2021-2022 College Football Coach Hire/Fire Thread

This year’s thread is getting started very early. Edsall is the first one day after he said he would retire at the end of the year.

Georgia Southern chimes in:

Georgia Southern has fired Chad Lunsford four games into his fourth full season as head coach, the school announced Sunday. Cornerbacks coach Kevin Whitley has been named interim head coach.

“After a thorough review and evaluation of our football program, I have made a decision that a change in leadership is in the best interest of our team and university,” athletic director Jared Benko said in a statement. “I want to thank Coach Lunsford for his hard work and impact he has had on the student-athletes within our program. I wish Chad and his family success in the future.”

Lunsford was 28-21 in four years, but the Eagles opened this season 1-3, including a 28-20 loss to Louisiana on Saturday after blowout losses to FAU and Arkansas.

Go Gophers!!

This is pretty unreal. They just won a title two years ago. There has to be more going on behind the scenes between him and the administration.
Him approaching all the women in Baton Rouge and some of them being spouses of important people has to be a factor

Carolina panther Oc has to be a candidate - Joe Brady
Baylor coach has to be a guy they’d want
mark stoops?

He had a great record at Nebraska, too, only one "bad" season, 7-7, and they fired him for that and have never recovered. Kind of like firing Bierman or Warmath.
I mean they made multiple conference title game appearances after that and he was a never a MAC champ.

there are some things behind the scenes happening as well.

There is a reason Ohio is where he ended up being where he spent the rest of his career. Good coach not a great coach. Them not winning national titles after him doesn’t make it a bad choice to get rid of him. The hire can be wrong and the decision to fire still correct.

Even though Jacksonville actually won a game, Urban Meyer will end up somewhere. He seems to hate the NFL and the damage is done in the locker room.

Reading The Athletic article on Orgeron, sounds like he really started to enjoy his celebrity in Louisiana after the title. Divorced his wife of 23 years and it sounds like talking to women became too big of a priority. Coincided with his team beginning to struggle.

Him approaching all the women in Baton Rouge and some of them being spouses of important people has to be a factor

mark stoops?

Just saw this after my last post about the women. Good insight by you

On Solich - Even if you cut him lose, the replacement needed to be a "Nebraska Guy" - they are still trying to dig their way out of the mess since then and have lost most of their previous identity.

LSU and Ed - Disappointing. LSU showed a lot of faith in Ed in hiring him and he helped deliver a national title. Never any consistency. Tha man can recruit.... In some respects Brewster 2.0. Needed to follow it up with consistent success.

On Solich - Even if you cut him lose, the replacement needed to be a "Nebraska Guy" - they are still trying to dig their way out of the mess since then and have lost most of their previous identity.

LSU and Ed - Disappointing. LSU showed a lot of faith in Ed in hiring him and he helped deliver a national title. Never any consistency. Tha man can recruit.... In some respects Brewster 2.0. Needed to follow it up with consistent success.
Now reading rumors his girlfriends kids were running drills with the team at practice

the guy is just unprofessional from the sounds of it. Can work well for a bit but hard to sustain.

Now reading rumors his girlfriends kids were running drills with the team at practice

the guy is just unprofessional from the sounds of it. Can work well for a bit but hard to sustain.
Self-destruction..... He did this to himself.

I’m curious who LSU gonna hire that’s better than Oregeron right now.

Top Division 1 positions open:

USC and LSU

Hot seat candidates at schools that will pay:

Miami
Nebraska
Washington State
Auburn

I am sure there are others, but it will be interesting to see what takes place this off-season. Potential for a lot of movement with the quality at the top.

If I had a nickel for every time Frank Solich was rumored (by Sid and others) to be a candidate for the Gophers' HC job, I'd have about a dollar.

I'm old enough to remember Solich as a 150 pound fullback for Bob Devaney's Huskers in the 1960s. Old school football guy from the top his head to the bottom of his feet.

I mean they made multiple conference title game appearances after that and he was a never a MAC champ.

there are some things behind the scenes happening as well.

There is a reason Ohio is where he ended up being where he spent the rest of his career. Good coach not a great coach. Them not winning national titles after him doesn’t make it a bad choice to get rid of him. The hire can be wrong and the decision to fire still correct.
Solich took the Ohio job at 61. I won't go looking for comps, but I can't imagine many head coaches are hired at better programs that are that old -- as such I think your critique is unwarranted. As we have talked about before with Mason to Brewster is that you cannot divorce the decision to fire from who you hire. It's the same with Tubby to Pitino. If you can't get someone better you make the wrong choice. Period. Bill Callahan and his west coast offense was a mistake for Nebraska -- keeping Solich around until you had "the guy" lined up was the right call.

Edit: some comps would be Herm at ASU, Mack at UNC and Les at Kansas. Kansas is worse stability than Ohio, Mack had a "homecoming" of sorts, and Herm is a modern CEO coach who was brought for his NFL pedigree. These all seem like outliers to me. Additionally Solich has been at Nebraska for 2X years, he seems like a careerist and thus ending at Ohio shouldn't be a blemish.

Last edited:

Reading The Athletic article on Orgeron, sounds like he really started to enjoy his celebrity in Louisiana after the title. Divorced his wife of 23 years and it sounds like talking to women became too big of a priority. Coincided with his team beginning to struggle.
I'd pay cash money to listen to Coach O's pick up lines/patter

Dang, look at that buyout!

mark stoops?
Things have changed since Barry did the same in 1992

Top Bottom