2021-2022 Roster

So pitino missed out on the high rated kids and the low rated kids. Jiminy Christmas

So pitino missed out on the high rated kids and the low rated kids. Jiminy Christmas
Theres always going to be low rated kids that we should have offered in hindsight. We do this in FB all the time with the kids who go to the Dakota schools and then NFL.

Not worth beating yourself up over it. There are going to be plenty of kids that Johnson missed on and the coach after that and the coach after that. Happens to every program. Fox just wasn't a D1 caliber recruit at the time he was in HS. He wasn't even good enough to play as a freshman and had to redshirt.

Theres always going to be low rated kids that we should have offered in hindsight. We do this in FB all the time with the kids who go to the Dakota schools and then NFL.

Not worth beating yourself up over it. There are going to be plenty of kids that Johnson missed on and the coach after that and the coach after that. Happens to every program. Fox just wasn't a D1 caliber recruit at the time he was in HS. He wasn't even good enough to play as a freshman and had to redshirt.
I am guessing Trey Lance falls into that category.

Whatever the roster may be, I don't see next year being a good year for the Gophers. 12-14 place in the BIG. We sort of knew this might happen, anyways. When your best player next year will probably be Liam Robbins or Gabe you know you're in trouble. If for whatever reason Dawson Garcia opts out of Marquette (I doubt it) and comes here, then maybe we are talking about a bubble team at best. The Gophers opted to rebuild under Ben Johnson and could have had Eric Musselman, who would have taken at least three transfers with him from Arkansas. Instant Sweet 16 team under Muss. I still am puzzled. The roster next year will be a disaster piece as will the team.

Whatever the roster may be, I don't see next year being a good year for the Gophers. 12-14 place in the BIG. We sort of knew this might happen, anyways. When your best player next year will probably be Liam Robbins or Gabe you know you're in trouble. If for whatever reason Dawson Garcia opts out of Marquette (I doubt it) and comes here, then maybe we are talking about a bubble team at best. The Gophers opted to rebuild under Ben Johnson and could have had Eric Musselman, who would have taken at least three transfers with him from Arkansas. Instant Sweet 16 team under Muss. I still am puzzled. The roster next year will be a disaster piece as will the team.

I didn't know they still made those Magic 8 Balls

He'd for sure bring 3 transfers? Which 3? Arkansas made it to the Elite 8 this year. You're saying we're going to take 3 of their transfers and get within one game of that? Hard to believe both parts of that.

Musselman's contract has a stipulation that:

if Musselman leaves Arkansas, neither he nor anyone acting on his behalf will try to recruit any prospective student-athlete who was previously contacted or recruited by Arkansas for one year after Musselman’s contract is terminated, unless his new school previously recruited the student-athlete.

Disagree, you can still have a decent team with Robbins as your best player. He may be the best returning big in the conference depending on who leaves and he was going to make an all big ten team before he got hurt.

If we keep Liam, Johnson, Gabe and Gach and land additional guys like El-Amin, EJ Stephens, Fox and Race in addition to Battle, I absolutely think that team could make some noise.

And with Dawson in addition to those guys, we’d have a top 25 team and the best front court in the conference.

Disagree, you can still have a decent team with Robbins as your best player. He may be the best returning big in the conference depending on who leaves and he was going to make an all big ten team before he got hurt.

If we keep Liam, Johnson, Gabe and Gach and land additional guys like El-Amin, EJ Stephens, Fox and Race in addition to Battle, I absolutely think that team could make some noise.

And with Dawson in addition to those guys, we’d have a top 25 team and the best front court in the conference.

I love your optimism! I too am hoping Ben succeeds and is our coach for the next 15 years. I just don't know. I think we royally screwed up by not moving forward with Muss. Time will tell. This program is snake bitten to the core.

I love your optimism! I too am hoping Ben succeeds and is our coach for the next 15 years. I just don't know. I think we royally screwed up by not moving forward with Muss. Time will tell. This program is snake bitten to the core.
If you think poisonous snakes are pets, you will keep getting bitten by them to your own detriment.

May affect whether Robbins is in roster

So, as it sits right now, our roster for next year:

Liam Robbins
Isaiah Ihnen
Jamison Battle
Gabe Kalscheur
Both Gach
Treyton Thompson ***
Kenny Pohto***

Please add or correct if I'm missing someone or am incorrect.

I maintain Robbins cannot transfer again without sitting out the year.

Could easily be wrong.

So, as it sits right now, our roster for next year:

Liam Robbins
Isaiah Ihnen
Jamison Battle
Gabe Kalscheur
Both Gach
Treyton Thompson ***
Kenny Pohto***

Please add or correct if I'm missing someone or am incorrect.

Well, Johnson could still be here as well. He has the option of playing an additional year and he indicated late in the season that he was considering that.

May affect whether Robbins is in roster

I'm not sure Conroy going to Utah State would cause Robbins to move. Robbins would be one of the leading returning centers in the conference and his uncle may even advise him not to leave under the circumstances.

I'm not sure Conroy going to Utah State would cause Robbins to move. Robbins would be one of the leading returning centers in the conference and his uncle may even advise him not to leave under the circumstances.
Plus Utah State has Qaeta....edit- never mind, he is going into the draft....

I'm quite sure Musselman COULD NOT take any recruit with him per his contract. Only his recruits that were recruited by Minnesota too could go and I don't think there were any.

I'm quite sure Musselman COULD NOT take any recruit with him per his contract. Only his recruits that were recruited by Minnesota too could go and I don't think there were any.
No longer relevant, but how do they define "recruited" and how would Arkansas prove a negative that MN had not done so. It seems like there was a lot of wiggle room there.

Could easily be wrong.
Seems he transfered during COVID and got a waiver, so I would tend to agree with you.

Could easily be wrong.

Currently, he would have to sit out. The covid transfer rule is for guys who have not transferred before.

But.......we know the NCAA and how they handle transfers. Not exactly consistent.

Currently, he would have to sit out. The covid transfer rule is for guys who have not transferred before.

But.......we know the NCAA and how they handle transfers. Not exactly consistent.
Given the U transfer list he may be the only option the Gophers have next year.

So is the team going to be made up of the guys on the Women's Scout team, or will it be the A League champions of intramurals?

Top Bottom