2020 Big Ten football odds: Ohio State, Wisconsin decided division favorites (MN is real threat to win BT West)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per John:

For the last three years, the Ohio State Buckeyes have won the Big Ten Championship on the football field. In fact, they have won it four out of six times in the College Football Playoff, making it to the national semifinals on three separate occasions.

Even if superstar defensive end Chase Young, cornerback Jeffrey Okudah and running back J.K. Dobbins have left school early to be a top-two NFL Draft pick, the Buckeyes are favored to win the Big Ten again. According to SportsBetting.ag, Ryan Day’s team has -225 odds of winning the Power 5 conference.

However, there are a few teams who could end up worthy adversaries for the Buckeyes this fall.

Fate would have it that the archival Michigan Wolverines come in with the second-best odds at +350. The Wisconsin Badgers poise the biggest threat out of the Big Ten West this year at +900. The Penn State Nittany Lions (+1000), the Iowa Hawkeyes (+1600) and the Nebraska Cornhuskers (+1600) are the three other schools with +2000 odds or better.

Here are the remaining odds to win the Big Ten in the 2020 NCAA season.

2020 Big Ten odds: Ohio State, Wisconsin division favorites
  1. Ohio State -225
  2. Michigan +350
  3. Wisconsin +900
  4. Penn State +1000
  5. Iowa +1600
  6. Nebraska +1600
  7. Minnesota +2500
  8. Michigan State +3300
  9. Indiana +4000
  10. Illinois +5000
  11. Maryland +5000
  12. Northwestern +5000
  13. Purdue +5000
Note: There are no odds for Rutgers.

Ohio State should be the favorite, as the Buckeyes have Heisman Trophy finalist Justin Fields back under center for his second season in Columbus. With a game’s worth of experience in the College Football Playoff, maybe the presumptive top-two pick in the 2021 NFL Draft can lead the Buckeyes to the promised land next January?

In terms of best odds outside of the +2000-range, that would have to be the Minnesota Golden Gophers at +2500. For whatever reason, the Gophers aren’t getting the love they deserve entering 2020. They may not be as good as they were last year, but it’s not like head coach P.J. Fleck won’t have his team playing hard. Minnesota is a real threat in the Big Ten West this year.

And if you want to go real dark horse here, how about Love Smith’s Illinois Fighting Illini at +5000. This is a program that got to bowl eligibility last season and had big wins over Wisconsin, the Michigan State Spartans and put up a worthy fight against Iowa, too. They’re not winning the Big Ten, but the Illini play in the right division to at least maybe get to Indianapolis in January.

Go Gophers!!
Go Gophers!!

Despite last year's "co-champs" I get why folks would still have the Gophers on perpetual "prove it" mode as far as picking division champs.

Silly to see Nebraska up there though ... again ...

Give me those Gophs odds all day. Love it.

Honestly last year the west was pretty wide open.
Wisconsin was a couple of plays from being 11-1 but could’ve easily have lost to Iowa and been eliminated week during game 9.

I see next year as even more wide open. Wisconsin clear favorite but they’re replacing a running back and wideout who accounted for 3156 of their 4800 yards last year.
Wisconsin never has issues finding running backs but last year was unique in the past 10 years where there wasn’t really a clear number 2 who we know is the number one back for them next year. I’m sure the question mark will get answered but it’s more of a question than usual.

I thought Iowa would win the west going into last year. They were a few plays away from beating Wisconsin and winning the west last year. I’ll probably predict Iowa to win the west again.

purdue will be better next year:
Northwestern will be better next year I think. Nebraska could have a high flying offense. I’m not sure they’ll be good. But they might be good enough to disrupt the standings

This will be a fun season, if we have one. I do think not having Spring ball and potentially a shortened summer will hurt our defense. However, inthink comparatively it will help. The other top contenders have more to replace. Our offense has a history together and shouldn't take long to become dominant.

B1G West:
1. Wisconsin - Of course they have them here. Safest bet this side of OSU.
2. Iowa - Safest bet this side of Michigan/PSU.
3. Nebraska - Prognosticators are never going to learn are they? Need someone from Mizzou to pick. Cause the Huskers need to show me something before I believe anything.
4. Minnesota - Underrated again! Near entire offense back! Defense is largely replaceable save a couple players and PJ has proven to be able to make players better. I see a 1st to 3rd place finish for the Gophers.
5. Illinois - Good team last year. They need to prove it again. I see a drop back to their mean.
6. Northwestern - I don't see them getting out of the cellar. Surprised they are ranked above Purdue.
7. Purdue - I could see these guys getting as high as third. No way they have as many injuries as last year! Bank on them being above NW, Illinois, and Nebby.

I especially don’t understand Nebraska being that high considering:
@ iowa
@ Ohio state
@ wisconsin

On top of:
Cincinnati
Penn. state
Minnesota

Honestly if they don’t go 7-0 to start it means they aren’t going better than 7-5. Their last 5 is a gauntlet. I’m sure they won’t go 0-5 but they won’t go better than 2-3. And if they aren’t 7-0 that means they aren’t good enough to go better than 1-4 with a random upset.

I especially don’t understand Nebraska being that high considering:
@ iowa
@ Ohio state
@ wisconsin

On top of:
Cincinnati
Penn. state
Minnesota

Honestly if they don’t go 7-0 to start it means they aren’t going better than 7-5. Their last 5 is a gauntlet. I’m sure they won’t go 0-5 but they won’t go better than 2-3. And if they aren’t 7-0 that means they aren’t good enough to go better than 1-4 with a random upset.
Yeah, their final five is one of the toughest possible stretches on paper going into 2020.

Michigan? Nebraska?

Daily Dink Alert.

Top Bottom