2021-2022 Schedule

I am going to go with 5-15 based on that schedule. I'll stick with 7-3 for the non con and 1-1 at the BTT. So 13-19 for Ben's first team

I'll say 10-20, 4-16. Heck of a combo to open B1G play with. Yikes.

What's the upside to Alcorn State?

There is more upside to scheduling a local school...

Less guarantee (lower travel costs for them)
More attendance.
Not talking about $. Huge downside if you lose. The local media would have a field day. No upside if you win. In 2-3 years when the possibility of losing is 0%, then it's a different story.

What's the upside to Alcorn State?

There is more upside to scheduling a local school...

Less guarantee (lower travel costs for them)
More attendance.
You think the complaints about Ben have been bad to this point, what do you think will happen if they put up an L against St. Thomas? So the upside is a couple thousand dollars, the downside could be a career killer in one of your first few games on the job. A loss like that would be worse than your wife's recall of any of your mistakes; it will keep coming up any time you screw up. Ben would be playing with fire. I don't even know who the coach is at St. Thomas, but there would be calls to give him the Gopher job. Play a bunch of teams nobody cares about and won't remember, until your program is established.

You think the complaints about Ben have been bad to this point, what do you think will happen if they put up an L against St. Thomas? So the upside is a couple thousand dollars, the downside could be a career killer in one of your first few games on the job. A loss like that would be worse than your wife's recall of any of your mistakes; it will keep coming up any time you screw up. Ben would be playing with fire. I don't even know who the coach is at St. Thomas, but there would be calls to give him the Gopher job. Play a bunch of teams nobody cares about and won't remember, until your program is established.
I think the argument is cowardly even if it is reality. You're seriously gonna duck St. Thomas to avoid negative perception after a loss, but you're ducking St. Thomas because you "could" lose so what does that say about the program? Who cares if they lose when everyone knows they are rebuilding. It could be the start of a very fun rivalry that could be an annual celebration of D1 basketball in the twin cities now that there are multiple teams. You could even do neutral court at Us Bank or Target Center. Btw, have you seen some of the teams Nebraska has lost to over the last 2 seasons? I can assure you they are worse programs than St. Thomas likely is and I doubt that is slowing down Hoiberg's ability to recruit.

I think the argument is cowardly even if it is reality. You're seriously gonna duck St. Thomas to avoid negative perception after a loss, but you're ducking St. Thomas because you "could" lose so what does that say about the program? Who cares if they lose when everyone knows they are rebuilding. It could be the start of a very fun rivalry that could be an annual celebration of D1 basketball in the twin cities now that there are multiple teams. You could even do neutral court at Us Bank or Target Center. Btw, have you seen some of the teams Nebraska has lost to over the last 2 seasons? I can assure you they are worse programs than St. Thomas likely is and I doubt that is slowing down Hoiberg's ability to recruit.
There is no “ducking” going on. Lots of schools would love to play us every year. USD, SDSU, UND, NDSU, UNI, Drake, UW-Green Bay. Are we ducking all of them too?

We have enough rivalries already. Setting up an annual rivalry with a brand new D1 program still getting its feet wet does nothing for the Gophers. It would be great for UST, but we don’t owe them any favors. I’m sure we’ll play them at some point just like we play many of the other smaller D1 programs in the region on a semi-regular basis.

... You could even do neutral court at Us Bank or Target Center. Btw, have you seen some of the teams Nebraska has lost to over the last 2 seasons? I can assure you they are worse programs than St. Thomas likely is and I doubt that is slowing down Hoiberg's ability to recruit.
Yeah because nobody knew who they were and have forgotten if they were north central southern Utah state or south northern east Utah university. It’s different when everyone knows them, and every time they see them in the local paper everyone will remember when Ben got beat by a first year D1 program, few months removed from being in the MIAC.

There is no “ducking” going on. Lots of schools would love to play us every year. USD, SDSU, UND, NDSU, UNI, Drake, UW-Green Bay. Are we ducking all of them too?

We have enough rivalries already. Setting up an annual rivalry with a brand new D1 program still getting its feet wet does nothing for the Gophers. It would be great for UST, but we don’t owe them any favors. I’m sure we’ll play them at some point just like we play many of the other smaller D1 programs in the region on a semi-regular basis.
So in 20 years when Ben Johnson is 19-1 against St. Thomas, you're saying they're still gonna remember that first loss? :cool: We do regularly play schools like USD and UND, why not St. Thomas? The intrigue comes from the local match up and would fun for alum or fans of both schools to get together and talk trash. Saying a loss against them somehow counts more than another school of the same caliber doesn't make sense to me. Casual fans don't care about non-con games against Cleveland State, they might against St. Thomas. If it's good for the fans, should be a no-brainer.

Yeah because nobody knew who they were and have forgotten if they were north central southern Utah state or south northern east Utah university. It’s different when everyone knows them, and every time they see them in the local paper everyone will remember when Ben got beat by a first year D1 program, few months removed from being in the MIAC.
People will forget if Ben wins big so hanging on to that point doesn't make sense. So if Nebraska lost to Omaha instead it would have changed how bad they were?

So in 20 years when Ben Johnson is 19-1 against St. Thomas, you're saying they're still gonna remember that first loss? :cool: We do regularly play schools like USD and UND, why not St. Thomas? The intrigue comes from the local match up and would fun for alum or fans of both schools to get together and talk trash. Saying a loss against them somehow counts more than another school of the same caliber doesn't make sense to me. Casual fans don't care about non-con games against Cleveland State, they might against St. Thomas. If it's good for the fans, should be a no-brainer.
Because this is UST’s first year in D1. Maybe give it a few years before complaining about not playing them. I’m sure they’ll be in the rotation along with the others mentioned. Lots of graduates from the Dakota schools are in the metro area as well.

People will forget if Ben wins big so hanging on to that point doesn't make sense. So if Nebraska lost to Omaha instead it would have changed how bad they were?
Fred Hoiberg has a bit more credibility capital to spend on those types of losses than Ben does, and Ben will not win much next year so the last thing he needs is losing to a local team like St Thomas.

Fred Hoiberg has a bit more credibility capital to spend on those types of losses than Ben does, and Ben will not win much next year so the last thing he needs is losing to a local team like St Thomas.
If the reason to not play them is because Ben could lose and somehow lose all credibility as a coach, we probably should have hired a different coach. I want to believe Ben is mentally tough enough to lead our program beyond a potential loss against St. Thomas. We could also beat them by 30.

You really don't get it? It is not only just a very slim risk at a loss, but why would the U try to boost up and add credibility to a new fledgling young program in your same market? Scheduling legitimate games with them is giving fans the impression that they are worthy of playing. The U never wants anyone to think that St Thomas is a rival.

Other programs that made their way to elite status scheduled in state schools as a way to give them a shot and to grow the game of basketball.

Other programs that made their way to elite status scheduled in state schools as a way to give them a shot and to grow the game of basketball.
I think it will happen once Ben gets some of his guys and UST establishes it's program. Don't think either side wants to play this year. I think by the time Tummies are eligible for post season play will see them on the schedule every couple of years

I think it will happen once Ben gets some of his guys and UST establishes it's program. Don't think either side wants to play this year. I think by the time Tummies are eligible for post season play will see them on the schedule every couple of years
Exactly. This year is not good for either side

People still remember Monson losing an exhibition game to Winona State........

Top Bottom