2021-2022 season.

In terms of possible replacements... If and I mean a big IF Whalen and the team are looking to possibly bring in former gophers or ties to the program you have

-Jackie Voigt- D3 assistant and Current AAU Coach
-Ashley Ellis-Milan- AAU and High School Coach
-Kiara Buford- Was a head coach in high school and won a state title
-Shannon Bolden (now Shannon Nelson) Head Coach of Juco program up North in Minnesota
-Brittany McCoy- Head Coach in high school in Illinois
-Lamke- Current D2 assistant in Minnesota

Post Players with ties to either coaching and/or Whalen

-Brunson (unsure if she would want to travel or recruit)
-McCarville
-Taj McWilliams-Franklin

If I had to guess, I'm thinking the new assistant will be both a female and female of color which I am perfectly happy with. My hope is they find someone who is as much of a hard-working recruiter as Carly is on the staff.

Last edited:

In terms of possible replacements... If and I mean a big IF Whalen and the team are looking to possibly bring in former gophers or ties to the program you have

-Jackie Voigt- D3 assistant and Current AAU Coach
-Ashley Ellis-Milan- AAU and High School Coach
-Kiara Buford- Was a head coach in high school and won a state title
-Shannon Bolden (now Shannon Johnson) Head Coach of Juco program up North in Minnesota
-Brittany McCoy- Head Coach in high school in Illinois
-Lamke- Current D2 assistant in Minnesota

Post Players with ties to either coaching and/or Whalen

-Brunson (unsure if she would want to travel or recruit)
-McCarville
-Taj McWilliams-Franklin

If I had to guess, I'm thinking the new assistant will be both a female and female of color which I am perfectly happy with. My hope is they find someone who is as much of a hard-working recruiter as Carly is on the staff.
McCarville does not have a degree, so she can not be hired as a coach. She could be a volunteer, I suppose, if she wanted to, but the degree requirement is pretty hard and fast.

Nelson would be interesting if she wanted to move up in the coaching world. I know she applied for the Bemidji St. position a few years back so the interest is clearly there but not sure she’d wanted to be an assistant.

Nelson would be interesting if she wanted to move up in the coaching world. I know she applied for the Bemidji St. position a few years back so the interest is clearly there but not sure she’d wanted to be an assistant.
The team defense would likely take a leap forward with her on the staff

I rather agree that either Bolden or Buford be added to the staff. Both are ex-gophers and have high school connections in the state. Bolton especially has experience recruiting. I also believe that Jensen and Carr would be excellent additions.

Shannon would be a great addition with her defense and recruiting. She has recruited the state of MN well, if only at the JUCO level. Her 2014 championship started 4 girls all from MN.

We already got Whalen Roysland and Thibault with strong relationships in state. Getting an assistant with connections somewhere else would make the most sense to me.

We already got Whalen Roysland and Thibault with strong relationships in state. Getting an assistant with connections somewhere else would make the most sense to me.
Im guessing connection to State in Recruiting might not be the biggest draw with Nelson. My guess is defensively, she was a dynamo as player, arguably one of, if not THEE best defender the Women's program has ever seen.

Put me in the Brunson camp.

She was the defensive glue for those Lynx teams, and the meanest rebounder I have seen.

We know that everyone is coming back, which is nice. Everyone understands what is expected of them in terms of team play, the team goals, and the standards. With that being said, the players have to get in the gym. Hopefully we have a normal summer where people can get into the gym areas and work on their games. If that happens, I say the players need to play and get up some shots. Make 300 or more shots a day.

Transfer side. If we get a transfer, cool. They just have to understand the team culture and what is expected of them. With the incoming freshmen. I just hope that one of them is hungry enough to push for a starting five spot. No roster spot is safe in my eye. If a freshmen comes in and is super motivated and just that dawg! Oh she should get a spot. Push the so called starters and me them earn a their positions and that would answer that impact question.

We know that everyone is coming back, which is nice. Everyone understands what is expected of them in terms of team play, the team goals, and the standards. With that being said, the players have to get in the gym. Hopefully we have a normal summer where people can get into the gym areas and work on their games. If that happens, I say the players need to play and get up some shots. Make 300 or more shots a day.

Transfer side. If we get a transfer, cool. They just have to understand the team culture and what is expected of them. With the incoming freshmen. I just hope that one of them is hungry enough to push for a starting five spot. No roster spot is safe in my eye. If a freshmen comes in and is super motivated and just that dawg! Oh she should get a spot. Push the so called starters and me them earn a their positions and that would answer that impact question.
No roster spot should be safe. However, key starters this year had way too many turnovers, poor defense, lack of hustle, and some of the guard play was downright selfish at times - and they continued to remain in the game. We need a head coach that will hold players accountable, take players out of the game when needed, and give other players an opportunity to play (i.e. compete). Players not held accountable become entitled. This team has more than enough talent to succeed, especially at the guard spot. Competition, selflessness, and accountability - that will answer the impact question.

No roster spot should be safe. However, key starters this year had way too many turnovers, poor defense, lack of hustle, and some of the guard play was downright selfish at times - and they continued to remain in the game. We need a head coach that will hold players accountable, take players out of the game when needed, and give other players an opportunity to play (i.e. compete). Players not held accountable become entitled. This team has more than enough talent to succeed, especially at the guard spot. Competition, selflessness, and accountability - that will answer the impact question.
I actually agree with this very much. At times it was painful to watch some of the guard play. It was not good basketball. I guess I somehow have become the HS coach that enjoys defense and structure. Last years team lacked both. Honestly there is a starter or 2 that I feel like lack respect for Whalen. I believe it is still leftover feelings from the Pitts situation on both sides. I think for them it’s time to buy in or find another home. Yes that also goes for Whalen. I would like her to stay, but she needs to take control. I thought it was better later in the season of sitting some players.

I personally would like to see more Borowicz next year. I thought her energy was very good on the court. She looked like she wanted to be there. She in my opinion
s a very un selfish player. I have not hid my frustration with Powell on this board. It will be hard for me to watch this team in the future if Powell gets as many minutes as she does. I want to be a big Scalia fan because I’m all about Minnesota kids. At time her body language is not good as well. I think it’s just time for Whalen to take control back. The assistant coaching hire could be pivotal.
I also agree this team has talent, and can win. I would not be upset if they picked up Jensen. I am a sucker for home grown talent.

The post situation is what it is. I believe anyone can learn defense. If Minnesota can get these posts to do their job of playing defense and hitting bunnies I think the players there can contribute. Like I don’t think they are in this dyer situation to get and all American transfer. Sissoko needs to focus on being a great 4 man. I don’t like her playing guard, and she turns the ball over way too much. However I think she is a good player.
Again the talent is there. Whalen needs to do a better job of getting the right players in the right spot. I still have high hopes for Whalen. She can do great things with this program.

I actually agree with this very much. At times it was painful to watch some of the guard play. It was not good basketball. I guess I somehow have become the HS coach that enjoys defense and structure. Last years team lacked both. Honestly there is a starter or 2 that I feel like lack respect for Whalen. I believe it is still leftover feelings from the Pitts situation on both sides. I think for them it’s time to buy in or find another home. Yes that also goes for Whalen. I would like her to stay, but she needs to take control. I thought it was better later in the season of sitting some players.

I personally would like to see more Borowicz next year. I thought her energy was very good on the court. She looked like she wanted to be there. She in my opinion
s a very un selfish player. I have not hid my frustration with Powell on this board. It will be hard for me to watch this team in the future if Powell gets as many minutes as she does. I want to be a big Scalia fan because I’m all about Minnesota kids. At time her body language is not good as well. I think it’s just time for Whalen to take control back. The assistant coaching hire could be pivotal.
I also agree this team has talent, and can win. I would not be upset if they picked up Jensen. I am a sucker for home grown talent.

The post situation is what it is. I believe anyone can learn defense. If Minnesota can get these posts to do their job of playing defense and hitting bunnies I think the players there can contribute. Like I don’t think they are in this dyer situation to get and all American transfer. Sissoko needs to focus on being a great 4 man. I don’t like her playing guard, and she turns the ball over way too much. However I think she is a good player.
Again the talent is there. Whalen needs to do a better job of getting the right players in the right spot. I still have high hopes for Whalen. She can do great things with this program.
I thought both Borowicz and Strande were a breath of fresh air last season. Both brought good energy, pushed the ball up the floor, and looked for open players. Strande seems like a natural scorer. Both seemed committed to the coach and team. Like to see more of both in the coming year.

Minnesota does have a top 100 post coming in Micheaux. I really hope she can contribute as well. Also I believe Hedman was a top 100. I know rankings don’t always mean anything, but maybe with more “normal” off season Hedman can get some more strength and contribute next season.

Ok I feel it’s time to start talking about the upcoming season again.

What is one thing everyone is looking forward/hoping to see this season?

what is one thing from last season you would like to see different?

If they can stay healthy they should be a really good team. Maybe Top 5 in the Big Ten. Health is the issue.

A lot less turnovers would be a good place to start. Then better defense would be next on my list. Value the ball and get the other team to turn it over. Scoring is there, defensively there is room for a lot of improvement.

Ok I feel it’s time to start talking about the upcoming season again.

What is one thing everyone is looking forward/hoping to see this season?

what is one thing from last season you would like to see different?
I am looking forward to seeing improvement from last year's freshman and see how this year's freshman adapt to their first year.

I would like to see the post play improve. That is far and the way the thing that can improve our prospects this year. We will be better even if post play is the same because we will have more depth and there should be improvement in the supporting cast. I have a hard time imagining the post play won't be somewhat improved with the improvement of last year's players and the addition of Micheaux and Helgren to play and practice against. I think we will see relatively better improvement against other teams because of the low roster turnover from last year.

My goal for the year would still be a 0.500 B1G record and any post season appearance i.e. NIT or better.

I'm hoping for better effort on defense. I thought there were players who worked much harder on offense than defense. Better ball movement from the guards would help too.

My observation is the coaches have went out and got some really good guards now and in the future, but 4's and 5's on this team just isn't there yet athletically and that should be their focus go forward.
I like Sconniers, but defensively to date not a presence and offense is still evolving. Outside of Kadi who I really like at the 4, huge upside the depth of these positions is somewhat filled with role players that are limited defensively (speed , athleticism etc) I'm hearing the Freshman big is working out well, but Freshman big in this conference is a learning experience, unless you are elite..
So this team can be solid.. Can this coaching staff take this group to another level, time will tell.

Unless Helgren improved drastically since we saw her in AAU and high school, don’t count on it. Her footwork was atrocious, and she was too slow getting down the court. These combined to make it hard for her to be effective in inside out defense.

I think the 5 spot will be mainly matchup based, we got alot of players but no big 10 starter quality big. Helgren might be able to play solid post defense against some teams but against teams like Maryland that play 5 out she'll be unplayable. Hopefully someone steps up there because the guards are deep and talented and Kadi was really impressive at the end of the season. 1-4 were good, really need some bigs to step up.

Top Bottom