2020 College Football Other Games Thread: Week 2

Oh....and it's embarrassing when players gloat when they are getting killed. That Parchment guy on Kansas acted like he scored the Super Bowl winning touchdown.

Either Kansas is trash (...again) or Coastal Carolina is pretty good. I know that's not the boldest statement ever, but I don't know which one it is.

Interestingly, CC has a kid from Chanhassen starting at safety. Can't remember his name now. How does a kid from Chanhassen end up at Coastal Carolina? I mean, good for him. The scenery down there is top notch.

From the part of the game I watched, it was a bit of both.

Coastal was making plays, but a lot of big plays on offense were straight coverage collapses and etc.

Oh....and it's embarrassing when players gloat when they are getting killed. That Parchment guy on Kansas acted like he scored the Super Bowl winning touchdown.

I disagree, you gotta TRY to get your team fired up about SOMETHING. If you're horrible, it starts with one play at a time.

They know they suck...

Along with MTSU's coach last week at half. Running the clock to zero when you are at the opposing teams 10 yard line. This just doesn't make any sense.

Why did Kansas go for two when they were just down 11 here??? That don't make no sense!

Kansas' pass protection was just horrible all night. CC wasn't bring more than 6 rushers...and you've got 6 to protect. They were just overmatched.

I'll just say this....regardless of your stance on playing v. not playing....I'd rather not be playing than be Iowa State, Kansas St., or Kansas today.

I'll just say this....regardless of your stance on playing v. not playing....I'd rather not be playing than be Iowa State, Kansas St., or Kansas today.
I spent my formative years in Iowa and had many friends attend ISU (a couple who played there), so they're my adopted rooting interest while we're sans B1G. Seems fitting for a Gophers fan to choose a team who would lose at home by 17 to Louisiana while ranked in the preseason top 25. I mean that's absolutely rich right there...

Strongly disagree

Iowa State lost one of their better players (TE) before game time and lost by a couple of scores in a game they played awful special teams against a team than won a lot of games last year. Not good to lose, But better than not playing.

Both Kansas state and Kansas suffered bad losses, but both programs are in year two with a new coaching staff. Better to suffer a bad loss in 2020 and grow from it than waiting to suffer the same loss in 2021

Strongly disagree

Iowa State lost one of their better players (TE) before game time and lost by a couple of scores in a game they played awful special teams against a team than won a lot of games last year. Not good to lose, But better than not playing.

Both Kansas state and Kansas suffered bad losses, but both programs are in year two with a new coaching staff. Better to suffer a bad loss in 2020 and grow from it than waiting to suffer the same loss in 2021

I'd rather be basking in the success of the previous season than be looking at a season that is going to be embarrassing all over. Guess that's just me.

I'd rather be basking in the success of the previous season than be looking at a season that is going to be embarrassing all over. Guess that's just me.
On this board, I think it is just you that prefers to not watch football than to watch football.

I spent my formative years in Iowa and had many friends attend ISU (a couple who played there), so they're my adopted rooting interest while we're sans B1G. Seems fitting for a Gophers fan to choose a team who would lose at home by 17 to Louisiana while ranked in the preseason top 25. I mean that's absolutely rich right there...
I only happened to watch the drive where ISU scored on a nice drive. Figured it was in the bag. Obviously the wheels came off the offense in the second half.

I will say this season will be harder to determine how good a team really is. During the Navy game when they were getting thrashed by BYU, the Navy head coach said they either didn’t have contact practices or were severely limiting them. There is no way a team can be ready to play if that’s the case, especially when others are preparing like normal. Add in player absences above and beyond injuries, and this year is just getting a big asterisk beside it. If a Sun Belt team can make some noise in these conditions, more power to them. But I don’t think I’m going out and rushing to hire their coach. They may have just been the ones with the most advantageous circumstances go their way. I’m waiting to see how they do in 2021 before proclaiming anything.

Nice little read on what to watch for... wish the Gophers were playing. :(

Maybe in a month or so?

I wish the Gophers were playing too.

You said "maybe in a month or 2". I thought the Big 10 had canceled all their games this year. Are they now rethinking it?

I will say this season will be harder to determine how good a team really is. During the Navy game when they were getting thrashed by BYU, the Navy head coach said they either didn’t have contact practices or were severely limiting them. There is no way a team can be ready to play if that’s the case, especially when others are preparing like normal. Add in player absences above and beyond injuries, and this year is just getting a big asterisk beside it. If a Sun Belt team can make some noise in these conditions, more power to them. But I don’t think I’m going out and rushing to hire their coach. They may have just been the ones with the most advantageous circumstances go their way. I’m waiting to see how they do in 2021 before proclaiming anything.

I see you know that the NAVY high command only ran drills & 2 contact scrimmages before their season started? BYU is no power house. I blame NAVY's loss on that choice. You’re right, I think NAVY was totally unprepared for that game & if the don’t change their practices they will be at the bottom of the AAC at the end of the year.

Last edited:

Certainly true. To some extent this is true in every season though.
football has such a short season compared to the number of teams competing in FBS

If the ncaa ran the playoff for FBS there is zero doubt it would be either a 12 or 16 team playoff with 10 auto bids. This year more than ever each conference champ should be in.

one for each conference champ. And while many would complain they don’t want to see the MAC champion in the playoff...NDSU does just fine having the pioneer league champ in the playoff. Mount Union does just fine having the UMAC champ in the playoff. I’d argue Clemson would do just fine having the MAC champ in the playoff.

You want to watch the Gophers lose? I think you might be the only person on the board that wants that.
The gophers haven’t lost a non conference game since the Obama administration

I think I’d rather watch a game with the risk of losing than just say no football because I’m afraid of coastal Carolina. Maybe I’m alone

The gophers haven’t lost a non conference game since the Obama administration

I think I’d rather watch a game with the risk of losing than just say no football because I’m afraid of coastal Carolina. Maybe I’m alone

Did you bother to read the initial post that you responded to? I'm having my doubts.

Vikings are bad at football.
LOL, man they sure looked like it today. They'll be OK, but man, that defense has to improve quickly. Woof. Youth at CB, inexperience on the interior DL, Hunter injured. Offense showed signs of life, but for most of that game if was a joke. No real receiving threat after Thielen and same garbage on OL as last year.

But hey, they re-signed Cook to a massive 5 year deal, so that's good, right?! I saw somebody tweet this morning that the Vikes have the best cap space management team in the league. Ummm...the group that let their 3 top CB's come up for contract and walk in the same year?

On a brighter note, the Twins just swept the Indians. Sweet!

LOL, man they sure looked like it today. They'll be OK, but man, that defense has to improve quickly. Woof. Youth at CB, inexperience on the interior DL, Hunter injured. Offense showed signs of life, but for most of that game if was a joke. No real receiving threat after Thielen and same garbage on OL as last year.

But hey, they re-signed Cook to a massive 5 year deal, so that's good, right?! I saw somebody tweet this morning that the Vikes have the best cap space management team in the league. Ummm...the group that let their 3 top CB's come up for contract and walk in the same year?

100%

I knew that CB was going to be a huge problem. Letting Waynes walk was a big mistake, imo.

Yeah that sweep was dominating / huge for the division.

Top Bottom