2020-21 Gopher Transfers - Where Are They Now?

RogueGopher

Reaction score
Marcus Carr - Texas
Liam Robbins - Vanderbilt
Jamal Mashburn Jr. - New Mexico
Brandon Johnson - Depaul
Gabe Kalscheur - Iowa State
Both Gach - Utah
Tre Williams - Oregon State
Sam Freeman - Pacific
Martice Mitchell - Northern Illinois -> *no longer on the team
Jarvis Omersa - St Thomas -> *no longer on the team

Last edited:

Yes, didn't Jarvis give up basketball, for unannounced reasons?

Marcus Carr - Texas
Liam Robbins - Vanderbilt
Jamal Mashburn - New Mexico
Brandon Johnson - Depaul
Gabe Kalscheur - Iowa State
Both Gach - Utah
Tre Williams - Oregon State
Sam Freeman - Pacific
Martice Mitchell - Northern Illinois
Jarvis Omersa - St Thomas -> *no longer on the team
Not a bad lineup!

I’m sure you were not very happy with that lineup last year.
I was very happy with it the first half of the year. Top 25 at the time I think. Then.... no Robbins, no Gabe and Gach got lost, things went downhill. I would have loved to have seen what this staff could have done with them. But that's not what happened in our new world of free agency.

I was very happy with it the first half of the year. Top 25 at the time I think. Then.... no Robbins, no Gabe and Gach got lost, things went downhill. I would have loved to have seen what this staff could have done with them. But that's not what happened in our new world of free agency.
I would have loved to see what last years staff could have done with them plus a couple of top players from the transfer portal.

Both Gach eligibility case remains in limbo​

A fourth-year junior who transferred back to Utah after spending last season at the University of Minnesota, Both Gach sat out Tuesday’s opener while he and the Utes await an NCAA ruling on his eligibility status.

As a two-time transfer, Gach, who spent the 2019 and 2020 seasons at Utah, does not fall under the NCAA’s new first-time transfer legislation, which allows for immediate eligibility.

There is no timetable for the NCAA to produce a decision, so Utah has no choice but to continue waiting. Gach went through Utah’s summer program, as well as preseason. To that end, Utes head coach Craig Smith has said that if and when Gach is deemed eligible, he will be inserted into the lineup.

Both Gach eligibility case remains in limbo​

A fourth-year junior who transferred back to Utah after spending last season at the University of Minnesota, Both Gach sat out Tuesday’s opener while he and the Utes await an NCAA ruling on his eligibility status.

As a two-time transfer, Gach, who spent the 2019 and 2020 seasons at Utah, does not fall under the NCAA’s new first-time transfer legislation, which allows for immediate eligibility.

There is no timetable for the NCAA to produce a decision, so Utah has no choice but to continue waiting. Gach went through Utah’s summer program, as well as preseason. To that end, Utes head coach Craig Smith has said that if and when Gach is deemed eligible, he will be inserted into the lineup.
NCAA doing him dirty. Let the kid play.

I don't think it was ever realistic to keep Marcus or Liam as I think Marcus was out of Minnesota regardless and Liam was always tied to Uncle Ed. With the benefit of seeing how poorly the Minnesota roster was constructed, I'd love to have retained Brandon, Gabe, and Both. Brandon would play all the minutes he wants on this roster. Gabe's shot may have always been a fluke (recent thought: imagine where Minnesota could be now if Freshman Gabe shot like Sophomore or Junior Gabe?). Didn't care one way or another about Both initially, but he's at least had some impressive games in the past at Utah. Given the way the roster ended up, it certainly would have been worth it to see if his struggles last year were related to injuries/coaching. I am more than fine with the rest moving on. Realistically finding a way to retain Brandon, Gabe, and Both (seems like a low bar to clear) wouldn't have made this team a likely NCAA tournament team anyway.

I am interested to see how the kids attached to the A&M assistant, Jamie McNeilly, that ended up at TCU do. That's a story that hasn't got any traction at all in this market. Emanuel Miller averaged 16 and 8 for A&M last year and McNeilly (relative) was a fairly highly regarded recruit and supposedly good shooter as a guard who had some sort of issue that kept him from playing as a Freshman.

Senior Marcus Carr registered a team-best seven assists and posted a plus-minus total of plus-44 in 22 minutes.

StartersPTSREBASTFG3PTFTPFMINSTLBLKTO
C. Ramey 14225/74/50/0120000
A. Jones 11124/73/60/0224501
M. Carr 10354/71/31/212600

StartersPTSREBASTFG3PTFTPFMINSTLBLKTO
C. Ramey 14225/74/50/0120000
A. Jones 11124/73/60/0224501
M. Carr 10354/71/31/212600

Last edited:

My days of worrying about Robbins' health are long past...

I don't think it was ever realistic to keep Marcus or Liam as I think Marcus was out of Minnesota regardless and Liam was always tied to Uncle Ed. With the benefit of seeing how poorly the Minnesota roster was constructed, I'd love to have retained Brandon, Gabe, and Both. Brandon would play all the minutes he wants on this roster. Gabe's shot may have always been a fluke (recent thought: imagine where Minnesota could be now if Freshman Gabe shot like Sophomore or Junior Gabe?). Didn't care one way or another about Both initially, but he's at least had some impressive games in the past at Utah. Given the way the roster ended up, it certainly would have been worth it to see if his struggles last year were related to injuries/coaching. I am more than fine with the rest moving on. Realistically finding a way to retain Brandon, Gabe, and Both (seems like a low bar to clear) wouldn't have made this team a likely NCAA tournament team anyway.

I am interested to see how the kids attached to the A&M assistant, Jamie McNeilly, that ended up at TCU do. That's a story that hasn't got any traction at all in this market. Emanuel Miller averaged 16 and 8 for A&M last year and McNeilly (relative) was a fairly highly regarded recruit and supposedly good shooter as a guard who had some sort of issue that kept him from playing as a Freshman.
The argument could be made that if we had gotten those two kids and Fox and Ihnen hadn't gotten injured we would be looking at a whole different kind of year. Ah well...

Tre Williams came off the bench for Oregon State. He logged 13 minutes and 4 pts—a pretty similar stat line to his MN days.

Not a recent one but I just saw Jamir Harris is now at Seton Hall. Add him to list of guys who didnt play game 1 and Pitino could never do anything with....would have been nice to have on those teams

Martice Mitchell actually isn't on the Northern Illinois roster anymore, not sure what happened with him
I contacted the Northern Illinois sports information department today. They told me that Mitchell signed with the Huskies last spring, but didn't ever enroll. I looked at his Twitter, but he doesn't really seem active on there. Will try to track that down this week. Speaking of the Huskies, they upset Washington on the road

Yes, didn't Jarvis give up basketball, for unannounced reasons?
Omersa announced his move to St. Thomas on social media in the spring, but St. Thomas never did a release on his addition. The talk was that he didn't want to get vaccinated and never joined the team. There had been rumors that he might try to play both football and basketball for the Tommies

Omersa announced his move to St. Thomas on social media in the spring, but St. Thomas never did a release on his addition. The talk was that he didn't want to get vaccinated and never joined the team. There had been rumors that he might try to play both football and basketball for the Tommies
Omersa was practicing with UST over the summer.

Top Bottom