2020-21 Gopher Transfers - Where Are They Now?

- Texas plays Gonzaga tomorrow night. That will be a fun (hopefully) game. Go Longhorns.
- I guess I forgot.....Robbins has to sit a year because he already got a free transfer? He didn't play in Vandy's first game.
- Johnson had a nice first game for Depaul. 7 boards and 13 points on 6-11 shooting. He would have been a major help on this Gophers team.
- Kalscheur had high points (19) and minutes (33) in Iowa State's first game. Got to the line for 13!! free throws. Still only went 1-6 on threes and added 6 turnovers. Will be interesting to see how the Cyclones play this year.
- Gach in the same boat as Robbins I'm guessing.
- Tre only logged 13 minutes for Oregon State. Three other guards logged 33, 28, and 26. We'll see if that sticks moving forward. Those other three are all juniors too.....so they'll likely be around next year. Tre would have had big minutes here.

After seeing Daniels, are we sure Freeman is better than him or Curry? I understand the logic of added depth, but I don’t know if he’d play ahead of him unless he got better at defending. Pacific is a good fit for Freeman imo. He still only played 15 mins there though too. Don’t know if it was cause the game was out of hand or he had foul trouble.
Going to be interesting what bigs we add via the portal to add to Payne next spring.

Better is hard to say. But Freeman got extremely limited minutes up until our front court was decimated. One of the big complaints with Pitino. Ran the starters raw.....even in games that we should have been able to give backups some run. Who knows what Freeman could have developed into. All I know is that our front court depth is paper thin and we could have used him.

- Texas plays Gonzaga tomorrow night. That will be a fun (hopefully) game. Go Longhorns.
- I guess I forgot.....Robbins has to sit a year because he already got a free transfer? He didn't play in Vandy's first game.
- Johnson had a nice first game for Depaul. 7 boards and 13 points on 6-11 shooting. He would have been a major help on this Gophers team.
- Kalscheur had high points (19) and minutes (33) in Iowa State's first game. Got to the line for 13!! free throws. Still only went 1-6 on threes and added 6 turnovers. Will be interesting to see how the Cyclones play this year.
- Tre only logged 13 minutes for Oregon State. Three other guards logged 33, 28, and 26. We'll see if that sticks moving forward. Those other three are all juniors too.....so they'll likely be around next year. Tre would have had big minutes here.

foot injury for Robbins, looks like he could miss big chunk of season

foot injury for Robbins, looks like he could miss big chunk of season

Too bad. Hope he gets well and puts up big numbers.....whenever that may be.

Didn't Carr have a transfer under his belt already? Why is he playing when Robbins and Gach aren't?

Didn't Carr have a transfer under his belt already? Why is he playing when Robbins and Gach aren't?
Carr transferred, but he already sat out and could easily use a grad transfer at this point which I'm assuming is what happened. Gach and liam transferred already and did not sit and have not graduated since both are going into their true senior years this season.

Better is hard to say. But Freeman got extremely limited minutes up until our front court was decimated. One of the big complaints with Pitino. Ran the starters raw.....even in games that we should have been able to give backups some run. Who knows what Freeman could have developed into. All I know is that our front court depth is paper thin and we could have used him.
I hear you on the lack of depth, but who’s to say he would play above Thompson who hasn’t played yet? Im not disagreeing with anything about Pitino, but I’m pretty sure this staff didn’t even reach out to Freeman to stay and he didn’t reach out to them either. It’s odd to me that some still want him even though he’s transferred and doesn’t even start on Pacific.

I hear you on the lack of depth, but who’s to say he would play above Thompson who hasn’t played yet? Im not disagreeing with anything about Pitino, but I’m pretty sure this staff didn’t even reach out to Freeman to stay and he didn’t reach out to them either. It’s odd to me that some still want him even though he’s transferred and doesn’t even start on Pacific.

I'm thinking that Thompson hasn't played much because he is a stick. He'd get pushed around under the hoop. Center is a tough position for guys to step in and play immediately unless they are elite talents. Many have to put on some muscle in order to play with the older, bigger centers and forward. Don't think Freeman has that issue.

I'm thinking that Thompson hasn't played much because he is a stick. He'd get pushed around under the hoop. Center is a tough position for guys to step in and play immediately unless they are elite talents. Many have to put on some muscle in order to play with the older, bigger centers and forward. Don't think Freeman has that issue.
Yeah Freeman’s issue is lateral quickness and defensive positioning. His offensive limitations obviously wouldn’t matter considering we play Daniels. Agree on why Thompson hasn’t played yet. I do think Thompson can play positional defense well though. Not fair to say what Freeman would do with this staff on my part though.

I'm wondering at this point if we only see him if Curry/Daniels get hurt (knock on wood) and he redshirts.

Gabe 15 pts last night in 6-17 shooting 2-8 from 3. Iowa State beat Oregon State by 10, 4 pts from Tre Tre Williams

was Marcus Carr tonight. Just look at the box score. Also, Chet won’t be one and done.

Marcus Carr had nothing to do with Timme’s 37 points. Texas did not have the size to compete with Gonzaga on either end of the court. Their starting front court was 6-7 and 6-6. Texas will continue to gel and improve.

He did not play the 5 in the exhibition game he played the 4, I'm sure it has to do with the need to win and the closeness of the games at this point, I hope he improves enough to give Battle a break sometime soon.

Watching Oregon State. Tre not playing much. Doesn’t start. Just got benched with about 5 minutes left because he fell asleep on defense.

In reading the lobo forums, they make Pitino sound like the second coming of John Wooden.
Prove it. I just looked at The Lair, and I’m seeing a lot of negativity. They are already recognizing familiar patterns. Look through the game thread.

I enjoyed this recent post about “team identity”. I bolded some familiar bits:

This Team has no recognizable Offensive or Defensive Identity it’s like watching an All-Star game.​
Once the game starts an athletes skill level and their mental and physical toughness preparedness and maintaining their Best Effort is all a competitive athlete is in control of once the game starts. After that it’s up to the HC to coach and regulate his players and his teams competitive edge.​
Rebounding and Defense are all about Effort and Toughness and we got “Out Toughed” in both categories and this is a serious Team issue but it is not complicated.​
Both are crucial components to playing Smart Tough Defense and having the ability as a team to effectively Rebound and only allow your opponents ”one shot” at the basket “one possession at a time.”​
Rebounding does require absolute effort toughness determination and focus by every athlete on the floor to be a good rebounding team— Not just the Bigs.​
When our opponents shoot the ball everyone on the floor has ONE responsibility—Box Out the person you are guarding and then go secure the ball for your team!​
At first I thought our Bigs we’re not mentally and physically prepared to compete last night but as the game moved on I noticed the Bigs weren’t getting ANY good touches from the Backcourt. The Backcourt didn’t seem interested in sharing the ball or looking inside for Post play opportunities. Rebounding was not something this team and especially the Bigs could stay focused on because they would get lulled to sleep because they never get any touches as either House or Mashburn play ISO ball taking random shots from all over the court making it difficult for anyone on offense to establish or maintain offensive rebounding position when no one on the Team knows who what where and when the next shot is coming from.​
Pitino rarely runs a play for the Frontcourt. His offensive strategy seems to rely on setting a high pick and roll action above the 3 point stripe for House or Mashburn or one at the Free Throw line for a pick and roll action for a Big that Forsling easily scored on twice in a row.​
Pitino allows his guards free reign to create playing their “seat of your pants hero ball offense” that keeps any team offense as an alternative which keeps the rest of the team disorganized as a result the team is not be able to get in position to even secure a minimum of 10 Offensive Rebounds per game to rack up easy points at the rim or in the paint and second chance points that actually Win games.​
Don’t get me wrong it’s OK to create but that shouldn’t be what a team offense is predicated on. There is No Team in ISO basketball.​
Also Defensive Rebounding is a critical part of “team defense” and it requires fighting for and maintaining a solid box out position with grit and determination and when your opponent shoots the ball every player on the floor has a personal responsibility to box out the person they are guarding and maintaining their box out position until our team has secured the ball to limit our opponents excess shot opportunities.​
Lastly Pitino and his team defensively doesn’t put a premium on the Helpline or Help Defense as weak side defenders idly watch our opponents score unchallenged buckets in their faces. As a Help or Weak Side defender near the Basket you Have to Move Over and HELP to alter and block shots and Stop and Guard against All Lane penetrations which Pitinos team clearly doesn’t value or understand or both.​
This team is very talented with High potential but it will continue to shoot itself in the foot and struggle and will remain more on the wrong side of the Win/Loss category until Pitino establishes a TEAM offensive and defensive identity and stops relying on hero ball offense that left House to the point of complete exhaustion(one reason he fouled out)​
At this point if Pitino doesn’t insure team balance offensively demand team rebounding effort and Help Defense improvement and start using his bench to give everyone a short rest this team will remain sporadically unpredictable an inefficient offensively and defensively which would be a complete waste of talent and skill this young team currently possesses and unfortunately these repetitive tendencies we all witness will be completely exposed by our tougher MWC opponents.
This Team has the potential to be much much better with a few adjustments.​
Team- Offensive and Defensive Identity Matters!​
This topic was modified 1 day ago by BAD DAWG

Top Bottom