2021-2022 season.

Belzx009

Reaction score
Do we think all players will actually stay?

What needs to be done in the off season to improve post play?

Will there be an transfers in?

How will the freshman fit in next year?

Will this years freshman make a bigger impact next year?

Aka I’m already bored of no basketball and need something to discuss.

As of right now, everyone is coming back along with the new recruits. The team needs to practice team defense. You don’t need to have the tallest players but you need to have the players buy in to play defense. Look at Arizona, they didn’t have the most athletic post players and were under sized going against UCONN and Stanford but still played great defense.

No idea about transfers but Lindsay needs someone who can defend in the paint and grab rebounds. Not sure if our recruits can come in and fill that need right away but I would like to see a transfer who could.

Look at Arizona, they didn’t have the most athletic post players and were under sized going against UCONN and Stanford but still played great defense.
I could have sworn everyone here was hoping Minnesota would land 6’5 Lauren Ware out of Bismarck. Good thing Arizona got stuck with her. ;)

As of right now they have 15 players on the roster for next fall including the 2 incoming freshman and the exempt senior returners (Bags and Hubbard). I don't know if they will add anyone but if they do they should play good defense and one should be a post as far as I am concerned.

Don’t some transfers happen when it becomes more established that certain players won’t reach the level they were expecting? For example, what time of year did Mercedes Staples decide to transfer?

Don’t some transfers happen when it becomes more established that certain players won’t reach the level they were expecting? For example, what time of year did Mercedes Staples decide to transfer?
Staples left at the end of the Semester (December) in 2019.

Bailey Hellene is transferring home. Good get?

Dont know much about her but shes 6'5" and averaged 5.6 rebs in 16 minutes a game this year. Doesnt look like much of a scorer. Will be her 5th year playing so shes a 1 year addition.

Any idea how impactful she could be?

I wonder why she only played 7 games this year? covid?
She might be a rim protector that we desperately need.. but I will say if she cant defend pick n rolls it will be hard to get minutes unless we play zone.
I like the pickup, have nothing to lose and somehow we need to get better up front

She might be a rim protector that we desperately need.. but I will say if she cant defend pick n rolls it will be hard to get minutes unless we play zone.
I like the pickup, have nothing to lose and somehow we need to get better up front
I was wondering the same thing. In fact I freaked out when I saw that she had only taken 10 shots before I saw the number of games played.

Well, I'd like to be greedy and get someone who could command some attention in the post in order to get Scalia, Powell and Hubbard better looks from three but I'll be happy if she can defend the post and grab some boards.

if we just had a legit '3' we would have potential... Christina Carr could be that person, I'm not sure if MN has any interest.. She might want to go big time though.. they have MN roots so might be possible.

Like two other 6'5" Kansas State posts, she opted out during the season. Whether that was because Ayoka Lee (see Shades) was THE dominant 6'5" post I don't know.

Last edited:

Like two other 6'5" Kansas State posts, she opted out during the season. Whether that was because Ayoka Lee (see Shades) was THE dominant 6'5" post I don't know.

Different teams. Lee plays for Kansas State, Helgren and the two other posts that opted out played for Kansas. A freshman from Greece was starting at Kansas over the trio of 6'-5" gals that opted out. My wild guess is that since Kansas has really sucked they decided to go all in with the freshman and hope she develops. She did end up making the All-Big 12 freshman team.

What a recruiting win for K-State with Lee. Wasn't a top rated post recruit but is now a double-double machine and now the best post in the Big 12 with Charli Collier and Nastasha Mack going on to the WNBA. She does get in foul trouble, her only big weakness.

Last edited:

Different teams. Lee plays for Kansas State, Helgren and the two other posts that opted out played for Kansas. A freshman from Greece was starting at Kansas over the trio of 6'-5" gals that opted out. My wild guess is that since Kansas has really sucked they decided to go all in with the freshman and hope she develops. She did end up making the All-Big 12 freshman team.

Thanks. I'm obviously befuddled keeping up with the transfers. Mixing up Jayhawks and Wildcats is inexcusable.

Thanks. I'm obviously befuddled keeping up with the transfers. Mixing up Jayhawks and Wildcats is inexcusable.

Man, even after decades since attending Iowa State I STILL have to pause and think for a second as to which is in Lawrence and which is in Manhattan.

Man, even after decades since attending Iowa State I STILL have to pause and think for a second as to which is in Lawrence and which is in Manhattan.

I was reading an article on Ayoka Lee from when she was a high school freshman. Too bad (for us) her "dream" didn't come true.

College recruiters are becoming aware of Lee, and she welcomes the attention.

"I definitely want to play in college," she assured. "I'd love to play for the Gophers; that would be like a dream."

Helgren was pretty uncoordinated in high school, big and slow. I never understood how she went to a P5 school. I don’t think she’s a good get for Minnesota.

Do we think all players will actually stay?

What needs to be done in the off season to improve post play?

Will there be an transfers in?

How will the freshman fit in next year?

Will this years freshman make a bigger impact next year?

Aka I’m already bored of no basketball and need something to discuss.
We know that everyone is coming back, which is nice. Everyone understands what is expected of them in terms of team play, the team goals, and the standards. With that being said, the players have to get in the gym. Hopefully we have a normal summer where people can get into the gym areas and work on their games. If that happens, I say the players need to play and get up some shots. Make 300 or more shots a day.

Transfer side. If we get a transfer, cool. They just have to understand the team culture and what is expected of them. With the incoming freshmen. I just hope that one of them is hungry enough to push for a starting five spot. No roster spot is safe in my eye. If a freshmen comes in and is super motivated and just that dawg! Oh she should get a spot. Push the so called starters and me them earn a their positions and that would answer that impact question.

I was reading an article on Ayoka Lee from when she was a high school freshman. Too bad (for us) her "dream" didn't come true.

Huge swing and a miss for closer schools in Minnesota, Iowa and Wisconsin. Doubly so for Stolling after reading that HS days quote from Lee. Dang. Not like her recruiting profile had closer teams going up against UConn and the like.

Justice Ross just announced she is transferring.

Justice Ross just announced she is transferring.
That does not surprise me. She's been injured almost full time for the two years she's been here. Only played in three games for 41 minutes last season. With everyone else coming back (so far) along with the newcomers, she'd likely struggle for playing time. Hope she can stay healthy and gets a new start somewhere that is a good fit for her.

Last edited:

That does not surprise me. She's been injured almost full time for the two years she's been here. Only played in three games for 41 minutes last season. With everyone else coming back (so far) along with the newcomers, she'd likely struggle for playing time. Hope she can stay healthy and gets a new start somewhere that is a good fit for her.
I am still guessing the U will lose 1 or 2 more. I believe Whalen will want Jenson. I understand that the Gophers a guard heavy, but I still think there will be interest in her.

Well some changes in the coaching staff. Danny O’Banion just took the head coaching job at Layola. It would be nice to get a former post in that position!

Last edited:

Top Bottom