2020-21 Gopher Transfers - Where Are They Now?

2nd most popular gopher players are apparently back up post players who transferred out. Right behind back up QBs…
My 2nd favorite favorite Gopher players are left handed Turkish scorers.

I still think he would have helped us last year and wish he was still at the U. I am willing to die on that hill :).

This staff didn't want Pohto. I don't know if any of you have seen him play, but he was not very impressive at Sunrise Christian. It never made sense to take two centers, especially two finesse centers (which Thompson and Pohto both are) in the same class. I have seen Pohto play a little bit this year (against UNLV and someone else) and I didn't even recognize him the first time and not just because he's got a new hairstyle. To his, and I am assuming Wichita's strength and conditioning coach, credit he's really changed his body. He's leaner and in a lot better shape and as a result moves and jumps much better than he did last year.

It's way too early to say a mistake was made here, it's a very small sample size of games for a guy playing a bench role in a smaller conference.

that guy baffles me.....he looked so out of sorts on the court last year....
There is not a type of player who was more tarnished by Pitino's style of play.

The guy will only be effective moving without the ball, cutting, back screens, etc. He would have been a much different player with our current team. I actually think the same thing is true with Ihnen.

They are guys that if they are absolutely wide open, they can shoot. They are athletic enough to cut and be a problem and they aren't great rebounders.

This staff didn't want Pohto. I don't know if any of you have seen him play, but he was not very impressive at Sunrise Christian. It never made sense to take two centers, especially two finesse centers (which Thompson and Pohto both are) in the same class. I have seen Pohto play a little bit this year (against UNLV and someone else) and I didn't even recognize him the first time and not just because he's got a new hairstyle. To his, and I am assuming Wichita's strength and conditioning coach, credit he's really changed his body. He's leaner and in a lot better shape and as a result moves and jumps much better than he did last year.

It's way too early to say a mistake was made here, it's a very small sample size of games for a guy playing a bench role in a smaller conference.
I don’t think Ben ever had a chance with him. He was recruited here by Pitino’s assistant who had a direct connection to Sunrise Academy. Once those coaches were gone, he was going somewhere else. Even if Ben had offered the moon, I doubt he would have stayed.

I don’t think Ben ever had a chance with him. He was recruited here by Pitino’s assistant who had a direct connection to Sunrise Academy. Once those coaches were gone, he was going somewhere else. Even if Ben had offered the moon, I doubt he would have stayed.
You may well be correct. However, the assistant that we had who recruited Kenny is not at Wichita State either....so am not sure why we would have had no shot at a guy who had committed our University.

You may well be correct. However, the assistant that we had who recruited Kenny is not at Wichita State either....so am not sure why we would have had no shot at a guy who had committed our University.

Maybe he chose Wichita because he was comfortable in the area (it's also a successful program of course). He certainly had an easy physical move.

Maybe he chose Wichita because he was comfortable in the area (it's also a successful program of course). He certainly had an easy physical move.
yep, maybe

Wichita is 6-1 with victories over Missouri and Oklahoma State and a 4 point overtime loss to Arizona (statistically rated as the top team right now by Sports Reference). Prior to the pandemic season, Wichita State had 11 straight seasons with 20 or more wins and 4 of those seasons had 30 or more wins. They have been in the NCAA tournament 8 of the last 10 years. This is not a podunk backwater program. Averaging 17 minutes a game as a freshman for that program is an accomplishment.

I'm amazed by the pretensions of some people on this board just because the U happens to be in the Big Ten. It's sort of like living in an affluent community and casting aspersions at people living in a less affluent one even though your house is one of the shabbiest and most run down houses in your community.

Sunrise Academy is in a suburb of Wichita, maybe he knew some of the players and felt comfortable there after playing / years at Sunrise

I always assume we will lose any non-local recruits when you change coaches. Why would they come here? Recruiting is, at least partially, about relationships and they now are committing to play for someone they don't hold the same connection?

I'm still interested where these guys go and how they end up doing because I have sort of invested time and energy into following them.

I wish him luck and I don't blame Ben for not being able to keep him (or being interested).

You do realize Sunrise Christian Academy is in Wichita right? I think several Shocker players have made the short trip across town.

Wichita is 6-1 with victories over Missouri and Oklahoma State and a 4 point overtime loss to Arizona (statistically rated as the top team right now by Sports Reference). Prior to the pandemic season, Wichita State had 11 straight seasons with 20 or more wins and 4 of those seasons had 30 or more wins. They have been in the NCAA tournament 8 of the last 10 years. This is not a podunk backwater program. Averaging 17 minutes a game as a freshman for that program is an accomplishment.

I'm amazed by the pretensions of some people on this board just because the U happens to be in the Big Ten. It's sort of like living in an affluent community and casting aspersions at people living in a less affluent one even though your house is one of the shabbiest and most run down houses in your community.
Not sure about the final sentence, but I do think where college bb is concerned, need to get more used to separating a specific program from their conference affiliation. Good is good, regardless of what conference a school may be in. We're seeing that more even early in a season as schools get ranked that normally have to wait 50% or two-third's of a season to get the attention they probably deserve.

You do realize Sunrise Christian Academy is in Wichita right? I think several Shocker players have made the short trip across town.
Always at least one on the Shocker roster, with as many as four in a couple of seasons since 2014

There is not a type of player who was more tarnished by Pitino's style of play.

The guy will only be effective moving without the ball, cutting, back screens, etc. He would have been a much different player with our current team. I actually think the same thing is true with Ihnen.

They are guys that if they are absolutely wide open, they can shoot. They are athletic enough to cut and be a problem and they aren't great rebounders.
Style of play and style of communication. Will be interesting to see if Craig Smith can harness him and make him more efficient.

Not sure about the final sentence, but I do think where college bb is concerned, need to get more used to separating a specific program from their conference affiliation. Good is good, regardless of what conference a school may be in. We're seeing that more even early in a season as schools get ranked that normally have to wait 50% or two-third's of a season to get the attention they probably deserve.

Well, the last sentence was Irishness but not far from the mark I think. We have a shabby and rundown basketball house compared to our peers. An idiot athletic director named Teague decided to re-up the same contractor for an extended contract that made him prohibitively expensive to fire for some time. Then, he did just enough to hang on until he built two lousy seasons in a row and his contract balance dwindled. Still, our current AD appeared very concerned about doing that firing as cheaply as he possibly could. Then, he hired another contractor on the cheap. Maybe this one will show that he is undervalued. I hope so. It seems that current resources are devoted to our football program and I certainly can't argue with that decision at present.

But, to your bigger point, yes, good is good regardless of conference. Gonzaga should have taught us that; and, as it turns out, the other teams in that conference have improved as well. The conference Wichita plays in has some very good programs already (including them). More may follow or others may drop and be replaced by more ambitious programs.

that guy baffles me.....he looked so out of sorts on the court last year....
Just a guess but I think he got fed up over never seeing the ball. He's super fast and has the ability to get open. Also, he was slowed by at least one injury.

Just a guess but I think he got fed up over never seeing the ball. He's super fast and has the ability to get open. Also, he was slowed by at least one injury.
Agree, you lose concentration and focus when there is no ball movement.

We also had almost no cutting in our offense last year. Most systems, if you're really fast and an OK dribbler, you can be a real problem on offense by cutting and weaving. Our offense last year was a ton of sitting on the outside and pretending that is "spacing".

Gach would actually have looked pretty good on this year's Gopher team. But the talents he did have were squandered by our system last year.

Gach had 28 against USC last game out. 10/14 from the field, 3/5 from 3. Had been less than stellar prior to that game. From what I can tell these guys are about the same players. Last year we have that stretch we beat Mich/Iowa/OSU/MSU and then we lay egg after egg. Carr/Gach/Gabe have all flashed that upside this year, but also had the clunker games where they look like 8th men on a good team.

Sounds like he was dressed. Strange that he would start the previous game and then get nothing here.
Oregon St is terrible. Like really bad. I watched a little bit of their game yesterday against Arizona, and while AZ is very talented, Oregon St is just horrible.

Oregon St is terrible. Like really bad. I watched a little bit of their game yesterday against Arizona, and while AZ is very talented, Oregon St is just horrible.
I caught a little bit of Oregon St. vs. Wake Forest over Thanksgiving weekend. The game was tied and crunch time, with under 5 minutes left. Tre was playing. He took an ill-advised 3-pointer (airball) and then lost his defender the next possession for an easy layup and was pulled out of the game. They ended up losing the game in OT.

Tre must be hurt because he's definitely a rotational player on that team.

Top Bottom