minutes of action.

Pretty sure that Whalen doesn't coach 1 v 1 ball, but it there's a game or segment where Powell or another player has opportunities to take an opponent who has shown they can't keep up, one on one to the hoop, or out to the wing, until the other team adjusts, I'd imagine she'll take it with the coaches blessin

Ok I was trying to be nice. I can’t watch another season of Powell playing one on one. I want Borowicz to get minutes and I’m worried she won’t get enough. Also I’ve coached for many year and every year we’ve made it to state we have played a 7 player rotation. I’m well aware of how most programs work.

Ok I was trying to be nice. I can’t watch another season of Powell playing one on one. I want Borowicz to get minutes and I’m worried she won’t get enough. Also I’ve coached for many year and every year we’ve made it to state we have played a 7 player rotation. I’m well aware of how most programs work.
I have a feeling that Borowicz will definitely get more minutes this year, but I'd be surprised if she passes over Powell for the starting job. Seems like I saw them on the floor together a few times last season and I'd bet we see more of that this season.

Granted, I only got to watch about 10 or so games last year, but the thing I see with Powell is; Yes, she can frustrate with bad turnovers and such, but she also seems like an explosive offensive play and disruptive defensive play about to happen at any given point in the game. More so than any other player on the team IMO.

Seems like Whalen was willing to put up with some of the head-scratcher stuff in order to keep her ability to take over a 4-minute stretch of the game on the floor. Just seemed like Powell would have a couple of bad turnovers, then turn around and get a couple of steals, score 8 points and dish off a couple of nice assists in a short span and you'd be thankful to have her on the floor. I too wish she were a little more steady at times. Of course, I'm never at practice, so I have no idea what happens there and what Whalen wants to see from the two players that will make her decision on playing time.

Bottom line is the roster is deep enough and talented enough so that Whalen will be able to let players earn minutes this year. Powell is a very talented: able to get to the hoop, a good passer, decent outside shooter. Last year, she seemed to struggle most with her decision-making. I'm hoping that the additional year of experience will reduce some of those problems.

Top Bottom