2020-21 Gopher Transfers - Where Are They Now?

Why didn’t he stay at the U?
Seriously? He followed his coach and transferred to the coaches new school. Mashburn Sr. and Pitino Sr had a connection from his playing days at Kentucky and I’m sure that’s the main reason that Jr came to play for Pitino in the first place. Finally, he knew if he followed Pitino to New Mexico he could play Carr’s roll and dribble around till the shot clock winds down and shoot whatever he wants. How’s that for an explanation?

Seriously? He followed his coach and transferred to the coaches new school. Mashburn Sr. and Pitino Sr had a connection from his playing days at Kentucky and I’m sure that’s the main reason that Jr came to play for Pitino in the first place. Finally, he knew if he followed Pitino to New Mexico he could play Carr’s roll and dribble around till the shot clock winds down and shoot whatever he wants. How’s that for an explanation?
The at is really good explanation!

Obviously it sucks for this year, but being around the program when Gaston was here for four years Ben knows what's it's like to have a black hole sucking up space

Gaston? That's a spectacularly lazy take.

Pohto is averaging 17.6 minutes/game as a freshman for a 4-1 team that is a very respectable program. He's averaging 6.6 points per game, 2.8 rebounds, 1 assist, and 1 steal in those minutes. That translates to about 15 points a game over 40 minutes. His shooting isn't so hot but that's pretty common for a freshman.

Pohto has scored 33 points and played 88 minutes in the first 5 games of his career.

Gaston scored 54 point and played 361 minutes in his entire four year career (and those were for injury riddled and thin rosters most of the time).

If he stays healthy, Pohto likely will eclipse Gaston's career scoring about halfway through his freshman season and Gaston's four year total minutes before the end of his freshman year.

After 4 games, Gabe is averaging 11.5 field goal attempts per game (a career high) while compiling a True Shooting Percentage that is a career low (an abysmal .407). He also has a Win Shares Per 40 minutes measure of .051 which is dead last (by a wide margin) among the top 9 Iowa State players in minutes played.

To put that Win Shares per 40 measure in perspective, the lowest measure among our top 7 players so far this season is .131 (Charlie Daniels). So far, Sean Sutherlin has the highest measure on the team at .318 (great score). I'd say losing Gabe but getting Sean Sutherlin looks like a great tradeoff so far and so does getting Willis, Battle, Stephens, and Loewe.

Last edited:

I was one who thought losing Gabe as a bad sign (SR, MN kid, specifically DeLaSalle kid) but man he appears to be still totally lost. I don't think Johnson kicked him out per se but seems like its working out that he decided to move on.

Again, I am still worried about the meat grinder of the B1G season but I am happy to admit thus far Johnson has pushed the right buttons with transfers in/out and the team overall. It's early so I can't shake all my skepticism but have to give the staff/ team props thus far!

Gaston? That's a spectacularly lazy take.

Pohto is averaging 17.6 minutes/game as a freshman for a 4-1 team that is a very respectable program. He's averaging 6.6 points per game, 2.8 rebounds, 1 assist, and 1 steal in those minutes. That translates to about 15 points a game over 40 minutes. His shooting isn't so hot but that's pretty common for a freshman.

Pohto has scored 33 points and played 88 minutes in the first 5 games of his career.

Gaston scored 54 point and played 361 minutes in his entire four year career (and those were for injury riddled and thin rosters most of the time).

If he stays healthy, Pohto likely will eclipse Gaston's career scoring about halfway through his freshman season and Gaston's four year total minutes before the end of his freshman year.
First off, appreciate the leg work you did to prove that Gaston was a four year blackhole. Second I'm assuming the point of your post is that Kenny Pohto will not be a black hole, which after watching a couple of Wichita State games I tend to agree, think he has a nice shooting touch. But my initial post wasn't meant to compare the two players, it was to prove that Johnson was around when a player who wasn't going to produce took a spot for four years, so if he thought Kenny couldn't play in the Big Ten then why take the guy and make a four year commitment when you can go get guys that you like into the program. Will see what happens, even the great Ben Johnson will get it wrong at times evaluating talent. I like Pohto's shot, but he's seems a little soft down in the post, which you can't have that in the Big Ten, so maybe Wichita State will end up being the perfect spot for him

Reusse opined yesterday that Ben was very confident about getting Dawson Garcia and a couple of the other bigger name MN kids to transfer back home and that's why didn't try that hard to convince anyone to stay. Obviously that backfired if true.
Johnson won’t get anyone really great. Just the average kids while the elites head out of town
Gophers won’t be a contender with him as coach

I was one who thought losing Gabe as a bad sign (SR, MN kid, specifically DeLaSalle kid) but man he appears to be still totally lost. I don't think Johnson kicked him out per se but seems like its working out that he decided to move on.

Again, I am still worried about the meat grinder of the B1G season but I am happy to admit thus far Johnson has pushed the right buttons with transfers in/out and the team overall. It's early so I can't shake all my skepticism but have to give the staff/ team props thus far!
interesting take........me, im taking Gabe over Luke Loewe every day of the week.....and i bet if BJ had a choice he would feel the same

interesting take........me, im taking Gabe over Luke Loewe every day of the week.....and i bet if BJ had a choice he would feel the same
Based on what? He's averaging more turnovers than assists this year and has a lower shooting percentage than Loewe. He's a great defender, but Loewe isn't far off from the small sample size we've seen. I don't think Loewe is significantly better than Gabe, but I certainly don't see it as an "every day of the week" difference.

Based on what? He's averaging more turnovers than assists this year and has a lower shooting percentage than Loewe. He's a great defender, but Loewe isn't far off from the small sample size we've seen. I don't think Loewe is significantly better than Gabe, but I certainly don't see it as an "every day of the week" difference.
Gabe is the superior defender....
Gabe is a better 3 point shooter....and thats saying something....
Gabe is better at getting to the free throw line....(more aggressive which will lead to more TO's)
Gabe is averaging 14 points on a Iowa State team who has played a much better schedule then the 7 points a game Luke has put up against lesser competition....

Luke is better in the assiste/TO stat for sure....but he is also a lot less aggressive on the offensive end

Loewe is not better then Gabe.....and thats not a shot at Loewe either....i like him as a player and we could have done a lot worse then him! I am very interested in how he is going to look on the floor with better compeition

Just my opinion....but i do see an every day of the week difference between the 2

now saying this i hope you can rubbed this in my face numerous times throughout the year as Loewe lights up the big ten

It is interesting to watch Carr's stats at Texas. Last I looked he was getting about 26 minutes per game and scoring just under 7 ppg...not shooting well, but pretty good on assists. It is pretty obvious, at least at this point that he is being asked to adapt. We'll see how that goes. Tough kid, I hope he finds his sweet spot there and finally is on a winning team...something he has not had much of during his career.

Gabe is better at getting to the free throw line....(more aggressive which will lead to more TO's)
Gabe is averaging 14 points on a Iowa State team who has played a much better schedule then the 7 points a game Luke has put up against lesser competition....

Luke is better in the assiste/TO stat for sure....but he is also a lot less aggressive on the offensive end

Loewe is not better then Gabe.....and thats not a shot at Loewe either....i like him as a player and we could have done a lot worse then him! I am very interested in how he is going to look on the floor with better compeition

Just my opinion....but i do see an every day of the week difference between the 2

now saying this i hope you can rubbed this in my face numerous times throughout the year as Loewe lights up the big ten
Is he a better 3 point shooter? I'd rather have the guy that knows he's not great shooting 3s only taking 13 attempts than the guy who thinks he's great taking 31. And on this team with Battle, Willis, and Sutherlin I'm fine with Loewe not being aggressive.

As you say though, time will tell. I hope I'm still right in the end.

Know it’s been hash and rehashed. Carr, Robbins, Mashburn were almost certainly gone. The one that’s bugging me now, after seeing a small sample size, is Pohto. That’s the one I can’t figure out, unless of course Pohto wanted out.

As a footnote to Gabe’s 30 points against Memphis, he guarded and held Emoni Bates to 12 points.

It is interesting to watch Carr's stats at Texas. Last I looked he was getting about 26 minutes per game and scoring just under 7 ppg...not shooting well, but pretty good on assists. It is pretty obvious, at least at this point that he is being asked to adapt. We'll see how that goes. Tough kid, I hope he finds his sweet spot there and finally is on a winning team...something he has not had much of during his career.
Good points and Marcus just needed a steady hand To guide him to his next level - worst case he gets to live abroad and make a six figure income!

Know it’s been hash and rehashed. Carr, Robbins, Mashburn were almost certainly gone. The one that’s bugging me now, after seeing a small sample size, is Pohto. That’s the one I can’t figure out, unless of course Pohto wanted out.
I'm never surprised at what college athletes do anymore when it come to decisions on whether to transfer. We miss all those guys because they are likely better players (for the most part) than what we will roll with and I agree that the four you mention at the top were expected. The guy who I think would have been a big contributor who isn't talked about a lot is Brandon Johnson. As for Pohto, Johnson didn't recruit him (either at Minnesota or Xavier), so it's understandable that high school kids want to commit to a place where some level of relationship has been established. We sure could use another banger and it sounds like he could have contributed out of the gate.

Johnson won’t get anyone really great. Just the average kids while the elites head out of town
Gophers won’t be a contender with him as coach
I wish I had the kind of confidence to boldly proclaim things I couldn't possibly know.

Will Ben make us a contender? Odds are that he probably won't. It's really hard to become a contender, so just the mathematical odds are slim.

I'll say this though, Ben has me hopeful. He clearly understands modern basketball. Pitino thought that just meant "chuck more threes". He has a rag tag bunch playing better than I thought they would. And he's landed one of my favorite local recruit in years (Payne). So I'm hopeful.

He had connections to one of Pitino’s assistants who came from Sunrise Academy. He was gone when Pitino was gone. I doubt anything Ben could have said would have kept him here.

He had connections to one of Pitino’s assistants who came from Sunrise Academy. He was gone when Pitino was gone. I doubt anything Ben could have said would have kept him here.
Thanks. That would explain it. Really looking forward to Payne next year.

I wish I had the kind of confidence to boldly proclaim things I couldn't possibly know.

Yes, I've never understood that either. While there are substantial rewards for doing that sort of thing correctly on a regular basis in some arenas (like fund management), there are absolutely no rewards for that practice on a message board.

Yes, I've never understood that either. While there are substantial rewards for doing that sort of thing correctly on a regular basis in some arenas (like fund management), there are absolutely no rewards for that practice on a message board.
With fund management, at least you're reading tea leaves. They would certainly hedge their bet on something that is a complete unknown.

This guy essentially is betting it all on a coin flip. He isn't akin to fund management, it's more like roulette.

Enough re-writing history. Most of you guys bitched when they signed Pohto, so get real about how much you guys really wanted him. We will never know why he changed his commitment, but he did.
2nd most popular gopher players are apparently back up post players who transferred out. Right behind back up QBs…

Top Bottom